Most expensive beer bought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitchell Hurd, 6 Sep 2019.

1. Mitchell Hurd

Mitchell Hurd Member

Hello everyone. I thought I'd create this thread and see what people's takes are.

On Twitter, it was said that last night someone in a Manchester hotel had been sold possibly the most expensive beer - at £55,000!

Surely it was a case of the barman or barmaid typed in the extra 2 zero's and forgot to put the decimal.

If I had £55,000 I'd rather buy many things than buy the best-tasting beer in the world :)!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

That was one hell of a tip for the barmaid - 'take something for yourself' just acquired a whole new meaning :lol:

4. thejuggler

thejuggler Member

Story is also on BBC.

Makes my £10 for a pint in Bergen 10 years ago look excellent value. I refused to pay £16 in Oslo a couple of years later.

5. IanD

IanD Established Member

To add insult to injury, his credit card company also charged him a £1000 foreign currency transaction fee. Must have a huge credit limit though to allow that through.

Paid £10 of my own money for a bottle of raspberry stout the other week - better be worth it!

Once we won a £50 bar tab in a quiz in The Draft House in Milton Keynes (now Brewdog). We bought three bottles of beer with it - His Majesty and Her Majesty by Yeastie Boys were £22 each for 750ml, both a bit disappointing. I think we got a Kwak with some of the change.

6. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Was just about to say that I paid about £11 for a bottle of beer on a Norwegian train a few weeks ago.

7. 306024

306024 Established Member

£18 in Oslo three years ago. Only had the one for some reason.

8. Royston Vasey

Royston Vasey Established Member

He is a journalist, it may well be a company card which often has no limit. I had no limit on a company Amex I had a while ago.

9. IanD

IanD Established Member

Could be but the BBC article says he rang his wife and the money had come out of their account, sounds like maybe a debit card.

10. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I bought a bottle of Thomas Hardy's ale thirty or forty years ago for £10 which was supposed to be kept for ten years before opening. I had a cellar in my then house where it resided. After the decade was up I opened it and..... not even an anti-climax, it was a putrid gloopy disgusting mess which you wouldn't have touched with a bargepole.

11. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

He paid £55,315.12, apparently.

So now we know the beer was £5.53 and his PIN is 1512.

My most expensive beer is either the £13 for a pint of Peroni at the Atlantis in Dubai or the €24 I paid for two 330ml bottles of Heineken at Ushuaia.

12. MfS

MfS On Moderation

Are you really the famous English comedian Roy „Chubby“ Brown? !!

The most expensive I have ever paid for bier was of course in London.

13. curlcurlimp

curlcurlimp Member

A bottle of VB cost me the equivalent of £10 when I was working in Singapore eight years a go. Shocking.

14. thejuggler

thejuggler Member

I have two bottles of Whitbread Celebration Ale which was released in 1992. I've been tempted to open one, but never have.

15. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

And I thought I'd done badly with a small bottle of imported Belgian Leffe Bruin, in a top floor hotel bar in Narvik in 2016: also £11. Needless to say, I only had the one beer that day, and given the current strength of the pound, or rather otherwise, I'm unlikely to be visiting Norway again anytime soon.

16. stuart100100

stuart100100 Member

About £11.50 in Stockholm Airport

17. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

Seeing some of the above posts makes me feel better about spaffing roughly £7 on a Pint a few months ago. Not a surprising price considering it was from the craft beer co. place in Brixton but at least it tasted good.

18. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

Quite! If using a card, I am fastidious at checking the amount displayed, especially on hand held PDQ machines where, by virtue of the human element, mistakes will be more common.

19. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

And what sort of credit limit he has. ;)

20. Pakenhamtrain

Pakenhamtrain Member

A pint of beer down here is around 5-6 pound. And We complain that costs too much!

21. IanD

IanD Established Member

Decent beer and 9.2% but overall I'd say it wasn't worth it.

22. xc170

xc170 Member

And I thought I had been ripped off when I paid £4.50 for a bottle of Newcastle Brown on Saturday...

23. IanD

IanD Established Member

You had :D

24. xc170

xc170 Member

Hotel bar price unfortunately, bottled beer was probably the only thing they hadn't watered down :D

25. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Worst for me was £7.50 for a pint (can't even remember what brand), around 2003. It was at the Astoria in London, the sweat-filled acoustic deadzone that it was. Dread to think what that would be in today's prices, which is why I haven't looked it up.

Can't believe anyone was actually upset when that place got Crossrail-ed! <D

Outside of London, Yates's in Leeds (and elsewhere) sells Desperados for £6 a pint. Nicer than from a bottle or can, but not that much nicer!

26. 87electric

87electric Member

My obsession with Imperial Stouts has seen me pay well over £20 a pint. Obviously you don’t drink it in pints but in thirds at £7 a go.
    A beer brewing American friend did have a $50 bottle of stout in his reserve and he generously opened it for us both to savour.

27. 185143

185143 Established Member

Dearest I can immediately think of that I've paid was £5.50 for a Peroni near Cambridge station.

Though something tells me I've paid £5.60 for a Stella, likely at either Crewe or Man Picc...

28. LowLevel

LowLevel Established Member

160 quid for a bottle of Lanssens Belgian lambic from about 1960.

29. Macwomble

Macwomble Member

Average price for a pint in Singapore is around 12 quid nowadays (as I found out earlier this year) even "happy hour" cost around 9 quid.
    Hong Kong ain't too cheap either at around 9 quid a pint.

On the flip side....Fiji Bitter was around £1.50 a pint (locally).