• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most evocative station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Open - or closed - which do you think are the most evocative andrail station names?

I'll start us off with Egloskerry. Just along the line is Otterham. And what about Chetnole, Cattistock Halt and Craigellachie?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
Glenrothes with Thornton. Simply because it has with in the name.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wednesbury Town, where I saw my first train.

I sometimes get the stations in Wednesbury confused, Town was on the South Staffs wasn't it, while Wednesbury central was on the GWR mainline? Anyway, what was it you saw there?

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Glenrothes with Thornton. Simply because it has with in the name.

I sometimes get the stations in Wednesbury confused, Town was on the South Staffs wasn't it, while Wednesbury central was on the GWR mainline? Anyway, what was it you saw there?

Yes Wednesbury Central was just above Town and slightly to one side.
The old Central spot is now the Midland Metro station and depot.
I was about 4 when I saw my first train and I haven't a clue what it was but I do know my mother was taking me to Walsall on the train rather than the bus for a treat.

When I later went to Wednesbury Boys High School it was directly against the South Staffs line and that was where my real interest started as they also had a Railway society.We had the good luck of having a couple of teachers who were train mad and we used to have weekend trips all over the country to sheds and works like Derby, Doncaster, Swindon, Eastleigh,Crewe etc.
We would be on a coach on a Saturday morning about 4 or 5 am and sometimes wouldn't get back home till about 9 oclock on a Sunday with literally hundreds of numbers. We'd sleep on the coach which was exciting when you're 11 or 12.

Harbornite

Established Member
Yes Wednesbury Central was just above Town and slightly to one side.
The old Central spot is now the Midland Metro station and depot.
I was about 4 when I saw my first train and I haven't a clue what it was but I do know my mother was taking me to Walsall on the train rather than the bus for a treat.

When I later went to Wednesbury Boys High School it was directly against the South Staffs line and that was where my real interest started as they also had a Railway society.We had the good luck of having a couple of teachers who were train mad and we used to have weekend trips all over the country to sheds and works like Derby, Doncaster, Swindon, Eastleigh,Crewe etc.
We would be on a coach on a Saturday morning about 4 or 5 am and sometimes wouldn't get back home till about 9 oclock on a Sunday with literally hundreds of numbers. We'd sleep on the coach which was exciting when you're 11 or 12.

Have you seen what the South Staffs looks like now? The signals and most of the track are still there but very overgrown. There's plans for a light rail centre to be built down the road at Dudley station's site, and the midland metro will be extended that way as well.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Have you seen what the South Staffs looks like now? The signals and most of the track are still there but very overgrown. There's plans for a light rail centre to be built down the road at Dudley station's site, and the midland metro will be extended that way as well.

Yes I have seen it and yes I know about the Metro's proposed expansion. Would be much better if they extended from Walsall to Dudley and the Bescot curve reinstated as that was my old train spotting area, railway not tram.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Yes I have seen it and yes I know about the Metro's proposed expansion. Would be much better if they extended from Walsall to Dudley and the Bescot curve reinstated as that was my old train spotting area.

Yes it would be good if they reopened it for heavy rail, but its usage would be limited for freight, although there might be potential for decent passenger numbers,

Johnuk123

Established Member
Yes it would be good if they reopened it for heavy rail, but its usage would be limited for freight, although there might be potential for decent passenger numbers,

Yes I know it's not very likley but would be nice as any new railway is always good.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Of current stations, there are a few stations where the names write cheques that the places can't cash. For example Berry Brow, Daisy Hill, Flowery Field, Mount Florida, Penistone...

Moving away from irony Brockholes is quite evocative, as is the (relatively) nearby halt on the Kirklees Light Railway: Cuckoo's Nest.

Wylam - Birthplace of George Stephenson

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Bassenthwaite Lake, Embleton and Rowrah are also good ones. So are Ravenstonedale, Low Gill, Smardale, Gaisgill and Wreay.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
A favourite of mine is Corpusty & Saxthorpe. Says it all, I feel about the delectable Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway and its doings in Norfolk.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A favourite of mine is Corpusty & Saxthorpe. Says it all, I feel about the delectable Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway and its doings in Norfolk.

Which also had the superb "Clenchwarton" ....like something out of the East Anglian Archers.
Though as a translation form Welsh - Llwynypia - takes some beating.

"The Grove of the Magpie"

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm going to throw in one of my German favourites along the lines of the "cheques the place can't cash" - "Muemmelmannsberg" in Hamburg, which sounds quite rural, but just about translates as "Bunny Hill", which for some reason seems quite a fitting sounding name for a grim 1970s concrete tower block estate, which is what it is.
Wednesbury Town, where I saw my first train.

I'm not sure I can even think of the name Wednesbury without thinking of it in a very strong West Midlands accent. :)

Johnuk123

Established Member
I'm not sure I can even think of the name Wednesbury without thinking of it in a very strong West Midlands accent. :)

I moved away many many years ago but still talk the same, unfortunately a lot of people don't know the Black Country is not Birmingham but a different place.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Anything in Cornwall with a Saint in the name is very evocative to me.

St Ives, St Erth, St Austell, St Angreavsie etc. (Actually, I made the last one up :lol:)

Calthrop

Established Member

Which also had the superb "Clenchwarton" ....like something out of the East Anglian Archers.

I always think about the M&GN: "you couldn't make it up" -- but that meant in a good way; not in spite and scorn, as with the snarky commentator bloke who has popularised the phrase.

Or there's Elend and Sorge on the Harz system - meaning Misery and Worry.

Or on the metre-gauge Brohltal Eisenbahn not far from Bonn -- lately mentioned in the "International" sub-forum here -- with its nowadays terminal station Engeln: in former days, the line ran on a bit further to Weibern, and its ultimate terminus Kempenich. With the assistance perhaps, of a bit of pidgin-German: Engeln and Weibern can be taken to mean respectively, Angels and Women. Funny people, these Krauts...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Lelant Saltings (for it's quaint-ness)

Bristol Temple Meads (always sounds dramatic)

Glasgow Central (hearing that whilst waiting at Preston was a sign I was heading on a long journey when I was little)

Status
Not open for further replies.