• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most hated Loco/Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

joy54.gen

I dislike 170s mainly because there isn't anything good about them I can find at all. At least with Electrostars replacing slammers I can find some advantages like the A/C but with 170s there isn't any redeeming features. I suppose loco wise I don't really like 67s for no real reason particulary just overall rubbish I think.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steve158

Class 170s and all the similar types. they break down at every opportunity, the toilets are always blocked, some of them are never cleaned, the seats are uncomfortable..

the only good thing they've got going for them is you can release the doors halfway up the train.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TC, you are right, I hate everything that runs with SWT. I forgot to include that. There's more hated stuff, but to make a list would take until The Second Coming, hence my omission to add it all. Plus I was rushing the post out a bit.

Put simply, the only things I like are the following, the rest has either a dislike status (ie, I'll put up with them if I have to, or whether avoiding them means missing a diversion over a rare line) or a hated status (ie, avoid at all costs, unless there is nothing else on the route (eg, the Alton route only gets 450s now it seems, but I need to FC the route, so I'll do it then)):

HSTs
158s
323s

That's all I like. Everything else has some negative thing about it. I will say I found plenty of legroom on the airline seats on the 390s mind, and the at-seat radio things worked for the vast majority of the time, essential for a long trip on a 390 (Crewe to Carlisle having taken around 2 hours and 20 minutes when I did it).

Sprinter, if you like 66s, try putting up with someone repeating that noise on their cam several times when you're extremely tired. Trust me, the ying-ying noise gets very irritable. So much so I was glad I wasn't going on that unit to NCL with the rest of the group...

ChrisM

Well we all have different tastes and i'm probably not going to be popular but i hate the Wessex Electrics 442s.
Outdated,doors open to slow and are to narrow,seats not comfortable and they seem to brake down more often then any other unit.
Also hate steam engines and class 47s.

jonb

Established Member
RE 357/2's

Also the 357/2's are most often used on the Southend stopping services via Chafford Hundred & Ockenden and also on the Grays shuttles through Dagenham.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ChrisM said:
Well we all have different tastes and i'm probably not going to be popular but i hate the Wessex Electrics 442s.
Outdated,doors open to slow and are to narrow,seats not comfortable and they seem to brake down more often then any other unit.

You're popular here. I don't like 442s either. But I don't mind steam locos and 47s, they're OK.

AlexS

Established Member
Re the 170s, opening the doors half way up the train, hardly a redeeming feature!" You can do that on the 158s (and possibly the 156s too).

But then, 170s and 158s are a treat here.

i hate 150s.

I dont mind much else.

Jim

Established Member
ChrisM said:

You aren't popular here, but I agree on the slow doors ;) 47s are ok, & me, like quite a few people hate Kettles :lol:

334's Junipers

Scotrail should have kept the 303s in service (I wish) They are absouletly terrible, they are uncomfterable, unreliable and a bloody nusince

I hate all slammers. They are drafty and they have no character to them at all. I live by the railway line and I could always hear one as it passed. Then 377s and 375s go past and you don't even hear them. Thumpers were worse! Not only did you get draft, but exhaust fumes as well! Now that they are all scrapped, life is so much better. Next thing I wish would be scrapped are 37s and 47s. Way too much smoke and noise and no power. Now where did my oxy-torch go...?

joy54.gen

I live next to the railway line as well, I could always recognise a slammer, but the 377s are worse, once accelerated maybe they are quiet but they have a terrible whining noise when accelerating and as my line has quite a few line speed changes these make the 377s worse than the slammers.

Julian G

Established Member
joy54.gen said:
I live next to the railway line as well, I could always recognise a slammer, but the 377s are worse, once accelerated maybe they are quiet but they have a terrible whining noise when accelerating and as my line has quite a few line speed changes these make the 377s worse than the slammers.
anyone for headphones ;)
of course them 'Whiners'
They caused enough trouble already! :x

metrocammel

Ive noticed the horrible whining sound on modern DC units, which isn't heard at all on the slammers.

Apparently also the slammers were better for keeping tracks "safe", as they had poorer suspension, so "grinded" the track a bit as they passed over, which reduces the chance of guage corner cracking, but the modern units dont grind the track at all, so track grinding machines will have to be used more often to prevent the rails from cracking, so if your ever on a modern unit and it derails due to a guage corner crack, blame the SRA for imposing the "slammer" ban.

T

Tom

The whining on Desiro's uses the same traction package as a Northern Line 95TS. The squeak is from an IGBT traction package.

