• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Hated Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Further questions were asked about the DMS in the mid-80s when a number of LRT contracts were let which were won by independents using DMSs which London Buses had been busy divesting themselves of - notable winners being London Buslines and Ensign. The obvious question was why when LT operated them didn't they work properly on the route yet when an independent took them on they did........

I believe such losses enforced a change of policy by London Buses who then kept the remaining (mainly B20) Fleetlines until the late 80s / early 90s when they'd previously been slated for withdrawl.

More embarrassing was the re-purchase of Fleetlines from Scotland for use by LBL on Bexleybus work!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plcd1

The only bus I have ever deliberately avoided using is the New Bus for London. It makes me ill. Why should I use a vehicle that makes me ill?

Partly type related was the conversion of LT routes 28 and 31 to Mercedes Minibus and then Wright Handybus Dart operation. The overcrowding on the first two generations of vehicles on those services was so appalling that I gave up using those routes and visiting areas on the main corridor through inner West London.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The only bus I have ever deliberately avoided using is the New Bus for London. It makes me ill. Why should I use a vehicle that makes me ill?

Partly type related was the conversion of LT routes 28 and 31 to Mercedes Minibus and then Wright Handybus Dart operation. The overcrowding on the first two generations of vehicles on those services was so appalling that I gave up using those routes and visiting areas on the main corridor through inner West London.

I don't think that was Peter Hendy's finest hour, though it certainly wasn't held against him when he left Centrewest for TfL. Of course he never got the necessary big increase in pvr which conversion from a 69 passenger Routemaster would suggest. Funnily enough passenger numbers on these routes and associated ones like 328, 7 and 23 are once again plummeting, probably more due to the traffic congestion in non- Congestion Charge Kensington borough and some surrounds.

SCH117X

Established Member
Anyone come across one off of a bus that they hated. South Notts had 6 Fleetlines with Northern Counties Manchester style bodies, 110-115 acquired new between 1978 and 1980. One of these, a 1979 delivery fleet number 113, for some weird reason had a nearside seat in the lower saloon bolted to the floor at a slight angle such that the nearer the window you sat the less legroom you had. Never seemed to get corrected.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Anyone come across one off of a bus that they hated. South Notts had 6 Fleetlines with Northern Counties Manchester style bodies, 110-115 acquired new between 1978 and 1980. One of these, a 1979 delivery fleet number 113, for some weird reason had a nearside seat in the lower saloon bolted to the floor at a slight angle such that the nearer the window you sat the less legroom you had. Never seemed to get corrected.

Yes! Northern Scottish NBT21 (A121GSA) - Leyland Tiger with Gardner engine and Voith 4-speed transmission instead of the pneumocyclic that the rest of the batch had. It was okay if driven hard enough, but it never seemed to want to change up. From a passenger point of view it felt really sluggish.

Statto

Established Member
Got to mention i have a hatred for the Arriva North West East Lancs Myllenniums that were delivered new to Speke & Birkenhead reg Y*** KNF or Y*** KBU, firstly they have the DAF SB220 chassis, which they feel like they're struggling to get to 20mph, secondly they're fitted with the awful Urban 90 seats & are quite cramped, thankfully they're 16 years old so on there way out, i always sigh in disappointing when i see it on the service i'm about to catch.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Got to mention i have a hatred for the Arriva North West East Lancs Myllenniums that were delivered new to Speke & Birkenhead reg Y*** KNF or Y*** KBU, firstly they have the DAF SB220 chassis, which they feel like they're struggling to get to 20mph, secondly they're fitted with the awful Urban 90 seats & are quite cramped, thankfully they're 16 years old so on there way out, i always sigh in disappointing when i see it on the service i'm about to catch.
I agree with you about the Urban 90 seats, they have to be one of the most uncomfortable bus seats going!
Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

AaronR

When Ipswich had Optare Delta's with the DAF SB220 chassis I remember them to be exceptionally fast buses and much loved by the drivers?

Mikey C

Established Member
Hate is a strong word, but I'm not a fan of the Scania/East Lancs Omnidekka as specced by London United/Sovereign

The main problem if that they're (for weight reasons?) low height, and I presume it's this which results in all sorts of compromises, when compared to the normal height body in the equivalent Volvos of that generation.

