• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most circuitous bus route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've come across some buses with unusual routes before, but was surprised just how many roads are served in Ilkley and Ben Rhydding by this school bus! It has just one journey each day and presumably covers multiple schools.

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 09.49.00.png

Are there any more circuitous routes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Not quite as circuitious as that, but the 10/11 between Jarrow and South Shields follows a horseshoe like path and diverts into various estates. It takes 70 minutes, compared with the direct bus which takes less than half that (or the Metro which is an hour quicker).

Ostrich

There used to be a NXWM route - part of which now sort of exists as the 19 - which used to start in the Birmingham City Centre, travel the back way out to Five Ways, then continue down suburban roads past the University Halls of Residence, then up to the QE Hospital, down Metchley Lane to the Green Man, through Harborne Village, down War Lane, toured the Welsh House Farm Estate (if it could get through), then a passage of various minor roads in Quinton's Worlds End Estate (often on the pavement to get round the corners!) and finished either somewhere around Four Dwelllings School or possibly went on to Halesowen. From memory it was operated by single-deckers from Liverpool Street? I'm sure more local posters will know of it. Excellent tour of western Birmingham if you had a good hour to spare .... :D

Statto

Established Member
Wirral has a couple

413 Woodside-Seacombe
414 Woodside-New Brighton
418 Birkenhead-New Ferry
423 Seacombe-Liverpool

Woodside to Seacombe, Liscard & New Brighton is quicker on the 409/410/411 which take anything from 15 to 35 minutes, 413/414 takes 60 to 70 minutes,
it's often quicker getting the 423 to Liscard & changing to the 432/433 than staying on via Moreton, 423 takes about 80 minutes, 423 is the evening & Sunday route to the 413, main purpose of the 413/414/423 is to link Leasowe, Moreton, Upton with Arrowe Park Hospital, Liscard, Birkenhead, Liverpool New Brighton & Seacombe

Birkenhead-New Ferry takes 10 minutes on the direct route 1, or 15 minutes on the 41/42, 418 takes 60 minutes, main purpose of the 418 is to connect Arrowe Park Hospital with Prenton-Beechwood & Beechwood with Birkenhead

Alex 2901

There used to be a NXWM route - part of which now sort of exists as the 19 - which used to start in the Birmingham City Centre, travel the back way out to Five Ways, then continue down suburban roads past the University Halls of Residence, then up to the QE Hospital, down Metchley Lane to the Green Man, through Harborne Village, down War Lane, toured the Welsh House Farm Estate (if it could get through), then a passage of various minor roads in Quinton's Worlds End Estate (often on the pavement to get round the corners!) and finished either somewhere around Four Dwelllings School or possibly went on to Halesowen. From memory it was operated by single-deckers from Liverpool Street? I'm sure more local posters will know of it. Excellent tour of western Birmingham if you had a good hour to spare .... :D

The old 99, Birmingham - QE Hospital - Harborne - Quinton - Halesowen. Went in 2017, with the branded Enviro200s for it scattering across depots. Replaced by extending the 244 (Dudley - Halesowen & Hayley Green) to the QE Hospital, and revising the X64 to operate through Vale Village, rather than along Bristol Road.

The current 48 is a pretty good contender now, West Bromwich - Bearwood - Harborne - QE Hospital - Bournville - Cotteridge - Hawkesley - West Heath - Northfield - Weoley Castle.

Passes only 2 and a half miles from Weoley Castle at the QE Hospital, then continues south for nearly an hour...

Alex 2901

That's a very good call.

Also nominate the 60 in Coventry.... 75 mins grinding through the 'burbs!

Used to love doing the 60 end to end when deCourcey put one of their deckers on there. Shame it's Stagecoach E200s now.

Another contender, NXWM 25 -
Wolverhampton - Goldthorn Park - Bilston - Willenhall - Wednesfield - Wood End - The Scotlands - Bushbury Hill - Wobaston - i54 - Pendeford or Pendeford Business Park.

Wolverhampton to Pendeford is about 4 miles, and takes about 20 minutes direct on the 4 (30 minutes on the less direct 6.), vs nearly 90 minutes on the 25, which is about a 15 mile trip end to end. Even historically, this route was a bit of a circuitous route (until 2007, the 525 was Wolverhampton - Stafford Road - Bushbury Hill - The Scotlands - Wood End - Wednesfield - Willenhall - Bilston - Roseville - Wrens Nest - Dudley, before being cut back to Bilston.)

aliceh

More have a couple!

On the direct service, Bournemouth to Poole takes about 35 - 40 minutes. The 32 takes 1 hour 40, going via Corfe Mullen, Merley, Kinson and Winton, and the X6 takes 2 hours, going via Bear Cross, Verwood and Ringwood.

You can see from the map just how much of a diversion it is...
2020-12-11.png

*Mod note* Please ensure you include a caption to describe your image please.

