• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most faded grandeur (trivia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Inspired by the most historical stations thread, which have an air of faded grandeur?

My starter is Spalding. Handsome station building, but now only 2 platforms, with a footbridge to nowhere, supported on scaffolding on the edge of a housing estate built on the site of more platforms. Goods yard reduced to just a single siding.

Closely followed by March. 2 platforms in use from an original 6, but here more of the station fabric remains (though severely decayed in places).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greetlander

Penistone rates for me (and it was even more faded when the disused overheads were in place). Guide Bridge also.

Aberystwyth. Down to 1 platform plus 1 Vale of Rheidol.

Llandudno and Bridlington both have a case of the fadeds, although Llandudno has been improved. Blackpool South counts if you see it as a grimly surviving stub.

Halifax - best bit of the station wonderfully restored and disused. Just enough left to demonstrate a former greatness.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Pontypridd's great island platform (once the longest in the world) is a shadow of what it once was, with several portions disused and a great big bridge ramp parked on the northern end.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wakefield Kirkgate, though it isn't quite as faded as it once was...

Before the rebuild, St. Pancras was the epitome of faded grandeur!

trebor79

Established Member
Before the rebuild, St. Pancras was the epitome of faded grandeur!
I loved it before the rebuild. Had fantastic atmosphere, and I just loved the decay and grubbiness for some reason. I'd sometimes go there just for a mooch about. The massive roof use to make me in awe, they effect has certainly been hugely diminished by the glass screens, clutter of champagne bars etc and the shed tacked onto the country end.

BucksBones

I'd say Crewe.

It's a long time ago now but the pre-arena, original Manchester Victoria was the epitome of faded grandeur.

PeterC

Established Member
I loved it before the rebuild. Had fantastic atmosphere, and I just loved the decay and grubbiness for some reason. I'd sometimes go there just for a mooch about. The massive roof use to make me in awe, they effect has certainly been hugely diminished by the glass screens, clutter of champagne bars etc and the shed tacked onto the country end.
I would second that. Few London stations have that atmosphere any more, definitely all to the good but I am still nostalgic about travelling the North London Line in a class 501 with bars on the windows.

Brush 4

Most of the BR rationalised stations really, where platforms have been reduced and then, reduced again. Barnstaple, Newquay, Aberystwyth, Bridlington, March, Gt Yarmouth, Weymouth. Rugby, a once huge soaring trainshed, now an open air island platform. Pontypool Rd, Mirfield.

O L Leigh

Established Member
The old St Pancras gave me the willies. As children we used to go through there on the way to our grandparents in Bedford prior to the electrification and it always made me feel uneasy. My last contact with the place prior to the rebuild was in 2000 when I went to collect some tickets from the booking office. It was amazing to see the wood panelling on the walls and the original ticket clerks windows.

Interestingly, when I’ve been back in Eurostar days I find that despite the lighter, airier feel of the place, the old trainshed still gives me the willies. There’s just something about the place.

quantinghome

Established Member
Ooh, I'd go for Hellifield. Intricate ironwork, lovely to look at. In the middle of a field.

Chris M

Brunel's terminus at Bristol Temple Meads reduced to a car park.
Tynemouth is a shadow of its former self in rail terms, although very good use has been made of much of it so it's not as bad as it once was.
Highbridge - now just two platforms but with the stub of the footbridge hinting at its former importance.
Highbury and Islington (and many other North London Line stations) had some fine architecture before BR came along and threw up some tiny concrete huts.
In its latter days, London Broad Street I think would have taken the crown though.

Revilo

Highbridge’s footbridge has since been replaced so no longer has the stub.

Glossop, much of which is now a co-op supermarket but the Duke of Norfolk's lion still stands proudly over the entrance to what is now the pharmacy.
Another vote for Perth with all its nooks, crannies and detail, clock, doors and window joinery and so much faded and ghostly atmosphere. Hellifield too.............................

WesternLancer

Established Member
Some great suggestions. Things have moved on from the likes of Tunbridge Wells West or Polegate in the 1st half of the 1980s - still in very weather worn southern region cream and green and neglected shadows of their former selves

pic on here showing booking office still gas lit in 1985, or so it says
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/tunbridge_wells_west/index3.shtml

I suspect I'm moving a bit off topic as I guess the OP means now...

Sprinter156

Second mention of Ayr, I really doubt the station hotel can be saved. It's been reported that there's around 1000 defects with the building. Old station building and facilities completely fenced off. Ticket office is now in some temporary metal box thing. Platforms 1 and 2 shortened to fit 4 carriages.

quantinghome

Established Member
Leeds North concourse until it was reopened in the late 1990s. I remember it being a very dingy car park.

Tracked

Established Member
Chester looked a bit grim, more that bits had seemingly been left to rot, though was 2 years ago and they were doing some work last time I was there so it may have improved.

oldchap

Aberdeen - particularly the north end with all the filled in platforms - but now the main entrance exterior is in the shopping centre I'd count that too.

Revaulx

Crewe has, as long as i can recall, always been a dump
Not so much a dump as terminally dull. The up side buffet is actually quite welcoming.

The 1960 entrance canopy was incongruously elegant. A shame it wasn't very robust; its replacement is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.