• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Bizarre Railway Neologism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

In another thread, someone made reference to the “PTI” (Platform Train Interface).

What other contrived or bizarre jargon abound in the modern rail industry?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PupCuff

I personally find 'transboardment bridges' an entertaining one, it is of course their official name but it's always struck me as an unnecessarily complicated term - though admittedly shorter than 'train-to-train evacuation bridge'.

There's probably a load more we use on an everyday basis that non-railway types would find amusing but they just become standard vocabulary after a while.

RHolmes

Toilet Spatula is one of my favourites

The device used for snapping off the lock cover of jammed toilet doors, allowing access to the internal mechanism that can then be forced open from the exterior, rather than a device for flipping or spreading anything in the ‘bowl’ :lol:

xotGD

Established Member
The departures board has turned in to a PIS (passenger information screen)

And I can't cope with ETH (electric train heat) turning into ETS (electric train supply)

Tio Terry

I think PIS is now CIS (Customer Information System) isn't it?

There's also FATCOWS (Fixed, Automatic, Track Circuit Operated, Warning Systems).

zwk500

Veteran Member
My Favourite is TRUST - Trains Running Under System TOPS (there's a couple of variations on exactly what it stands for). The strange bit being that TOPS is itself an acronym (Total Operations Processing System). So you have acronym-ception

Merle Haggard

Established Member
In B.R. days, it seemed that acronym creation was the opportunity for otherwise unsatisfied creativity by the managers concerned.
For instance, we had the two (indistinguishable, to me at least) depot systems; LOVERS and RAVERS
LOcal VEhicle Record System and RAil VEhicle Record System.

And, as an example of the redundant Acronym Syndrome mentioned above, the step plates (of Cl 321 ???) that had the inscription 'Built by BREL Ltd'

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was a BR reorganisation called "Organising for Quality". The acronym "OFQ" was pronounced in a certain way by some.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

To be fair you get that because a three letter acronym tends to be easier to pronounce than a two-letter one. "PI number" is quite a mouthful ("pee eye number"), whereas "PIN number" flows nicely. Yes, you could just say "PIN" but then you've got confusion with a pointy thing used to hold paper to a notice board. Or you could pronounce it "pie number" but then people think you mean 3.141 etc or your order from Greggs.

ashkeba

Established Member
To be fair you get that because a three letter acronym tends to be easier to pronounce than a two-letter one. "PI number" is quite a mouthful ("pee eye number"), whereas "PIN number" flows nicely. Yes, you could just say "PIN" but then you've got confusion with a pointy thing used to hold paper to a notice board. Or you could pronounce it "pie number" but then people think you mean 3.141 etc or your order from Greggs.
PIN code. That one need not suffer RAS syndrome

On Moderation
In B.R. days, it seemed that acronym creation was the opportunity for otherwise unsatisfied creativity by the managers concerned.
For instance, we had the two (indistinguishable, to me at least) depot systems; LOVERS and RAVERS
LOcal VEhicle Record System and RAil VEhicle Record System.
BR was very good at acronyms. BRUTE - British Rail Universal Trolley Equipment - was another one.

Back under the Midland Mainline franchise, performance collapsed to the extent that the MD was removed and David Franks came in as MD and Tim Shoveller as Ops Director. They came up with a recovery plan called Project SPEED (Service Performance Enhancements to Eliminate Delay), which was very successful.

Galvanize

I think PIS is now CIS (Customer Information System) isn't it?

There's also FATCOWS (Fixed, Automatic, Track Circuit Operated, Warning Systems).
To my understanding...Station Screens or Automated Announcements are referred to as a CIS...customer information system...but screens and Automated Announcements onboard trains are still known as a Passenger Information System or PIS. It’s sometimes referred to as a Passenger Information Display System...with the acronym “PIDS” on certain TOCs.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Train fares under BR could have been half the price if it wasn't for "acronyms" and pencils and paper having their own numbers and codes. Ridiculous looking back at it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are the various acronyms / neologisms used on the railway genuinely useful, or, like in many other trades and industries, just a means of effectively excluding anyone not well versed in the jargon and terminology?

pdeaves

Established Member
the step plates (of Cl 321 ???) that had the inscription 'Built by BREL Ltd'
To be fair, by that stage the company was simply 'BREL' with the letters not standing for anything (officially; I mean we all know/knew where they came from in the first place).

In the general case I am always suspicious where the first word after an acronym starts with the same letter as the end of the acronym.

Taunton

Established Member
Back in olden times when messages were sent by telegram, charged by the word, and also extremely slow to send by morse code, there were an extensive range of code words used for all sorts.

The old GWR named all their internal user engineering wagon types after fish, for some reason (maybe Grierson, longstanding Chief Civil Engineer, was a fisherman), so you had to know your Catfish from your Dogfish - the former was a 20 ton ballast hopper, the latter a larger 25 tonner. Universally used in messages, these names were also painted on the sides of the wagon.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Are the various acronyms / neologisms used on the railway genuinely useful, or, like in many other trades and industries, just a means of effectively excluding anyone not well versed in the jargon and terminology?
They are useful, but as with many things on the railways there's either too many ways of referring to the same thing or too many things referred to by the same acronym, so they're not as useful as they should be.

TheEdge

Established Member

I feel like people are deliberately hating on acronyms despite being useful.

PIS/CIS - massively shortens the names, differentiates between two different systems.
CCF - "Control Centre of the Future", or just CCF, the train locator.

PTI, the one that opened this thread? What else would you call it?

No one feel like complaining about GWR, GEML, WCML, AWS and TPWS? Those are all acronyms hiding their full title from those that know?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Best part of 200 different 'CCF' acronyms in use (albeit not all on the railway, of course, although many could be).

For example...

Call Control Function;

Common Connector Framework;

Combined Computer Facility;

Central Co-ordinating Facility;

Correct Classification Factor;

Claim Coverage Form;

as well as...

Colombian Coffee Federation. ;)

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
This is absolutely nothing new.

From the very dawn of the railways the 'track' was given the cumbersome name of 'permanent way', which spawned a lot of ambiguous abbreviations such as PWS (Permanent Way Slack [= Temporary Speed Restriction] and Permanent Way Supervisor).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My personal favourite is BRUTE

In another thread, someone made reference to the “PTI” (Platform Train Interface).

What other contrived or bizarre jargon abound in the modern rail industry?
Doesn't at least one TOC now refer to the DSD/DVD as the DWD?

Western 52

In the 1980s Royal Mail bought BRUTEs from BR for use in some parcel offices. I remember a sign on a door saying "BRUTES must not pass this point ". Hard to explain to new staff!. Incidentally, the Post Office had hundreds of its own acronyms so the railways were not alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.