• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most expensive fare for the shortest journey time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
How about Cottingham to Hull - 6 minutes: Single £4.70, Returns £4.80-£6.10

soil

Established Member
Not that anyone should ever pay that much for the ticket. It costs more than a day single in each direction, so all the return does is mess with people who have certain railcards.

only 10p more

I am shocked that the OP thinks this fare is a rip off ;)

Not the best bargain, certainly, but reasonable enough when you consider the alternatives. To drive from Doncaster to York would take, even in ideal conditions, the best part of an hour and parking in central York is extremely limited and expensive.

Im a Yorkshireman = Tight with money ;)

Not everyone has a car, however free car parking can be found in York with just 15 minute walk to the centre :D

The classic one has to be Greenfield to Marsden, where an 8 minute journey will cost you £5.60 single. A fare so notorious the matter has even been raised in parliament!

http://www.smart-rail.co.uk/?p=670

This is one station that comes under GMPTE and the other one that comes under WYPTE, you would have thought both PTE's would have worked together to bring the prices down like you get on the Penistone Line

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This is one station that comes under GMPTE and the other one that comes under WYPTE, you would have thought both PTE's would have worked together to bring the prices down like you get on the Penistone Line

The gaps between PTE areas are the only place that TOCs have to make lots of money!

CC 72100

Established Member
I've always found Tiverton Parkway to Taunton oddly expensive given the price of the fares from say Taunton to Bristol or Tiverton to Totnes. It's the one irritating barrier in the way of reasonable fares from the South West to the Midlands I find.

Eh? Surely you mean Taunton - Bristol being the expensive part? Anything past Tiverton is very reasonable and Taunton - Tiverton wasn't that bad if I remember correctly.

ashworth

Established Member
I was shocked to find out that a 20 minute journey will cost £14.90 for a single and £17.40 for a return, this is what is been offered for a " Day " return from Doncaster to York.

What was shocking is this was cheaper than buying 2 advanced tickets :o

This got me thinking, does anyone know of any rif-off fares for short travelling times eg. under 30 minutes ?

I don't think this is bad at all in comparison to an almost equal distance journey from Doncaster in the opposite direction down the ECML.

An off Peak Return from Doncaster to Newark is £20.40 (£22.10 for an Anytime Day Return).
Or an amazingly high £19.90 for an Off Peak Single (£21.60 for an Anytime Day Single)

I don't think this is bad at all in comparison to an almost equal distance journey from Doncaster in the opposite direction down the ECML.

An off Peak Return from Doncaster to Newark is £20.40 (£22.10 for an Anytime Day Return).
Or an amazingly high £19.90 for an Off Peak Single (£21.60 for an Anytime Day Single)

Its all gone down hill since GNER left the ECML, then you could go from Doncaster to York for £12 and as you have pointed out their were special tickets on offer, think a weekend return from Doncaster to Peterborough was £25

Goatboy

Established Member
Eh? Surely you mean Taunton - Bristol being the expensive part? Anything past Tiverton is very reasonable and Taunton - Tiverton wasn't that bad if I remember correctly.

No, I mean Tiverton to Taunton. The Single is almost £10 for this journey, whereas Taunton to say Bristol Parkway is only £2 more despite being roughly double the distance.

CC 72100

Established Member
No, I mean Tiverton to Taunton. The Single is almost £10 for this journey, whereas Taunton to say Bristol Parkway is only £2 more despite being roughly double the distance.

I've just had a look and see what you're saying, apologies for initial confusion. I guess its higher as you're out of good value Devon when you go East of Tiverton.

Goatboy

Established Member
It's a real nuisance when trying to split your way around XC's awful long distance fares :p

(I also love the way on longer routes most XC Advance fares come to about the same price as a flexible walkon return when you buy one each way).

CC 72100

Established Member
It's a real nuisance when trying to split your way around XC's awful long distance fares :p

I bet you end up playing around a bit with Rovers & Rangers? I certainly would be if I had a trip home and back at short notice ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The classic one has to be Greenfield to Marsden, where an 8 minute journey will cost you £5.60 single. A fare so notorious the matter has even been raised in parliament!

http://www.smart-rail.co.uk/?p=670

I rather enjoyed doing this trip in a lovely spacious and recently refurbed 156 yesterday (particularly having just seen the huddled masses standing in the aisles on TPE's express services !)

If the fares gap were closed, I wonder if more people would choose the stopper !

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
This thread and, within it, mention of the Heathrow Express reminded me: when the H.E. service was launched, there was a press article about how the walk-on first class fare was - £ per mile - more expensive than flying Concorde from London to New York.

But, back in the day, you wouldn't have seen Old Oak Common or North Pole Eurostar depots from your Concorde window, so I guess Heathrow Express had the advantage over champagne, a la carte dining and mach 2 travel...

Goatboy

Established Member
I wonder how HEX compares in cost to other similar systems across the world?

£32 return or whatever it is seems ridiculously expensive - I've only ever used it when they've done the odd 2 for 1 deal. Usually just use Connect instead for half the price.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Does anybody actually use Heathrow express ? I can‘t imagine there are enough millionaires in the country to justify it!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Does anybody actually use Heathrow express ? I can‘t imagine there are enough millionaires in the country to justify it!

People on expenses, unsuspecting foreigners, people on certain Rover tickets, people at the end of a long journey and just wanting to get home asap, ...

There is a substantial market I would argue.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
People on expenses, unsuspecting foreigners, people on certain Rover tickets, people at the end of a long journey and just wanting to get home asap, ...

There is a substantial market I would argue.

A case of fools and their money being easily parted I think !

(with the exception of the rover users perhaps :))

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think you can count Heathrow Express in this competition, given that part of it is a private railway.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not aware of any Rover or Ranger tickets valid on Heathrow Express.

BritRail is an example of a Rover ticket that is valid on Heathrow Express, although certain varieties may not be classed as a leisure travel pass using a strict interpretation of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.