Jim

Established Member
Watcher In The Rye said:
whining is just a feature of AC traction motors. like the F1-style sounds from the networkers (cl365/465/466 and 96ts)

Change gear :lol:

T

Tom

Watcher In The Rye said:
whining is just a feature of AC traction motors. like the F1-style sounds from the networkers (cl365/465/466 and 96ts)

Using the GTO traction package. :mrgreen:

Rob

I'd say 170s. They're not a particularly bad train, it's more that they're not really suitable for the services they operate. The same goes for the 220/221s.

steve158

AlexS said:
Re the 170s, opening the doors half way up the train, hardly a redeeming feature!" You can do that on the 158s (and possibly the 156s too).

But then, 170s and 158s are a treat here.

i hate 150s.

I dont mind much else.

you can't on the 156s which is the one thing what lets them down.

AJP

170's and 156's IMO are very comfertable for units. I also dont ind 158's to travel on but they are boring looking.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Watcher In The Rye said:
I hate all slammers. They are drafty and they have no character to them at all. I live by the railway line and I could always hear one as it passed. Then 377s and 375s go past and you don't even hear them. Thumpers were worse! Not only did you get draft, but exhaust fumes as well! Now that they are all scrapped, life is so much better. Next thing I wish would be scrapped are 37s and 47s. Way too much smoke and noise and no power. Now where did my oxy-torch go...?

Several crimes committed there. Even I, the resident slammer hater, finds slammers to have some degree of character. Getting the exhaust fumes in from the Thumpers, that'll do me!

No power from 37s? Have you experienced one? No, REALLY experienced one? You can't have! There's no-one I know that dislikes 37s! I didn't like them to begin with, but after some major riding behind them (and actually finding out what they were in early 2004!), there's nothing better than them apart from the HSTs this way. 47s aren't quite so much fun, but then 47810 along the North Wales Coast in July 2004, that take-off from Colwyn Bay was enough to change my opinion! And heart-of-wessex just happened not to be by the window to experience it...lol. I'll ensure I sample the 47s from HFD tomorrow if I can! 47/8 down from Hereford to Newport, mmm. Must get times actually...

Just you wait, in a few years time, you'll be glad to see the new EMUs be sent off behind 66s to places like Caerwent! You'll see, you'll all see! And there I shall be, to remind you of your Electrostar liking...Still, there's got to be someone who likes them...

Nick

AJP said:
170's and 156's IMO are very comfertable for units. I also dont ind 158's to travel on but they are boring looking.

Oh yes a 156...have to love the sound of that revving out of a station... :D

Sprinter

Nick said:
AJP said:

Oh yes a 156...have to love the sound of that revving out of a station... :D

Hey, another Sprinter lover!! I also love the sound of a Sprinter pulling away, especially the way some North London Line (and CT) drivers thrash them! Even though I live about 400-500m from a station I can still hear them roar off into the distance.

FGWFan: 66s on idle mode do get on your nerves after a while but even though I said I like sheds, I do not rate them as highly as a class 31, 37 or 43.

RJ

Established Member
Least favourite DMU : 150 - Extremely boring!
Favourite DMU : 171 - Sound cool, look cool and have a great interior! 220-222 - Same reasons, I rarely encounter them overcrowded.

Least Favourite EMU : One 315s - I can't stand that awful recurring noice they make when idle. SET 508 - Ever seen a 6 coach one? Worst idea ever!

Favouite EMU : SET 465/0/1 - Unique sounds, bouncy!

Least Favourite Locos : 20s - Ugly and sound weak. 59s/66s - I don't like the peculiar bit of shell over the hanging front. 67s - Ugly.

Favourite Locos : 37 - Saw them top and tail, both active, sounded great! 60s - They're alright.

I find AC locos a bit boring. Electric units are just there. I don't have any reason to dislike the locals (319, 377, 455, 456).

My favourite loco scene was when 60001+66002+wagons went through East Croydon. Or when I saw a 60 covered in dense clag some place on the ECML whilst on the Cambridge Cruiser.

jdjonnay

AlexS said:
Well, 37s are a little wet compared to a lot of other types of locomotive though!

And the 47s are just wrecked by now.

Yeh, I guess those major overhauls that they had didn't really do anything, because after all they don't have pointy fronts or ghay purple paint jobs like an HST, so must be cr*p.

Of course they're not wrecked, that's what maintainence is like, and as much as people may whinge about "there was rubbish on the floor of my favorite 365, OMG, they can't be maintaining the engines WTF?", the work does get done.

J.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Well, I dislike 47/7s (scottish rejects <( ) for replacing my 50s on waterloo to exeters in the 1990s <( <( <(

Donno bout anything else!!!!!

Sprog

Established Member
50149 said:
Well, I dislike 47/7s (scottish rejects <( ) for replacing my 50s on waterloo to exeters in the 1990s <( <( <(

Donno bout anything else!!!!!

165102!!!!!

iidy1kmbinoresize1nostamp1quality70.jpg

muwhahahahahaha <D <D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.