• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most exhilarating station approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
These aren't major stations but that approaches to kidwelly and ferryside stations are spectacular. I never see them mentioned as well.

The approach to Dawlish in both directions is spectacular as well as the northbound approach to Exeter st David's.

I'd also say the approach to Hertford North northbound has some surprisingly good views.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Conwy from Llandudno junction.

A view of the castle, nice bit of water and then you go through the tunnel to the station.

Taunton

Established Member
A nice small-scale one is the DLR from Bank approaching Canary Wharf. Up high, then down at speed, very sharp right, up again, into the station, all between the high rises, often with other trains passing over and under. It's the closest thing to a Big Dipper. Sit at the front.

Overseas spectacle is on the Sydney, Australia suburban lines. Depart Wynyard in tunnel, then suddenly you are up high on the Sydney Harbour bridge, Opera House, spectacular Harbour, Pacific Ocean in the far distance beyond The Heads, into Milsons Point, where you can alight and photograph back along the line to the bridge. This time, sit upstairs.

Last edited:

pinkmarie80

Another vote for Newcastle from the South here. I’m an exiled Geordie lass who lives in the Midlands now and that approach means I’m coming home.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Mentioned once already but Liverpool Street from Stratford with the views of famous sky scrapers to the east and then looking out an open droplight. (not hanging out!) and seeing the Great roof which would be amazing if it was cleaned.

The view across Birmingham as you approach Moor Street from the south is pretty good.

Stockport from Manchester across the viaduct is cool and has a great brewery in sight.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I disagree. Berko was always quick, and nothing but a station. Rugby wasn’t quick, and the route is under flyovers, over numerous junctions, reverse curves and a station.

Besides, Linslade tunnel on the DF is better than Berko.
You haven't seen nothing unless you've been over Southcote Junction on the Berks and Hants from Reading heading towards the West Country on a HST. Lively doesn't really describe it!

gazzaa2

I love the view at Blackfriars. When you're on the platform you're almost disappointed when the train turns up.

2L70

On Moderation
The section of line before you reach Castlerock from the Derry direction is stunning.

Why

Loved the approach to Bath on HST's from London, Sydney Gardens, Bath Cricket Club and Bath coming into view.

beardedbrit

Agree with several posts above with the southern approaches to Berwick/Newcastle/Durham, Durham being my favourite railway view of the lot, I always ensure I’m on the eastern side (with the better view at all three but especially of Durham) of the train when passing through.

And this might sound weird, but I really, really, like the approach into Kings Cross. Being from the north, I’m not in London often - I can count on both hands the number of times I’ve been in my lifetime - so I find the entrance into London, from about Hadley Wood onwards, quite exhilarating. I know many thousands of people do it daily, but to someone like me, it isn’t the norm and that’s what I like about it.

Seconded. Family home when I was younger was in Muswell Hill, which you could see when the train was between Alexandra Palace and Hornsey, and since I lived in both Cambridge and Edinburgh I arrived at KX often. Nowadays the Emirates Stadium is pretty spectacular as well.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I quite like the entrance to Nottingham from the west. Castle Marina, then the nice properties in The Park, with the castle on the hill.

I also like the approach to Manchester Victoria from Liverpool. Lots of new buildings going up, with new ones every time I pass.

Mike99

If ever a thread needed a like button it must be this thread, so many posts up thread I agree with and can picture the views described around the country, I kept wanted to press an imaginary agree or like button

Requeststop

Any journey home is exhilarating for me. The end of a very long journey that has taken at the very least two days of travel.

Truro always raises my spirits. The wonderful view of the city and the cathedral is uplifting.

The ride into St Erth from Hayle with the glimpse of St Ives and the Hayle river estuary, especially when the tide is in. The view to Lelant and the church of St Uny, and Lelant station across the way, never fails to uplift me.

The views into St Ives as you approach are amazing to behold, and as you turn the final curve at Porthminster Point and see the beach below and the harbour is just.......WOW.

Finally, The ride into Penzance from just about the Marazion marshes when you get the first glimpse of St Michaels Mount and then a few seconds later when you see Mounts Bay.

So pleased that others have mentioned my favourites too.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'd hope that I'm not the first to say the approach to Kyle of Lochalsh from Attadale. It's quite a long build-up but for your journey you get a tunnel, a race with an A road, loch side views, sea views, pretty villages (Plockton, Duirinish, Stromeferry), views of great mountains and the Isle of Skye and Skye Bridge at the end of the pier where you arrive.

marks87

Established Member
Doesn't Dundee have a reputation for being exiliterating to and from the North? Narrow streets with houses really close by on each side and a decent speed limit?

Sort of.

Coming towards Dundee, you have Carnoustie, Monifieth and Broughty Ferry which are more or less as you describe, with the occasional golf course and new development thrown in.

After Broughty Ferry, on the left you get a great view across the Tay. But once you pass under Stannergate Bridge, it all gets a bit industrial before the dive down into Dock Street Tunnel.

chefchenko

I’ve always liked the approach’s to Inverness on the HML about 10 minutes out overlooking the moray firth and Kessock bridge in glimpses, then dropping into the city through woodland

Scottychoo

I would suggest Montrose from the south, with the curving viaduct approach looking over the town and harbour to one side and the expanse of the tidal basin to the other.
It might not be a major station, but being home, it is significant to me.
I do this journey most days and never tire of it.

QueensCurve

Established Member
As an antidote to the rather gloomy thread 'Most Depressing Stretch of Line on the Network', which major station on the network has the best approach, either scenically or in terms of railway interest ?

My choices: Edinburgh Waverley for scenic approach; York (approaching from the north) for both criteria.

Edinburgh via Princes St Gardens, yes, Bath from the East and Dundee over the Tay Bridge.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I am not sure exhilarating is the best term for Blaenau Ffestiniog, but... after going through the long dark tunnel which is over 2 miles long and then coming out to the daylight and the large slate filled hills and little bits of history dotted every where you look it is quite an impressive ( exhilarating??) sight as you head towards the station.

thejuggler

If you like a viaduct and river view on approach add Knaresborough to the 'one to see' list.

MoleStation

Another one..Byker to Manors on the Tyne and Wear Metro. From Byker station, onto the viaduct that spans the Ouseburn Valley. Gateshead to the left in the distance as well as the Tyne bridges. The viaduct then plunges down between the other two Byker bridges either side of you and you keep heading down and down into the darkness of the tunnel then you're at Manors(!)

Edders23

I have a suggestion admins do we have a poll capability on the forum if so based on the whole discussion pick the 6 or 7 most mentioned and set up a vote ;)

krus_aragon

Established Member
I have a suggestion admins do we have a poll capability on the forum if so based on the whole discussion pick the 6 or 7 most mentioned and set up a vote ;)
There is indeed the facility for a poll, this option can be selected by the author of the first post in a thread (when creating it, or later by editing it).

Phil G

Edinburgh via Princes St Gardens, yes, Bath from the East and Dundee over the Tay Bridge.
I've done Chippenham to Bath most days for 35 years and yes it is good but maybe you get a bit complacent, so it's nice to see others appreciate it!

Amlag

The most exhilarating, certainly in terms of noise, would be the approach to Exeter Central
up the 1 in 37 gradient from Exeter St D, travelling in the front coach of a train hauled by a class 50 or 52 diesel locomotive.

Goofle

Sightly left field perhaps but the entrance to Sheffield from the Doncaster direction always impresses me. The looking down on Attercliffe and Brightside area then disappearing into brick walled sided tracks before popping out into the station area....

Status
Not open for further replies.