• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Bizarre Railway Neologism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Which were the relevant old railway companies?
Late & Never Early - LNER - London & North Eastern
Slow & Dirty - S & D - Somerset & Dorset

The reinterpretation of initials seems to have started very early: the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway was already known as the "Old Worse & Worse" by 1860, when it ceased to exist, on merger into the West Midland Railway (itself later merged with the GWR) .
The GWR (Great Western Railway) itself was either God's Wonderful Railway or the Great Way Round, depending on loyalty. There was some truth in the latter nickname, when the only route to South Wales was via Gloucester and that to the West country was via Bristol

Midland & Great Northern - Muddle & Go Nowhere

Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire (MS&LR) to investors, Money Sunk & Lost: to passengers, Mucky, Slow and Late
later the Great Central - GC (now Gone Completely)

Last edited:

OWW, Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway or, Old Worse and Worse. Route Id for structures through Droitwich all start OWW.

On Moderation
Without (hopefully) dragging this particular thread too far off-topic, are there any other examples out there of old railway company "bacronyms", such as...

GWR (Great Western Railway) = "Goes when ready";

Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction railway = "Slow, mouldy and jolting" (!)
Can do modern TOCs as well...
SWT - Slow Wobbly Trains
GWR - Goes Wrong Regularly
FGW - Forever Getting Worse
GNER - Garnett’s Non-Electric Railway (when the knitting was down, or when Garnett proposed de-electrification).

507 001

Established Member
Which were the relevant old railway companies?

LNER and Somerset and Dorset :)

There was also the MSJ&A (Manchester South Junction & Altrincham) aka the Many Short Jerks and Away or the Many Short Journeys and Absolute Reliability.

Mat17

An older generation fellow I once knew always referred to an historical company as 'L of a MesS

D6130

Established Member
In 1899 the 'Slow Easy Railway' merged with the 'London Smashem and Turnover Railway' to form the 'Slow Easy and Comfortable Railway'. I'm sure that those of you living in Kent will have heard that before!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was also the MSJ&A (Manchester South Junction & Altrincham) aka the Many Short Jerks and Away or the Many Short Journeys and Absolute Reliability.
That latter one I've heard before but couldn't quite recall.

Can almost imagine the tagline having been used on a publicity poster. ;)

Any other examples out there?

daveo

In the medical arena ASD =
Autism Spectrum Disorder and
Arterial Septal Defect(a heart condition)

Miles Bown

Without (hopefully) dragging this particular thread too far off-topic, are there any other examples out there of old railway company "bacronyms", such as...

GWR (Great Western Railway) = "Goes when ready";

Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction railway = "Slow, mouldy and jolting" (!)
The Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton were known as 'the Old Worse and Worse', partly because their line was so delayed in its opening. WAGN was also nicknamed We Are Going Nowhere!

ashkeba

Established Member
There are, of course, the Self Help Information Terminals installed on most platforms in the form of a round pill shaped thing on a post where you can ask for information and help.
You can ask. Answers are rarer. Useful answers even less so. At least at GA stations I have used.

Recessio

An older generation fellow I once knew always referred to an historical company as 'L of a MesS
Indeed, I seem to remember that on Kenneth William's Desert Island Discs interview, he told a story about his father who once worked as a vanboy on the LMS calling it "LMS, 'el of a mess!" too

PG

Established Member
DORIS LNER’s onboard TIS
I thought Doris was the York station goose...
LNER spokesperson said: “We are thrilled to see the return of the goose to York station.”

Although named Doris by local bus drivers – her male partner is Boris – LNER is requesting suggestions for names for Mother Goose through its social media channels…

Domeyhead

One that still gets my goat is in Bournemouth, where signs to the station are grandiosely style "Transport Interchange" - because the bus station is next door. to the railway station. Bournemouth has a reputation for language colleges so there are lot of non english speakers in the town and it helps if the signs say what is written in their phrase book. I have yet to find a phrase book that includes Transport Interchange as a thing. When I am in Europe it is helpful if stations are called stations, in the local language so I can find them easily. "Transport Interchange" was no doubt dreamt up by hubristic councillors trying to "big" up some small bit of regeneration a while ago, but please - if it's a bus station call it a bus station, and if it's more than one just call them stations and use the symbols!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"Transport Interchange" was no doubt dreamt up by hubristic councillors trying to "big" up some small bit of regeneration a while ago, but please - if it's a bus station call it a bus station, and if it's more than one just call them stations and use the symbols!!

I don't agree. If it's that confusing call it a "bus and rail interchange", but using a name that states that it's designed to make interchange easy so as to promote that interchange sounds a really good idea to me. FWIW, this should be the default, though for some reason some people on here remain fixated with separate modes remaining separate.

On an OS map it will of course be shown with both symbols.

CEN60

I have recently heard NR Employees refer to Scotrail as - "Scotsnail"!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
In my field, we had TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms). So TLA was a TLA. And later XTLAs, which likewise were XTLAs - eXtended Three Letter Acronyms. Couldn't have been FLAs, because FLA is not an FLA.

I'm aware of a company where derogatory reference to a scheme or initiative is indicated by the phrase "the SLA for TLAs is TBC".

D6975

Established Member
Local to me, there used to be a small railway company called The Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway.
or WC&P
Who needs a back acronym for that one?

och aye

Not an official one as such, but a friend of mine was walking past the LNER 1st class lounge entrance beside newly opened Platforms 5 & 6 at Waverley and overheard one of the staff members telling some new recruit that these were their new Flagship platforms :so_O

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Moving away from "alternative acronyms", one neologism that has always bugged me is "station stop" as in "We will shortly be arriving at Dewsbury, our next station stop". Say "next station" or say "next stop": either makes sense, but using both is redundant.

Does this date back to the days of manual doors without locking, to ensure people didn't accidentally fall out while the train stood at a danger signal?

pdeaves

Established Member
Does this date back to the days of manual doors without locking, to ensure people didn't accidentally fall out while the train stood at a danger signal?
I hae no documented proof but suspect the answer is 'no'. I think it dates from when people doing announcements became unnecessarily wordy.

Fyldeboy

Moving away from "alternative acronyms", one neologism that has always bugged me is "station stop" as in "We will shortly be arriving at Dewsbury, our next station stop". Say "next station" or say "next stop": either makes sense, but using both is redundant.

"Next Station" could be somewhere the train doesn't stop at - wave to the platform staff as you fly by!
On the other hand, "Next Stop" could be a signal at danger - serious risk in the days of slam door stock but even now, potential risk of aggravating passengers when the 8:02 is running late and the doors won't open!

Status
Not open for further replies.