I have to duck to get out, headroom at the back of the lower deck is terrible, while the staircase is narrow, most of the handrail is missing on the near side, and upstairs there's a strange intrusion in the floor next to the staircase well...

28410419940_58fefb22dc_b.jpg

fredk

Arriva London DLA ALX400 bodied DAF DB250LF - Slowest, noisiest and worst ride of any bus I've used. Pure hell when they used to turn up instead of an e400.

New routemaster - great to look at but on the top deck it is hard to breathe.

fowler9

Established Member
Arriva London DLA ALX400 bodied DAF DB250LF - Slowest, noisiest and worst ride of any bus I've used. Pure hell when they used to turn up instead of an e400.

I think you were being kind saying they new Routemasters are good to look at.

sk688

Though vastly inferior to an e400 or gemini 2 , the (Watford ) examples , at least , despite being older and , shall we say careworn , were quieter and quicker than the B7TL ALX400s , which were noisier , and had those seats with the Urban 90 Lettering ( the horrible ones ) , is what I would say from experience on the 258 and 340

Also , Watford's E400 ( SN08 AAE , T199 ) , is the worst bus I have ever been on . Tired externally , internally , rattling , engine roaring , seats faded ( in the old livery as well ) , and generally quite bad , definitely worse than the DAF DB250 Pulsar Gemini ( 55 Plate ) buses at Watford

Do Arriva just let their buses rot ? imo , their upkeep of their buses is very poor , with their new Streetdecks beginning to look tired too ( 16 reg as well )
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

See above post , for Arriva London E400 T199 ( SN08 AAE ) , operating from Watford

Last edited:

fredk

Though vastly inferior to an e400 or gemini 2 , the (Watford ) examples , at least , despite being older and , shall we say careworn , were quieter and quicker than the B7TL ALX400s , which were noisier , and had those seats with the Urban 90 Lettering ( the horrible ones ) , is what I would say from experience on the 258 and 340

Also , Watford's E400 ( SN08 AAE , T199 ) , is the worst bus I have ever been on . Tired externally , internally , rattling , engine roaring , seats faded ( in the old livery as well ) , and generally quite bad , definitely worse than the DAF DB250 Pulsar Gemini ( 55 Plate ) buses at Watford

Do Arriva just let their buses rot ? imo , their upkeep of their buses is very poor , with their new Streetdecks beginning to look tired too ( 16 reg as well )
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

See above post , for Arriva London E400 T199 ( SN08 AAE ) , operating from Watford

I might be getting confused between the DAF DB250 or B7TL. All I know is it is the ALX400 from Arriva which would make a huge amount of noise and accelerate slower than a bicycle. Some were better than others but there were a few which were incredibly slow and loud.

Statto

Established Member

Had the misfortune to ride them when some were transferred to Arriva NW Birkenhead depot, they're underpowered, thankfully they were transferred out quickly when the Hybrid deckers arrived.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

I've never experienced an Arriva DLA that was slow - are you sure it was a DAF ?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Hate is a strong word, but I'm not a fan of the Scania/East Lancs Omnidekka as specced by London United/Sovereign

The main problem if that they're (for weight reasons?) low height, and I presume it's this which results in all sorts of compromises, when compared to the normal height body in the equivalent Volvos of that generation.

I have to duck to get out, headroom at the back of the lower deck is terrible, while the staircase is narrow, most of the handrail is missing on the near side, and upstairs there's a strange intrusion in the floor next to the staircase well...

28410419940_58fefb22dc_b.jpg

Certainly the worst double deckers in London in recent years, prior to the intro of NBFL of course.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I've never experienced an Arriva DLA that was slow - are you sure it was a DAF ?

I'd back up that they are horrendously slow. The DAF Wrights that McGill's got from Arriva via Ensign are awful. They are the slowest things on the road.

Having a 3 speed gearbox doesn't exactly help when they are up and down a motorway all day and your lucky if you push 45mph.

SEClass375

Arriva Ex-London DLAs used to be my no.1 least liked bus but seeing that they have been withdrawn from my area, I couldn't choose which bus is my least favourite until now.