Last edited by a moderator:

tbtc

Veteran Member
In this neck of the woods, the First 18 takes around two hours to get from central Sheffield to Hillsborough (around two miles away) - https://bustimes.org/services/18-sheffield-meadowhall#map - Sheffield has had various versions of an "outer circle" but generally without a western side to the circle, meaning the service ended up becoming more like a spiral (same with the old 2/59) due to the city's geography.

We've also had services from Sheffield to Rotherham via High Green (e.g. the current 135 takes around ninety minutes, when the crow could fly it in around six miles), Dinnington (First's old X5/X23) and Killamarsh (First's old X26/X56).

There was also the 201 from Sheffield to Meadowhall via Stocksbridge (First/ Stagecoach tendered service).

(I'm ignoring services that are effectively circulars but don't quite complete the entire loop, e.g. where the two city centre termini are only a street apart)

andy1571

I recall travelling on the H13 in London, which starts at Ruislip Lido, wiggles around Ruislip, Pinner and Northwood Hills before terminating at the other side of the park from which it started.

PG

Established Member
First Aberdeen's 23 (Heathryfold - Sheddocksley) passes within about a mile of itself, and yes some folk would stay on rather than walking though the former service 13 pretty much filled in the gap.
https://bustimes.org/services/23-heathryfold-sheddocksley-circular#map

The old 22 was even better (Heathryfold - Mastrick), looked similar to the 23 map I've linked above but with even less distance between the two termini!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not sure if anyone noticed the bus in my OP goes from Ben Rhydding to Ilkley to Ben Rhydding to Ilkley to Ben Rhydding to Ilkley to Addingham.

There's been plenty of indirect routes mentioned on this thread but not many that keep doubling back on themselves.

The Damory operated Lyme Regis town service (Route 71) is pretty circuits!

That's quite mad.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
More have a couple!

On the direct service, Bournemouth to Poole takes about 35 - 40 minutes. The 32 takes 1 hour 40, going via Corfe Mullen, Merley, Kinson and Winton, and the X6 takes 2 hours, going via Bear Cross, Verwood and Ringwood.

You can see from the map just how much of a diversion it is...
View attachment 86983

*Mod note* Please ensure you include a caption to describe your image please.
That's a long standing hangover from when Hants & Dorset's Bournemouth depot closed and it had to be run from Poole.

kez19

Established Member

(image below shows Xplore Dundee Network map)

2019-network-map.png

Take your pick from Xplore.... from 24 January 2021 its all change for most routes that will either merge or use routes used by one service or another...

As I digress, for me one route is the 9/10 takes I believe 2 hours all round.

Last edited by a moderator:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not quite as bad as some of those above, but the current iteration of the Yorkshire Tiger 262 (Huddersfield to Brighouse via Hopton and Mirfield) is pretty circuitous. Originally the 262 ran to Dewsbury bus station after Mirfield, but a few years ago was altered to fill gaps left by the axing of service 278 between Dewsbury and Halifax. The timetable allows 57min from end to end which pre-COVID would be rather optimistic as the service has to navigate Cooper Bridge roundabout. By comparison, the direct X63 (First, to Bradford) will get from Huddersfield to Brighouse in 18mins, albeit not to the bus station.

route101

Established Member
First Glasgow Braehead to Partick, big circle around Glasgow, used to be a full circle with the route going through the Clyde Tunnel.

(image below shows Xplore Dundee Network map)

2019-network-map.png

Take your pick from Xplore.... from 24 January 2021 its all change for most routes that will either merge or use routes used by one service or another...

As I digress, for me one route is the 9/10 takes I believe 2 hours all round.

Interesting, never really done the Dundee routes, did fancy some of the circle ones, will look at whats changing

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
<Damory 71>

That's quite mad.

I assume that is the sort of tendered route (are town routes ever commercial?) that came about due to a tender that stated "the route must serve all points in this list at least N times a day", and that was the cheapest way they could do it? Doesn't exactly encourage usage, but Lyme Regis is tiny, so the service will be pretty much only used by passholders with limited mobility who will tend to tolerate that sort of service provided they know what it is from their local stop and the town centre.

kez19

Established Member
First Glasgow Braehead to Partick, big circle around Glasgow, used to be a full circle with the route going through the Clyde Tunnel.

Interesting, never really done the Dundee routes, did fancy some of the circle ones, will look at whats changing

I remember when Xplore had ran the smaller ones the 7 and 8s (never used them), then on the other it was 11 and 12s - can’t remember if 11/12s varied or followed same route as 9/10s

Ken H

On Moderation
I've come across some buses with unusual routes before, but was surprised just how many roads are served in Ilkley and Ben Rhydding by this school bus! It has just one journey each day and presumably covers multiple schools.

View attachment 86962

Are there any more circuitous routes?
the 962 is pretty round the houses. seems to be several requirements stuck together - https://bustimes.org/services/962-otley-ilkley-circular#map

Status
Not open for further replies.