Most historic station

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Charlie2555, 14 Jan 2020.

1. markindurham

markindurham Member

Quite so. Have you seen the marvellous model railway called "Worlds End" which attempts (and, to my mind, succeeds) to capture the scene there? The signal box, viaduct, gardens, river - it's all there :)

2. vlad

vlad Member

Longport is definitely down-at-heel!

It's got the original 19th-century NSR buildings, now boarded up and in a state of picturesque dereliction....

The OHLE is getting on a bit now too.

3. Requeststop

Requeststop Member

Yes St Erth has had a few new additions to it but to my mind they have been very well done. Truro has had the Sleeper lounge added but is otherwise unchanged. Penzance has been fiddled about with for too long though since the early eighties. The ticket office was, unfortunately, totally in the wrong place at the top of the stairs and placed at the travel centre. Now there is no coffeeshop, and I noticed yesterday, that the old left luggage office was having floors re-concreted and there seemed to be a set of lockers all wrapped up and waiting placement somewhere on the station on Platform three. I still like the fact that there are no barriers at Penzance, and I was delighted to board the 16:50 to Cardiff Central on Platform 4 and as we departed to see the delayed 2C28 ex Exeter St Davids arrive and it was a HST! Did my heart good to see that.

Of all the stations in Cornwall unchanged as far as my memory is concerned, Liskeard, Lostwithiel, and Redruth are the ones that spring to mind.

4. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

I don't think I've ever visited Pluckley station - though I've thundered through it a fair few times (not behind myself or William Shakespeare, alas, but with electric haulage). If I get the chance, now I've read your post, I shall have to get down to have a good look at it sometime. My parents lived about 200 yeards away from about 1934 and during WW2, their garden backed onto the line, and my dad would tell tales of having a cuppa in the signal box at night with the local bobby, and watching the Night Ferry storm through with two Schools in charge. (This may have been something of a myth, I suspect it was more like an L1 and a King Arthur, but that's what he used to say the signalman had told him.)

5. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

The old signal box is no more, alas.

I remember walking along the platform while CEP's were storming past.

6. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

I'd say that such a large thing that has a significantly different aesthetic to the rest of the station goes past describing Perth as almost unchanged. In the same way that lopping the roof off would change 1 thing but make quite an impact.

7. pappleby

pappleby Member

Tysley, Worksop.

8. urbophile

urbophile Member

Hammersmith H&C station (over the road from the District/Piccadilly lines). It has been compared (I can't think who by) to a small country town's branch-line terminus. You can still imagine milk churns being delivered there, despite it being one of the busiest stations on the London Underground.

9. simple simon

simple simon Member

Barkingside, Ruislip, Barons Court and North Ealing come to mind as some of the more noteworthy examples - all are London Underground and have modern lighting but retain original station buildings from the steam train (ie: Victorian / Edwardian) era. Much nicer than most of the more modern stations!

10. MPotter

MPotter On Moderation

I'd say Wymondham should be one of those stations. It has a lot of preserved signage and interesting stuff, despite being only two platforms, and unstaffed.

11. urbophile

urbophile Member

Nevertheless, unless by 'historic' you mean dating from the earliest days of the railways, the 1930s modernist stations on LU by Charles Holden and others surely qualify. They are classics of design. Uxbridge, Sudbury Town, Arnos Grove... The Wirral Line of Merseyrail has several more modest examples of the same style, in particular Hoylake.

12. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Chesham station is Grade II listed, as a 19th C Metropolitan Railway building in relatively original condition

13. marks87

marks87 Established Member

Dumfries.

Broughty Ferry also retains most of its charm, although the glass-fronted office space that appeared post-refurbishment spoils it somewhat. At least the old signal box is back, though.

14. Essan

Essan Member

Glenfinnan would definitely be one. And it does still have scheduled steam trains running through!