• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most inappropriate bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

The excels here were great until they just stopped maintaining them properly. It's only been in recent years that they've become well, awful to be honest. They were under capacity though, and therefore I'd say the shortest excels used on the Wolverhampton 503/W route (now withdrawn, replaced a couple of weeks ago with brand new long buses). A very busy route that only ran every 12 minutes, going through Oxley (which, without meaning to sound too discriminating, is full of a particular type of people and hence has a LOT of pushchairs heading from there to town). Pushchairs were BANNED from these buses because of the lack of room (even though there was a pushchair space); they had to be folded with some scribbled signs saying so. Anyway, couple that with the fact that a couple of regular wheelchair users also use the route, and it was pretty dreadful, and like that for a couple of years.

I dunno why. We started off with brand new buses on the route in 1999 - the longest type of Optare Excel with the new style of bus seats that were actually comfortable. But as time went on they were withdrawn from the route and replaced with the tinier and older Excels with the old style seats, severely reducing capacity on the route.

Eventually of course they stopped the 503/W going into the bus station and lengthened it's route so people stopped using it, allowing them to introduce a 15 minute timetable and turn it into the cross city 3 service. At least they introduced brand new buses (centros I think?).

But it won't be long before those "new" buses become the new "old" buses, given what happened to the Excels over the years.

A couple of times they even substituted a couple of solos on the route when the excels broke down - that was painful to see. Always left people behind at the stops.

I mean there are also severe cases where the buses used were so inappropriate that people just stopped using the service (and so became appropriate):

NX:WM used to run the 544 and 545 services from Wolverhampton to Bilston to Dudley; these services were withdrawn, replaced with Banga buses. The difference was massive - went from a.. a... one of these http://www.staffordbuscentre.com/images/N612-TEES-VALLEY-(1).jpg to one of these http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5575553610_51a86a0a10.jpg

People just stopped using it.

...and used the 530 instead, which, in exactly the same way, was withdrawn by NX:WM and given to Banga buses...

... so people used the 526 instead. Which used the aforementioned tiny excels.

Sorry for giving a brief history of buses it seems, but hey, it's interesting how they instantly killed Wolverhampton to Bilston bus travel. (Of course it's a moot point because everyone who needs to now uses the Metro, if they can.)

Still, I think the withdrawal of big buses to become banga buses is, even if ultimately acceptable due to people moving to other modes, still inappropriate.

Poor residents of The Lunt, stuck with these monstrocities.

/wall of text

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Its got to be Trent Bartons Transpeak Optare Excels on a run from Nottingham to Mancester via Matlock etc etc

And some nutters go the whole way on it must be back breaking !:lol:

The First X53 - 5.5hours IIRC on a bus seated Gemini

Schnellzug

Established Member
The First X53 - 5.5hours IIRC on a bus seated Gemini

I don't know, probably the main purpose of that is sightseeing, and the Geminis are certainly better padded than the Scanias before them (which are now usually on the 31, mentioned above). What it could really do with is increasing to hourly, between Weymouth & Exeter at any rate. I think Stephen Morris in Buses was about the only person who's ever taken it throughout between Bournemouth and Exeter.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I usually get at least one caller a day wanting to do the whole thing. Sometimes they want to do there and back in a day!

anthony263

Established Member
I will have to have a go doing the X53 Between Exeter & Bournemouth. I certainly wouldnt mind spening 5 hours or so on a bus, I have done Aberdare - Porthcawl on service 172 a journye time of 2 hours 5 minutes witha 20 minute break atPorthcawl before returning to Aberdare.

I have also done service X4 Cardiff - Pontypridd - Merthyr Tydfil - Ebbw Vale - Abergavenny - Hereford a very long route if you do the full trip and there are ony 5 buses per day in each direction running the full length to Hereford. (Luckily the buses have good seats and have free wi-fi)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ooo must bash this!
Sounds fun! Is it costly to go all the way? Seams like maybe not if somebody does actually enquire regularly about it!

