• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most 'endangered' units/locos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello all,

What is/are, in your opinions, the rolling stock with the least amount of time left? I'm weighing up the next day out and am wondering what's the best thing to focus on in terms of having less time to photograph it, e.g. 142s or EC HSTs.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scarby

If I had a free week on the railways then I would aim at:

1. Class 121 as mentioned upthread.

2. Anything "heritage" loco-hauled: the Norwich-Yarmouth class 47 jobs; I believe some other loco-hauled job around Edinburgh (all detailed on this forum) and I think one other route?

Those could go at any point.

142s and HSTs are maybe endangered species but they have years in them yet.

IMHO!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Maybe not the loco hauled 67 commuter specials around Edinburgh, they are well used and will probably only be replaced if Scotrail frees up some more DMUs.

MK Tom

Established Member
Some HSTs will be in service well into the 2030s I've been told many times.

Class 507/508s probably don't have long left.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Some HSTs will be in service well into the 2030s I've been told many times.

Class 507/508s probably don't have long left.

Same with the 313s/314s, but with no replacement stock on the horizon as of yet (although the 314s will probably go when the new Scotrail EMUs come)

442s ;)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Same with the 313s/314s, but with no replacement stock on the horizon as of yet (although the 314s will probably go when the new Scotrail EMUs come)

The GTR franchise has committed to replacing the 313s on the GN, though I don't think the procurement has started yet. So not imminent but I would say it's on the horizon. No plans for the 313s on the Coastway though. The 507/508s are likely to be around longer, as although Merseytravel were looking at replacement a couple of years ago it has gone very quiet since then.

315s will be replaced within the next 4-5 years either by new Overground stock or by Crossrail, though it's possible they will be re-used with Cardiff Valleys probably the most likely destination.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
This is probably the most likely. The 31s are already on borrowed time, and some aren't exacly in the best of health.

Which part of them is on borrowed time? The traction package, the electrical system, the structure or the mechanical parts (brakes, etc)?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This thread has made me realise just how much the railway scene is changing in the coming months! No more 67s and 90s on the Cally Insomny soon, maybe I will be using it one more time in February!

Of course the 68s have begun with Chiltern now, although only on the 1750 Marylebone to Banbury I believe. Others will have more details I'm sure, so 67s on Chiltern are nearly gone now. I'm going to make sure I pop over there on the 5th of January to get my last chance of 67 haulage on the Chilterns in!

Upon reading the opening post in this thread, many changes are coming, and the below list is just what comes to mind:

- Great Northern 313s, I'm informed off-forum they're going in mid-2016 if not before.

- ScotRail 314s, I can't remember when these are going but by the end of 2016 if not before I believe I was told. And no, I've not got any confirmed sources.

- HSTs on the Western, at least on things like Hereford/Cheltenham/Swansea/Bristol services. I believe it's early 2017 we're seeing the changes properly start, but I can't remember exactly when or if that's changed.

- 377/1s are due to leave the Southern and escape east to Southeastern I believe, but not yet.

- 317s and 321s on Great Northern. 377/5s will be coming up there soon enough I'm told, again though I have no dates for that.

- Don't forget we could/are losing the 'WAG-Ex' in early 2015. Others will know more than me there though.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Won't all Intercity 225 (91s) be taken out of service when the IEP trains replace them? I don't think any heritage line could take them either.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The Wessex EMUs are due to go in the next year or so? Will be sad to see them go as they were really the first even remotely modern looking, aircon trains I saw on the SR.

83G/84D

Established Member
What about the remaining Class 08's & 09's? Still just about hanging in there at the moment but for how much longer?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Won't all Intercity 225 (91s) be taken out of service when the IEP trains replace them? I don't think any heritage line could take them either.

They're likely to be cascaded onto other lines.
The Mk.4 sets might go to the GEML, but the 91s probably won't. At least one is reserved for the NRM though, I think.

The 142s won't go until they absolutely have to (31/12/2019) but the 153s will most likely have been re-merged into 155s by then.

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
The Mk.4 sets might go to the GEML, but the 91s probably won't. At least one is reserved for the NRM though, I think.

The 142s won't go until they absolutely have to (31/12/2019) but the 153s will most likely have been re-merged into 155s by then.
why won't the 91's stay with the mk4 carraiges? there's nothing wrong with them.

Skimble19

Established Member
- Great Northern 313s, I'm informed off-forum they're going in mid-2016 if not before.
Who on earth informed you of that? :lol: The units haven't even been ordered yet...

- 317s and 321s on Great Northern. 377/5s will be coming up there soon enough I'm told, again though I have no dates for that.
Should be 2017.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
What about the remaining Class 08's & 09's? Still just about hanging in there at the moment but for how much longer?

DBS are now using "super shunters" but other FOC's / TOC's still use class 08's. EMT class 08's always seem to be in good nick and see plenty of use. The same can be said for FGW.

Status
Not open for further replies.