• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most exhilarating station approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedbrit

As an antidote to the rather gloomy thread 'Most Depressing Stretch of Line on the Network', which major station on the network has the best approach, either scenically or in terms of railway interest ?

My choices: Edinburgh Waverley for scenic approach; York (approaching from the north) for both criteria.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
Newcastle, from the King Edward Bridge, surely has to be a contender.

Saperstein

Crewe definitely. Lots of units parked up from the south.

Are the old locos still there towards Chester?

I’ve only passed recently during hours of darkness.

Saperstein

FQTV

Durham, Newcastle, Alnmouth and Berwick, all from the South.

Honourable mention to Whitby and Mallaig in good weather, too.

sheff1

Established Member
As others, my vote for scenic approach would go to Newcastle (from the south). Durham is good (again from the south) although may not be considered a "major" station*.

Blackfriars would take some beating for view whilst standing in the platform at a major station.

* Edit, if Alnmouth, Whitby & Mallaig are major stations, Durham certainly is !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not sure if it counts as a major station, but the approach into Penzance is rather nice.

SlimJim1694

From a drivers point of view you can't beat the run into London Bridge from New Cross at dawn on a sunny summers day.

The Prisoner

Sorry - mine was the depressing thread.

Anyway - I'll go with Dawlish (is that major?) and I've always liked the approach into Lancaster from the north over the Lune.

My office overlooks the line into Chester from the west over the Racecourse viaduct which is very nice.

stut

Established Member
Dundee's got quite an approach, too. Just ask William Topaz McGonagall. (North Queensferry also, if you count that as major...)

tbtc

Veteran Member
I'm a fan of the stations where you approach on a viaduct and get a great panorama of the city, looking down on a metropolis teeming with life - so through the Castlefield Corridor into Manchester, coming into Leeds from the east.

You can get a good perspective of Glasgow as you approach over the Clyde into Central (high level, obviously), same with coming into Dundee from Fife, the view over the Tay etc (damn, @stut has beaten me to the punch!)

Berwick-on-Tweed form the south.

We have a winner!

stut

Established Member
I'm a fan of the stations where you approach on a viaduct and get a great panorama of the city, looking down on a metropolis teeming with life - so through the Castlefield Corridor into Manchester, coming into Leeds from the east.

Oh, definitely. So count the line from London Bridge to Charing Cross in this one!

theironroad

Established Member
Approach into Waterloo after Vauxhall had a brief good bit,with a good view of the Thames and Houses of Parliament.

However, in recent years the rapid development of the nine elms area with high rises is pretty much destroying any view.

Sean Emmett

For scenery Kyle of Lochalsh. Although the Stevenson (not Stephenson!) maxim that to travel in hope is better than to arrive is perhaps rather apt!

Kingswear pretty good too.

For urban views the run into Bath from the East looks good on a sunny day.

Overseas the descent to Narvik or across the causeway to Venice stand out.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Exhilarating - Rugby at 125mph (non-stopping, obviously).

For those of us who remember it being a lively ride at 75mph, tearing through at 125 is something else.

The_Train

Established Member
Not sure I'll get too much support on this one but there's something I love about the approach into Great Yarmouth

The_Train

Established Member
Now spoiled by the removal of the semaphores. :(:(:(

Oh, I didn't realise this had happened. Been a while since my last visit but to be fair it is a very green approach and who doesn't like a nice field that leads to the seaside? :)

duffield

Established Member
Oh, I didn't realise this had happened. Been a while since my last visit but to be fair it is a very green approach and who doesn't like a nice field that leads to the seaside? :)

They've just finished the Wherry lines re-signalling a few days ago, pretty much all the 'heritage' features have been removed, I expect. :(
However, some of the signals etc. may go to a deserving heritage railway. :D
If not, they will probably be stored for re-use on the (still fairly significant) parts of the national rail network which use 'heritage' signals.

387star

On Moderation
Bath from Bradford on Avon if you call thst one long approach! Love driving it. World away from Sutton loops. It's like I'm in a Constable painting. Luscious vegetation and river views. A walkers paradise! Feels dreamy.

saxsux

Approaching Truro in the down direction must count to this too. Lovely views over the city and cathedral as your pass over the viaduct.

8J

I find the approach into Liverpool Lime Street quite atmospheric

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I imagine there are numerous examples over the Settle and Carlisle which meet the requirements of this thread. For example when you're approaching Ribblehead from the North, travelling over Ribblehead Viaduct.

I think Whalley Viaduct is also pleasant- to the South of Whalley Station.

Train jaune

Local to me is Lancaster from the north. Over the Carlisle bridge, high above the river Lune with views over the river and Georgian quayside, castle and cityscape with the Ashton memorial high on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.