After waiting over 20 mins for a late bus that was most likely to be a double decker (B7TL ALX400 or B7TL Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini - Not bad buses), the second smallest bus in the world turns up - a Wrightbus StreetLite WF, a bus with few seats and no space that replaced nice Enviro 200s with more seats and more space.

That said made my decision, my least liked bus is the Wrightbus Streetlite WF

yorksrob

Veteran Member
All of the ones that leave just before I get there, along with the ones that don't stop because there's another bus in the way and the ones that don't turn up.

jaig

Scania OmniCity for me, very bumpy ride, seats are like sitting on lego

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

jaig

Scania OmniCity for me, very bumpy ride, seats are like sitting on lego

Also, horn is so loud on bottom deck imo, I always go upstairs, and always avoid the single deck versions where possible!

TheEscapist_

Another vote for the Volvo 7900. Feels like they have no suspension, rock solid seats and horrible stop start someone mentioned. Seems of for Lothian to get these, they usually get good buses with comfortable seats.

What's with all the hate on the Borismasters? I personally really like them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boeing737229

of the buses that run in Huddersfield:
TLC Travel Solo SRs (they all have the extremely basic interior and God-awful rock hard seats)
Arriva Yorks Lowlanders (somewhat ugly IMO; from what ive seen, generally scabby)
Yorks Tiger's MCV Evolutions (generally horrid; the bell is basically a fire alarm sounder)
Streamline's ex Lothian Dart (woefully sluggish and somewhat unsuitable for the 370/1 routes Streamline operate)
certain First Hudds ALX400s (rock hard seats and some are somewhat rickety I find)

RJ

Established Member

Many of the S-reg DLAs that ran out of Thornton Heath were absolutely pants - like really, really crap. Heavy, long, tortuously slow, low height so had to hunch right over to navigate upstairs and usually packed full of people - here's one in all its glory barely able to make it out of 1st gear between stops - https://youtu.be/GO6MJjwVfWM Was glad to see the back of them!

The newer Euro 3 variant was much better. Towards the end, some of them were more use as a leaf blower than a stage carriage like this one - https://youtu.be/Rdo4AQUv73s I don't know how the driver had so much patience with it as I would have failed it immediately!

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
Many of the S-reg DLAs that ran out of Thornton Heath were absolutely pants - like really, really crap. Heavy, long, tortuously slow, low height so had to hunch right over to navigate upstairs and usually packed full of people - here's one in all its glory barely able to make it out of 1st gear between stops - https://youtu.be/GO6MJjwVfWM Was glad to see the back of them!

The newer Euro 3 variant was much better. Towards the end, some of them were more use as a leaf blower than a stage carriage like this one - https://youtu.be/Rdo4AQUv73s I don't know how the driver had so much patience with it as I would have failed it immediately!

Mostly scrapped now but Plymouth Citybus had a few that really struggled up some of the steeper hills on many of the routes. The slow climb from the Lord Luis to Chaddlewood deserves a particular mention. Haven't been on one attempting church hill mind. Rare but a few also had the pleasure on the 5A when turning right from Holmwood Avenue up the steep bit of Goosewell Road.

The last route I saw them running is the 34 and 27 & 28s but think their days are numbered.

Statto

Established Member
Dislike the MCV Evolution buses, mostly because lack of leg room, & a local bus company in my area Avon Buses allocate these to a route that takes 2 hours, & knees & other muscle joints start aching after 50 minutes, that you get so relieved when you get off, annoying thing is the route itself 22 Chester-West Kirby-Moreton is one of those underrated scenic routes in the area.

Surreyman

The Wright Streetlite, ugly and alien.
(Fantasy land) -
If I was a 'Super Billionaire', I would buy up every last one and have them broken up.

(back to the land of reality!)
On a more realistic note, I imagine First Groups cut back in capital expenditure means that fewer will be ordered.

Established Member

They're not the nicest I agree, every time I'm in Sheffield and I use the bus I'm guaranteed to get at least one. The Enviro200s delivered to Olive Grove last year are a lot nicer, in my view.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
(Fantasy land) -
If I was a 'Super Billionaire', I would buy up every last one and have them broken up.

(back to the land of reality!)
On a more realistic note, I imagine First Groups cut back in capital expenditure means that fewer will be ordered.

Reality? Fewer? They only got 20 last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.