I think it was about £6.00 for a return when i saw a leaflet for it in Weymouth when i travelled own there about 3 years ago on the 09:10
Bristol - Weymouth on what was supposed to be the final loco hauled train to Weymouth.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think it was about £6.00 for a return when i saw a leaflet for it in Weymouth when i travelled own there about 3 years ago on the 09:10
Bristol - Weymouth on what was supposed to be the final loco hauled train to Weymouth.
You can use a First Explorer or whatever they currently call them, which i think is £6.00/6.50 or thereabouts.

Zamracene749

£7.00 at the moment, good value for what surely ranks in the UK's top 3 scenic bus rides.
Did it from Wool to Exeter last year as part of a mammoth trip Bovington to Barnstaple, the views are good enough to take your mind off your numbed posterior!

Getting back on topic, the Temsa Avenues used by Arriva up here on Teesside are deeply uncomfortable for anything more than 15 minutes or so due to being fitted with the hardest moulded plastic seats known to man- yet they are used on 1hour plus interurban express services X3/4.

You can use a First Explorer or whatever they currently call them, which i think is £6.00/6.50 or thereabouts.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I assume passes are valid on the X53? I might have to give it a go, right through! :lol:

Also, are they valid on the route from Nottingham to Manchester run by Trent Barton (I believe)? It is a "local" bus, is it not?

This is giving me an idea for a charity event...

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was attempting to think of something to contribute to this, as despite their problems my main local operator Stagecoach East Midlands seem good a providing appropriate buses around here - the only exceptions being the misguided purchase of two 27 seater Optare Solos a few years back.

These were intended for the new 46 route, which has now been substantially altered in council cutbacks. The buses had to be taken off the route long before that due to capacity issues - they then moved to Lincoln (while our Solos were being converted to bio-methane powered vehicles) where they were put out on any service. Even on usually quiet routes they would be full and standing.

They've now been sent off to Newark where their capacity is about right (they share the town services with 29 seat Dart MPDs) - though they still escape to Lincoln occasionally, with Newark being just an outstation.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
solos - useless for anything accept the quietest country routes!

So true. In Lincoln we have some 37 seaters which are used on certain routes in the uphill area, they can get very full at times. As I said in my earlier post, they've been converted to run on bio-methane, as they had compatible Cummins engines (not usual in the Stagecoach fleet).

They look a little odd now though;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44891124@N08/5797204077/

anthony263

Established Member
solos - useless for anything accept the quietest country routes!

Not really I have done service 172 Aberdare - Porthcawl with a Optare solo a journey of 2 hours 5 minutes each way.

The solo was much better than the low floor darts we have at least it got up Maerdy mountain at a good speed unlike some of the darts which really struggle.

Still I do much prefer the Volvo B10m's we have until they go in march well apart from 1 which I am intending to buy providing I have the funds.

Badger

The solos work perfectly for WM company Midland. Just the right capacity.

In fact (yes, mentioning them again, sorry) solos would be a perfect replacement for the Banga fleet.

starrymarkb

Established Member
or to replace Minibuses on high frequency routes, like Stagecoach did in Exeter and W&D in Poole/Bournemouth.

The Exeter Solos with Stagecoach were also the first batch of Slimlines, even now there are still routes that can't take bigger then a Solo (E/F)

Cooks took the first batch of XLWB's for the Park and Ride the same year

Badger

My nomination is a Optare Spectra Of National Express WM being replaced by a Volvo B6 on a Wolverhampton - Merry Hill route

Wolverhampton to Merry Hill is a joke to be frank. It's been messed around so much (with the 254/255's slightly different routes, the 255E, the 81, 583 and 283, etc) I don't even know what the timetables are. In fact it's often faster to get a 126, 1 or 558 into Dudley and catch the X96 from there which is what I've been doing instead.

Which leads me to a wholly inappropriate bus, and that's the X96, the dudley to merry hill express service. It always passes stops where people are waiting because it's a medium sized single decker and gets way too full. Considering it only runs every 20 minutes too, it's a bit daft.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Back in the late 80s, when minis and midis were unavoidable and fashionable, the 2 inner London routes 28 and 31 were possibly their most inappropriate recipients, in place of routemasters. And while the minis kept growing (and wearing out), it was a good 15 years before they (and the spun-off 328) again got the deckers they obviously need.

gnolife

Established Member
One that I had on Thursday was an Enviro400 (double decker) running route 390 (Stockport to Bramhall via Offerton, Stepping Hill, Torkington, Poynton and Woodford). I was the only person on for the entire 50 min trip (according to timetable, it actually took closer to 90 due to roadworks in Poynton)

Ivo

Established Member
Fully agree with Schnellzug regarding Solos. But let's not have another argument about whether they are good or otherwise; we had that before.

