• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

most expensive single fare on a bus between the shortest points and opposite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Can anyone give an example most expensive single fare on a bus between the shortest points and also the most cheapest single fare on a bus between the furthest points.

One i can think of is the A1 in Bristol - £6 between Temple Meads and Bristol Bus Station, a journey of only 6 minutes

However the 11 in Birmingham (Outer Circle), journey of 3 hours with a maximum single fare of £1.90.

Also i forgot to add, CASH FARES ONLY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
*Finds longest TfL bus route*

The flat £1.35 Oyster fare must be a contender here for a very good value fare, but also a very poor value fare if you're only going one or two stops!

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Forgot to add ( but now added in my OP that i am referring to cash fares only)

Statto

Established Member
*Finds longest TfL bus route*

The flat £1.35 Oyster fare must be a contender here for a very good value fare, but also a very poor value fare if you're only going one or two stops!

Think X26 although that's an express route, think night route N89 is the longest stopper route, the 24 hour routes 25 & 83 are quite long by TFL standards.

34D

Established Member
Cheapest: stagecoach Hull do a 20p city fare. I boarded at a place at the east side of town and was most surprised to be charged only 20p to go to Paragon interchange! This was August 2012.

BestWestern

Established Member
Cheapest: stagecoach Hull do a 20p city fare. I boarded at a place at the east side of town and was most surprised to be charged only 20p to go to Paragon interchange! This was August 2012.

Jesus, it really is grim up north then! Times must be 'ard in 'ull?! :o

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Okay, £2.30 for one stop on a London bus is pretty expensive then! (It's also pretty expensive for most journeys, which is why I am not surprised I barely ever see people pay cash)

Looks like the plan's working...

Think X26 although that's an express route, think night route N89 is the longest stopper route, the 24 hour routes 25 & 83 are quite long by TFL standards.

Yes, N89 is the longest route (longer than the X26 I think) (or at least has the most bus stops by quite some way) with the N9 some way behind it and then another large gap before any other routes.

Last edited:

JamesRowden

Established Member
On First's 702 Greenline bus service it is just £1 to travel on the 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30 services from Victoria to Bracknell.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The Keighley Tour (Service 822) which ran on weekends and the Bank Holiday in August this year was £1 for any distance up to a full 90 minute guided tour (no concession fares).

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Deerfold:1231513 said:
Best value: The No. 11A or 11C circular route in Birmingham if you go round and round it all day?
CL

Is a single ticket valid to do that or do you have to get day ticket?

If you board a 11a at say Yardley Swan Island on the north side, you can get a £1.90 single which will take you as far as the south side of the Swan island via Everywhere.

SS4

Established Member
Is a single ticket valid to do that or do you have to get day ticket?

If you board an 11C at say Yardley Swan Island on the south side, you can get a £1.90 single which will take you as far as the north side of the Swan island via pretty much everywhere. ;)

of course I cannot claim that as my own idea :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But then such is the structure of Birmingham's pricing that you can pay £1.70 to travel from the law courts to the Children's hospital.

Shrimper

At my company you can do East Didsbury to Manchester Piccadilly for £1.60; a distance just short of 6 miles according to the running board. You can also travel from Owens Park to the Uni for £1, which is about 1.5 miles.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Same as Network Warrington, who charge 20p between the bus station (outside Central station) to Bank Quay station.

mattyb1405

I am sure I saw an Arriva (?) Malta bus on the M5 north heading to the M6 north, is that really possible ? Guessing probably (!) not really a long journey, but didn't want to start a new thread - why would it be there ?

Last edited:

Eagle

Established Member
Actually there are two bus stops on the Tyburn Road which are 92m apart but it'll still cost £1.70 to travel between them.

Can't seem to beat that in Coventry, but there are several sub-200-metre spacings between stops on Charter Avenue, also for £1.70. (There are also some short ones in the city centre, but those are all £1.00.)

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Okay, £2.30 for one stop on a London bus is pretty expensive then!

Not bad for some of the night bus routes to places like Bexleyheath, Erith, Woodford, Greenford ect... !!!!

My school bus is £3.50 a day for a return (20 miles?) but the single is £2.50.
Every single other bus that leaves from my school is a 50p flat fare.

St austell station to eden project cost me and my dad £10.10 which is very dear considering the rail trip from Falmouth was only 3 pound something!

Liam

Established Member
The X95 from Edinburgh to Carlisle used to be something like £5.50 a few years ago. Not sure what it is now. I imagine it will still be pretty good value for money.

wintonian

Established Member
£8.00 day ticket for Wilts and Dorset/Bluestar can get you from Southampton to Swindon (albeit with one or two changes), which is somewhat longer than Portsmouth to Brighton.

All right if your going to play that game then pick the furthest points that stagecoach serve from the area of validity for the Dayrider Gold. :p

†Available for use on all Stagecoach services in Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, West Sussex and Wiltshire including Andover, Basingstoke, Blackwater Valley, Brighton, Chichester, Havant, Hayling Island, Portsmouth, Winchester and Worthing, with some minor exceptions for private contracts & special event services. Valid at all times.

Didn't Kent and East Sussex used to be included?

Even though the OP said singles <D

If I get on the bus at Southsea and ask for a single to Brighton that is what the driver would sell me. <D

VTPreston_Tez

Every ticket I buy is free except 50p before 9:30 Monday to Friday. And it has a voucher on the back. So technically I can do Penzance-Hexham for free, on singles.

sonic2009

Established Member
If your trying to see whats the best for your money. If you left early enough you could do Atherstone - Swindon (possibly further) on Stagecoach using a dayrider gold 7.80

Atherstone - Coventry
Coventry - Stratford Upon Avon
Stratford - Banbury
Banbury - Oxford
Oxford - Swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.