• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Depressing Stretch of Line on the Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffield

Established Member
Wrexham general to Wrexham Central bit
Another one Coventry to nuneaton .
Newcastle to Sunderland.
Stourbridge town to stourbridge junction on Perry mover .
Chingford also to London liverpool st.
Stratford to Richmond
Watford jct to London euston DC. Lines.
Some more of mine

Given it's timed for three minutes, I'm not really sure how you could have time to get depressed between Stourbridge Town and Stourbridge Junction. :E

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave W

Given it's timed for three minutes, I'm not really sure how you could have time to get depressed between Stourbridge Town and Stourbridge Junction. :E

Now, hold on a minute! I will happily chuck the vile likes of Lye and Cradley Heath under a bus, but the joy of the Stour Town Branch is a (pretty steep) hill I will die on! Especially now you’ve got an all around view! Like being in the observation car of the California Zephyr!

... ish o_O

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The Cathcart circle lines for sure.

Glasgow Central - Glasgow Central via Cathcart is literally cut and cover throughout. Kings Park - Newton is running through little suburbs. It is very depressing. Same with the Maryhill line

duffield

Established Member
Now, hold on a minute! I will happily chuck the vile likes of Lye and Cradley Heath under a bus, but the joy of the Stour Town Branch is a (pretty steep) hill I will die on! Especially now you’ve got an all around view! Like being in the observation car of the California Zephyr!

... ish o_O

Well, I suppose I must admit I was more focused on the novelty of the PPM than the surroundings, maybe I should give it another go and report back.:E

pmb

I haven't travelled on a huge amount of the UK network, but out of where I've gone I think the ECML between Finsbury Park and King's Cross is at the top of my list. It's the bush forest and the grafitti which do it for me. Like where you see bushes growing out of the lineside masonry and in between the running lines - no evidence of pride in the railway!
Also Peterborough station isn't likely to give a very good impression to travellers - a very bleak station IMO, albeit nicely greened up by the forests of bushes all around.

matchmaker

Established Member

Glasgow Central - Glasgow Central via Cathcart is literally cut and cover throughout. Kings Park - Newton is running through little suburbs. It is very depressing. Same with the Maryhill line

You do know that the Cathcart Circle isn't cut & cover?

387star

On Moderation
I've always wondered what it is like for a train driver to take a train from the grime of London, and end their journey at somewhere light and scenic such as Penzance. The difference must be so stark.
Swansea drivers do Padd to Swansea

A good example are the Victoria to South Coast services via Horsham. As far as Crawley the route is incredibly dull save for the dramatic Battersea Bridge. However leaving Crawley you finally see some proper countryside with a lot less housing than before although the slither to Horsham is very fleeting. South of Horsham things really pick up and on a summers evening the Arun Valley line is breathtaking south of pulborough with views of Amberley and Arundel castles and the fishing boats on the river Arun as you cross Ford junction

387star

On Moderation
The west coastway line is pretty depressing with never ending urban sprawl around the large town of Worthing and the many suburbs of Brighton and Hove. You have to search for the countryside. Between East Worthing and Lancing there is some beautiful downland scenery if you know where to look beyond the houses and there is the dramatic viaduct over the Adur with Lancing College in the background. The line at Southwick is near the sea but the view is an ugly industrial one

Statto

Established Member
6 pages in and nobody has mentioned;

Moorfields (Well, just north of it) to Waterloo, on the Merseyrail network. Also, Sandhills to Aintree. Birkenhead North to Birkenhead Park.

Over the Pennines, Huddersfield to Batley.

Definitely agree with the Leeds to Bradford Interchange line.

I quite like the Moorfields-Sandhills stretch, contrast of coming out of tunnels to overhead line section, with views across the River Mersey, agree with Sandhills to Aintree, also Sandhills to Kirkby is pretty bleak too.

I find Birkenhead North to the M53 on both branches pretty bleak too, only interest is Birkenhead North TMD.

Goofle

Chester Station on a Sunday night in winter, waiting for the late train to Wrexham, in the 90's. Never before or since can I remember a colder more windy barren place (I include the North Pole in this, and not the railway depot!!!) although Shotton was a close second- but there was a pub a few yards away....

(Not sure if this is quite in the spirit of the thread, that being a 'stretch of line', if not I'm sure it'll get pointed out to me!)

anti-pacer

Established Member
I quite like the Moorfields-Sandhills stretch, contrast of coming out of tunnels to overhead line section, with views across the River Mersey, agree with Sandhills to Aintree, also Sandhills to Kirkby is pretty bleak too.

I find Birkenhead North to the M53 on both branches pretty bleak too, only interest is Birkenhead North TMD.

Actually the Moorfields to Sandhills section is OK. I like the sea view from there.

Statto

Established Member
The common denominator seems to be stretches of lines going through urban areas especially inner city areas, & those lines that are just below ground[not underground] but raised embankments that you can't see anything other than the embankment that's bleak.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Chester Station on a Sunday night in winter, waiting for the late train to Wrexham, in the 90's. Never before or since can I remember a colder more windy barren place (I include the North Pole in this, and not the railway depot!!!) although Shotton was a close second- but there was a pub a few yards away....

(Not sure if this is quite in the spirit of the thread, that being a 'stretch of line', if not I'm sure it'll get pointed out to me!)
Maryport any day is the most windy barren place off all when waiting for the 37 when they did cumbrian coast no shelter despite the shelter. Scenery okay but when it got windy it was hell

2L70

On Moderation
Loughborough to Leicester “county lines”

2 and a half sets of cheap wooden platforms next to the MML

Syston is a bit of a suicide hotspot unfortunately.
Sileby is good for enthusiasts - the Village Centre’s star attraction seems to be a charity shop
Barrow Upon Soar is very dark and dingy most of the time

warwickshire

On Moderation
I'd say Trafford Park to Warrington Central, plain and boring
Apart from irlam viaduct for a minute or so off where you can see all around ie Manchester and parts off Cheshire. all around the pennine hills and also see rochdale and standedge and copy Pitt summit in the distance. Also includes the Peak district and even congleton and macclesfield as well. But apart from the irlam viaduct view it most certainly is.

wolfman

Hoo J

Hoo Jct ?

Paceman

The chord out of Bradford Interchange towards Leeds used to be horrendous, and it is also very slow so you really get a detailed look at all of the detritus. It's a while since I've travelled it now though.

Was just going to say this. Scrapyards, dereliction and endless fly tipping and litter.

SoccerHQ

Not dissimilar to the other side of Snow Hill, pretty much as far as Stourbridge, although the run down Old Hill bank offers a slightly less grim view.

Of course once you’re out past Stourbridge it’s pretty nice! Kiddy aside...

Interesting comparing the routes into Birmingham from the different lines. Coming in on the cross city line from Erdington onwards is pretty grim (obviously the mere sight of Spaghetti Junction will split opinion) although more interesting given it now runs parallel to Curzon Street slowly being built up.

Coming up from Bournville is quite nice with good views of the QE hosptial from the Selly Oak viaduct before hitting the tunnel at Five ways.

I do like aswell coming in on the Moor Street line at night, fantastic view of Brum as you approach with it all lit up. Manchester is similar coming in from the North west.

route101

Established Member

Only the bit between Pollokshields East and Mount Florida though

Status
Not open for further replies.