• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most depressing and loneliest box on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
Sellafield signalbox must be the most depressing and loneliest box on the network. Even though it's on the Cumbrian Coast line, itself a very unique and beautifully sculptured railway, the box is in the middle of nowhere, with the vast sea on one side, a massive nuclear reprocessing facility on the other, and not much activity going on on the lines for most of the day. The box looks really small as well, so when the weather is bad (with the wind a rain battering it from the sea) and it's pitch black outside, i would nominate this box to be the worst to work in anywhere!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Plenty of freight through though... and the sea isn't that baron.

I would say the most boring signal boxes to man are the PSBs: from your workbench you can see very little of the actual railway, just a massive diagramatic screen, at least with Sellafield and the old traditional boxes you still have levers and can actually see daylight!

strange6

Established Member
Plenty of freight through though... and the sea isn't that baron.

I would say the most boring signal boxes to man are the PSBs: from your workbench you can see very little of the actual railway, just a massive diagramatic screen, at least with Sellafield and the old traditional boxes you still have levers and can actually see daylight!

That's true. It's at one end of single line working as well so he does get company from the driver for a few seconds every 2 hours! But the whole area is so depressing! If you ever get the chance to go and ride that line, do so! I bet you if you stop at the station, he'll offer you a cup of tea if you go and ask him!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Claydon L&NE Junction must be pretty dull. Only 7 trains per day running past, although it does require the signaller there along with Marylebone IECC to release the token for trains to go up through Quainton Road. I don't know if the guy there controls the Bicester Town branch though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If you ever get the chance to go and ride that line, do so!

Been there, done that. At least it has trains, even if only a minimum of 1tp2h. Think of those on the Far North line (no, it's not scenic), or those stuck on little used freight branches, especially around coalyards in the East Mids, or, as Mojo says, along vast, empty freight branches.

Zoe

Established Member
Roskear Junction. It's a large box but these days its only purpose is to break up the long block section from Truro to St Erth. You have only a single signal on the up line and three on the downline and two level crossings. The box is also in quite a deprived area.

strange6

Established Member
Been there, done that. At least it has trains, even if only a minimum of 1tp2h. Think of those on the Far North line (no, it's not scenic), or those stuck on little used freight branches, especially around coalyards in the East Mids, or, as Mojo says, along vast, empty freight branches.
One mans poison is another mans meat I suppose. :)

The Planner

Veteran Member
Claydon L&NE Junction must be pretty dull. Only 7 trains per day running past, although it does require the signaller there along with Marylebone IECC to release the token for trains to go up through Quainton Road. I don't know if the guy there controls the Bicester Town branch though.

Is it as many as 7 ?? I thought it was a lot less now. He will control the section to London Road level crossing, but nothing more.

dk1

Veteran Member
Blea Moor must be pretty grim too - or has that been closed now?

When i was a signalman i had always wanted to do a shift there & deep down still do. Maybe on a really stormy or snowy day so i got stranded. Mind you that happened to me in a Norfolk box for 22 hours :o

Rugd1022

The old Savernake Box on the Berks & Hants line was reputed to be a horrible place to spend a whole shift on your own... no running water and full of flies in the Summer months so I've read. Lovely.

StoneRoad

I'ld like to nominate Dovey Junction......

it is well away from anything else, but the scenery is not too bad (assuming you can see it!)

cymro inside

i cant remember the name of the box but its the one between stranraer and girvan in the middle of nowhere!

steamybrian

Established Member
I'ld like to nominate Dovey Junction......

it is well away from anything else, but the scenery is not too bad (assuming you can see it!)
... It closed many years ago when RETB was introduced.

I nominate "Bank" on the Waterloo & City Line. I visited it many years ago but I am unsure if it is still in operation.
It was situated in an office accessed off one of the underground platforms and controlled the second platform during peak hours. During off peak only one platform was used operated on automatic working.
It had no daylight only dim lighting..
It was a small confined office with no windows.
It contained a small panel with only sufficent switches to control a diamond crossover and protecting signals for it..

LE Greys

Established Member
You want a really bizarre one. At one point, traffic through the Severn Tunnel was so heavy that they suggested putting a box in the middle of it. Maybe not lonely, but certainly the worst scenery of any box anywhere. God help them lighting the signal lamps.

Drimnagh Road

Is the Far North Line mechanical? Thought it was all that RETB rubbish.

Ty Croes is surrounded by fields and is just a box crossing. Looks desolate.

LE Greys

Established Member
Are you sure that idea got anywhere?
The practicalities and logistics just don't bear thinking about, never mind the working conditions and access.

Not sure about the details, but I think it was around 1909, before the First World War. South Wales coal traffic was booming, and the GWR had a big Admiralty contract to move coal to Portsmouth and Plymouth as well as the flow to Acton yard. Severn Tunnel Junction to Pilning is a very long block section, especially for an Abadare with 80-odd wagons and a big gradient to cope with. I don't think the idea got very far, but I heard it from a reputable source, just can't remember what it is.

eos

Alrewas signal box , often not seeing a single train in a given shift , yet the main line Derby- Birmingham. with movements every few minutes. is visible from the window.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Shippea Hill box is pretty depressing. Situated miles form the nearest town, surrounded by 3 caravans, 2 houses and a closed down christmas shop, in the middle of desolate rural fenland. The poor guy in the box has only 1 train per day stop at his station (but no return train) and has to operate crossing gates.

SteamontheMet

In the London Area, I would say:

Greenford - there is a train every half-hour which passes behind the box, but its usually the same FGW 165 DMU over and over. In front of the Box there is only 2/3 trains in a day being the daily London Paddington - High Wycombe/Princes Risbrough service and the daily Dagenham - Calvet Binliner.

http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Greenford/index.htm

Acton Wells Junction/Neasden High Level/Dudding Hill Junction - I've Rarely seen a train on that line (Acton - Cricklewood Freight Line)

Kew East Jnc Box

Status
Not open for further replies.