• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most inappropriate bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
The enormous six-wheeled coaches used on relatively small roads around Buchan. Is there nowhere in the world that makes a country bus these days? Something a bit narrower, definitely lower, but still seating the same number of people (although there it might need to be a double-decker).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
are you refering to some of the stagecoach bluebird bit of local, bit of long distance, generally not quite sure of its main purpose in life services between Aberdeen and the Shire?
If so I know what you mean but at the same time can sort of see why there using them on those runs

LE Greys

Established Member
are you refering to some of the stagecoach bluebird bit of local, bit of long distance, generally not quite sure of its main purpose in life services between Aberdeen and the Shire?
If so I know what you mean but at the same time can sort of see why there using them on those runs

Precisely. I notice that most of them are now six-wheelers, with some double-deck six-wheelers that look like refugees from Megabus. The climb to get into the single-deckers must be a real problem for people who need level-access. I can see the point of such large vehicles to a certain extent, especially for the section up the A90, but trying to fit them through country roads must be a nightmare. Still, with the distinct lack of country bus designs, I don't think there's any alternative.

By the way, Clot of the Week award to the First driver who took his double-decker down a tiny road into a car park at Aberdeen Uni on Sunday. He turned left before the traffic lights on St Machar Drive instead of after, and nearly ended up going under the extremely low arches between the two halves of the Taylor Building. A very surprising sight for someone going off to do a bit of revision in the computer room near by.

Phil6219

By the way, Clot of the Week award to the First driver who took his double-decker down a tiny road into a car park at Aberdeen Uni on Sunday. He turned left before the traffic lights on St Machar Drive instead of after, and nearly ended up going under the extremely low arches between the two halves of the Taylor Building. A very surprising sight for someone going off to do a bit of revision in the computer room near by.

Had something similar a few years back, an incident causes a diversion in the centre of Manchester, the signs go up and our bus gets caught in it before control can radio the details to the driver. Driver misinterprets one of the signs and sends us down a dead end side street with very narrow side streets coming off. I could hear him shout "oh sugar" (word substitution there) from the back of the bus. No problem though, just grabbed my hi-viz out of my rucksack check he is ok and guide him in a rather eloquent 8 point turn, for the record I was (and am again now) a qualified banksman. Two-ish years later the same bloomin thing happened again this time coming off behind Great Northern on the wrong side of the GMex Tram arches...

As for innapropriate, I'm really not going to voice my opinion on buses (thanks again to yet another failure to run last week). On the plus side I got a ride on a BD11 plate bus (I would have thought a Wright Eclipse 2) which was quite nice if not ruined because of some passenger induced damage inside. Though it does look like it had a lot less seats than usual to make space for the wheelchair and pram areas.

Phil 8-)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Precisely. I notice that most of them are now six-wheelers, with some double-deck six-wheelers that look like refugees from Megabus. The climb to get into the single-deckers must be a real problem for people who need level-access. I can see the point of such large vehicles to a certain extent, especially for the section up the A90, but trying to fit them through country roads must be a nightmare. Still, with the distinct lack of country bus designs, I don't think there's any alternative.

are First Aberdeen - always good for some bus related light entertainment :)
As to the country bus runs, its my understanding that bus patronage has rocketed through the roof lately in the area and not just amongst pass holders making things like the opta solo useless capacity wise, not to mention the fact they dont like hills appart from the new SR. They I think use darts on quite a few runs but as dubble deck opperation is unsutable other than for park and ride work I think the Plaxton Panthers now doing the likes of Peterhead and Inverness were the best they could do and as they were using a motly collection of aging interurbans before with no means of taking wheelchairs the locals most likely see them as an improvement!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh and phil, I bet the driver could have just about kissed you when you helped him turn :) remember a similar incident when a rail replacement got itself into a muddle at settle and a trucky who was passing had to assist! Great fun on a Sunday morning!

Statto

Established Member
Fully agree with Schnellzug regarding Solos. But let's not have another argument about whether they are good or otherwise; we had that before.

For blindtraveler, my idea for a charity thing is one I've had before but never given much consideration to. The idea is to go to every major destination in england using an ENCTS pass. It would take a while, and I'm not too sure about what the councils would think of it, but it's certainly an interesting thought.

Very good idea, Lands End to Berwick, using long bus routes like the X53 ecc.

Until recently the 79 Liverpool-Netherley used single deckers which were very inadequate for a busy route, even if it is every few minutes, but got upgraded to Deckers a few weeks ago. Single decker Cadets on 79C Liverpool-Runcorn can get full in the Halton area. The main problem is, it uses the Runcorn Busway which has low bridges so Deckers are too tall.

Artics on 501 Liverpool South Parkway-Airport, a route that could acommidate Solos & there'd still be plenty of seats.

Optare solo's and short-wheelbase dennis dart's on first west yorkshire service 589 from Burnley-Todmorden-Rochdale.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
A local coach company used to do some local services as well but they only had about two actual buses at the time, so it was quite common to see 57-seater coaches (albeit not anywhere near top-of-the-range ones) doing local bus services, including South Molton to Barnstaple via Brayford and Goodleigh, where it had to navigate very narrow roads and this little bit here where it had to run up to High Bray, turn around, come back down, head back east and turn around again before heading back towards Brayford.

(By the way, just in case you read this out loud, you pronounce Brayford with 'ford' rather than 'fud')

The only other cases I can think of are the times when, for whatever reason, a route that usually gets a double-decker that is full and standing has been given a Solo...

Statto

Established Member
I do remember late 90s before there rebranding, Travel West Midlands using Plaxton Coaches withdrawn from National Express work, on the 192/194 Solihull-Coventry.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
swap the artics on the airports and the
other route you mention around?

Good idea, but i'm not sure if the Artics can take some of the tight corners in Runcorn, plus the 501 pvr is 3, the 79C pvr is about 10, although extra extra Artics are comming for the 500[only 3 needed]

Pumbaa

Established Member
Very good idea, Lands End to Berwick, using long bus routes like the X53 ecc.

Until recently the 79 Liverpool-Netherley used single deckers which were very inadequate for a busy route, even if it is every few minutes, but got upgraded to Deckers a few weeks ago. Single decker Cadets on 79C Liverpool-Runcorn can get full in the Halton area. The main problem is, it uses the Runcorn Busway which has low bridges so Deckers are too tall.

Artics on 501 Liverpool South Parkway-Airport, a route that could acommidate Solos & there'd still be plenty of seats.

Yes - I've never understood why the 79C has cadets and not the slightly bigger commanders. Odd.

And the 79 isn't full double-decker operation, only full at night. As Arriva now run less 86/82 with Stagecoach getting a more even share, they've got extra 05 reg double deckers from there to enhance 74/75/80 and 79/82.

There's been an artic doing a 500 run over the weekend, don't know how common that is. I just wish they'd get used more, the odd-peak working on an 80 (ie the 0810 past Penny Lane) would do wonders :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.