For blindtraveler, my idea for a charity thing is one I've had before but never given much consideration to. The idea is to go to every major destination in england using an ENCTS pass. It would take a while, and I'm not too sure about what the councils would think of it, but it's certainly an interesting thought.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Wolverhampton to Merry Hill is a joke to be frank. It's been messed around so much (with the 254/255's slightly different routes, the 255E, the 81, 583 and 283, etc) I don't even know what the timetables are. In fact it's often faster to get a 126, 1 or 558 into Dudley and catch the X96 from there which is what I've been doing instead.

Which leads me to a wholly inappropriate bus, and that's the X96, the dudley to merry hill express service. It always passes stops where people are waiting because it's a medium sized single decker and gets way too full. Considering it only runs every 20 minutes too, it's a bit daft.

The X96 seems to be having a spate of Volvo B6LEs recently with new crappy timetable it has extended into Wrens Nest!

It's getting that bad that sometimes it is more sensible to catch a 246 to Brierley hill and change there to something.

It don't seem long ago since WN put a metrobus on the 246 either running 30 seconds behind a merc o405n!!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think Stephen Morris in Buses was about the only person who's ever taken it throughout between Bournemouth and Exeter.

+1

Done the whole route only once Exeter - Bournemouth Castlepoint on the 1245. Did Exeter - Poole (in that direction only) many times though, as that used to be part of my itinerary on a match day. I would leave on the first through journey at 0845 from Exeter, which got me into Poole at 1315. Very roughly clocked it once at 95 miles. After the match I would get the 1820(?) Swanage bus (142) to Wareham, then SWT to Dorchester South (saving £1.50 compared to catching it from Poole), connecting with the last through journey on the 31, the 1905 to Axminster, finally onto the 2111 SWT from there back to Exeter.

Only did the X53 in the opposite direction once, and it was never intended so. That day I got to Poole as usual. Got to the ground (Dean Court) half an hour before kick-off. It just so happened that my mate was on holiday that day. Just before I got to the front of the ticket office queue, I realised that I forgot my wallet at home back in Exeter. Only had £2 and loose coppers with me. Walsall obviously proved to be not so much a worthy opponent that I decided to turn back (the game ended 0-0 so didn't really miss much). Got back to Poole just in time to catch the last through journey at 1620, which eventually got me back to Exeter at 2035. Well worth the £5 Explorer ticket I paid for that day.

I assume passes are valid on the X53? I might have to give it a go, right through! :lol:

Yes it is.

The Exeter Solos with Stagecoach were also the first batch of Slimlines, even now there are still routes that can't take bigger then a Solo (E/F)

Have they replaced the Solos on the Alphington runs yet? They were way too small when when I lived there considering how popular a route it was.

londonbridge

Established Member
Some years back London Transport (as it still was then) tried running bus route 154 as a single decker hoppa bus on Sundays,most of the buses during shopping hours were jammed full and standing,didn't last long before they went back to double deckers.

starrymarkb

Established Member
+1
Have they replaced the Solos on the Alphington runs yet? They were way too small when when I lived there considering how popular a route it was.

Went over to Darts in 2006 and E200Darts in March this year. Most of the Solos have gone to Torbay and to the former Cooks to replace MB Minis

Schnellzug

Established Member
Back in the late 80s, when minis and midis were unavoidable and fashionable, the 2 inner London routes 28 and 31 were possibly their most inappropriate recipients, in place of routemasters. And while the minis kept growing (and wearing out), it was a good 15 years before they (and the spun-off 328) again got the deckers they obviously need.

yes, but the DW's may only have seated about 28, but they were quite fun; and that's one of the most important things, as we all know. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.