Most Hated Bus

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by J-2739, 1 Aug 2016.

1. Master29

Master29 Member

I think the DM/DMS wasn`t all bad, not from a travellers perspective. They had a poor infrastructure around them. Repairs were a problem as parts were unable to be sourced around LT garages. Whereas with the RT/RM they were designed around Aldenham works and had fewer problems. The routemaster wasn`t particularly successful at first and wasn`t generally liked, but LT had to work with it, where with the DMS was not seen as politically viable and so withered away. It could and indeed should have been so different.

2. Statto

Statto Established Member

After experiencing one the other day on the 82 Solihull-Coventry, the Mercedes Benz Citaros are awful, seating isn't even level on the nearside towards the rear of the vehicle, plus dreadful getting into gear, struggled getting up hills, & we're not talking hills with steep gradients either.

3. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

Is any low floor bus too broad? Because it's made bus travel less comfortable. It's too close to the ground.

4. GatwickDepress

GatwickDepress Established Member

I think the Citaros are the same bus used on Arriva MK's "Platinum" 300 service between Coachway and CMK. Absolutely awful seats and the vibration and noise was surprising for such a new bus. I had it on a 14/4 combo yesterday so 45 minutes on that damned bus...

5. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I didn't say they were bad from a passenger's perspective; I only said they were the ugliest bus design ever used in London...

6. J-2739

J-2739 Established Member

Any bus welcome :), but you know, you could try sitting in the raised rear area to emulate the feeling of a step entrance bus (unless it's a Citaro!)

Last edited: 18 Aug 2016
  7. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

For me, it would be a tie between the East Lancs Spryte (due to the fact almost every seat appears to have tiny amounts of leg room) and a Dart with Urban 90 seating. My experience is mainly of ones owned by Centrebus - noisy, bumpy, uncomfortable things. Why anyone thought a blow-moulded plastic seat with a bit of cloth on it was a good idea is a mystery to me.

8. Master29

Master29 Member

I wouldn`t have said they were ugly either.

9. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Did you get Waterloo's cast-offs?

10. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

I think there is a place reserved in hell for the designers of the Urban 90. I Had one of the few surviving Ex Truronian Darts still in service with First Kernow this year and really was disappointed to find those in it. Mind you, sadly I would have added that dart to the list of vehicles for the chop as well, given the loud knocking noise coming from underneath it. The GWR one by the way!

11. beermaddavep

beermaddavep Member

Yep - the Urban 90 is the pogo stick of luxurious seating- however- it has amazingly been surpassed in it's deep vein thrombosis inducing comfort level by the seats fitted by the Turks into the 'Temsa Avenues' that Arriva bought in small amounts a few years back.

Come to Teesside and try one- god help you if it's on a Middlesbrough Whitby service-a patch of uncushioned moquette on a badly shaped plastic seat that's harder than diamond is no way to spend 2 hours..... I honestly reckon the old slatted wooden seats fitted into vintage trams are more comfy......

12. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

I never found it that bad in the Lolynes that Arriva had up here, though it was a new level of misery in the Darts.

It's more about the seat pitch as designed, and some buses are designed with too many seats for the space available

Which nicely leads me back to Northern Counties and the hateful Paladin and its successor, the Prestige, which somehow managed to be even worse.

13. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Established Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Genuine question - do you mean GNE's Lolynes or the Arriva Lowlanders. I've travelled on the latter numerous times in ANE land (various cross Durham services from the 723 to the 55) and Arriva Yorkshire (Goole to Selby, Selby to Leeds etc) and they are dreadful.

However, the Prestige is (as I've said before) a special type of awful. Those who've never experienced one do not know what they've missed!

14. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Yes, those (again confused by the fact they're giving different names to the same bus body, depending on what chassis it is on).

I used to quite like the Lowlander, I used to ride the 723 a lot when I was at uni at Durham. But then they were brand new then.

Not been on them in recent years, though the Omnidekkas that GNE now have are pretty woeful.

15. AaronR

AaronR Member

What surprises me is how many buses that I thought were well regarded are on this list! Citaro's, Omnidekka's, Wright Eclipse, Wright Commander/Pulsar on SB200 etc. What buses are good?

I get a lot of people saying Olympians and VR's for instance as being good but I do remember in the late 90's and early 2000's that these too were slated!

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
  16. GusB

GusB Member

Casting my mind back to the late 1980s, I reckon my most hated bus would be the Dodge/Renault S56.

My local operator was Northern Scotttish and they decided to convert Elgin town services and the evening rural runs to minibus operation using 6 ex-Central Dodges. They were horrendous.

Second to that would be the original Darts.

17. the101

the101 Member

There was more than one of the post-deregulation minibus types that was dreadful; the Freight Rover Sherpa would give an S56 a run, although the few East Lancs-bodied Dodges were a special kind of dreadful. Iveco Dailys of that generation were bad too.

Optare has also produced its share of junk in the past, with the Excel and Vecta up there. Regardless of body the Dennis Lance was generally poor, while the asthmatic Volvo B6 was never anywhere near a Dart in terms of... anything.

The original-shape E200 must also count as dreadful, given that most rattled like mad from new.

18. J-2739

J-2739 Established Member

All to everyone's opinion. I like all these buses (excluding the Omnidekka), but I've always like Alexander Dennis products better, for being very robust and comfy. Wright products can feel cramped at the top because of their curvy roof, and Citaro's just like fire for some reason...
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Kinda depends really. The 60 reg ones are so much better in rattle absorbing than the ex-Tates 56 ones. Our 65 reg MMCs are so much better than both of them though.

19. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Royale's as they're cold in winter, felt old (considering that the ALX series was low floor and were cutting edge at the time), the design was something reminicent of a bus derived class 150/1 and for some strange reason always had that creaking and ball bearings rattling upstairs. The lurching about on these buses also did my head in.

One or two of the then Holmfirth Connection branded vehicles also had some large sections of rubber surround cut out from where the top left window is along with some metal flange plates which suggested that these "plates" were only there to hold the window in.

Got to admit now the new Geminis that are used on the rebranded Holme Valley Connection are a damn sight better than it once were.

20. A0wen

A0wen Established Member

The problem was with LT not the DMS.

Fleetlines were used extensively in and around Birmingham, Manchester and Coventry for example.

In London they were based in the outer area - places such as Edgware, Uxbridge or Croydon - and I don't believe for a minute that traffic conditions and infrastructure in those areas were significantly different than around Birmingham, Manchester or Coventry.

LT's problem was their "not invented here" attitude. They tried the same trick when replacing the DMS by pushing for the Titan - which few other places adopted, eventually prevailing upon the Olympian which was very successful and widely used.