• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Interesting Station in Southeast Wales Area

Most Interesting Station in Southeast Wales Area

• Gloucester

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Chepstow

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Cardiff Central

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Severn Tunnel Junction

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_pilborough

Looks like I'm going to have a free Sunday on the West side of the Severn Estuary pretty soon.
Since I don't have much idea of the Train services in that location, which station would be most interesting to go to, variety of Rolling-stock wise?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Depends, I'm pushed between Cardiff Ctrl & Newport (S Wales).

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Cardiff is good, although you're too late to see the Class 50 hauled services and the Class 37 hauled services only run during the week. Still you've got a very good varierty, with FGW HSTs, "Wessex" 158s, ATW Pacers, 150s 153s and 158s, Central 158s and 170s, plus 60s and 66s on Freight. Wizz around the corner to Queen Street and you've got the 121 on the bay shuttle (if it's working yet, if not a 153). Don't really know Newport well, since I've only got off a train once, and that was to change from a FGW HST to the following Central 170. Cardiff seems the nicer of the stations though, and I think is a nicer place overall.

Mintona

Established Member
I chose Gloucester, coz I spend half my life there and it still never gets boring. Always something new in the Cotswold Rail bays!

Respite

Go to Cardiff,walk down towards Canton depot(road opposite telford way or similar) & try & get on the footbridge (its normally locked only on far side but not always ).
P1010017.jpg

From there its EWS coal,steel & oil trains,FGW HST's.Arriva trains wales 142,143,150,153,158 & 175's,Central 170's on turnbacks in the brickyard sidings.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Newport is boring... I live there I know lol! I go to Cardiff and take a walk down to Canton personally

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Out of those options, I'd go for Cardiff. Severn Tunnel Junction has its moments, but Cardiff is better really on Sundays. Mind, it's still pretty quiet, but it's not too bad. HSTs only go as far as Bridgend this Sunday (a rare thing that, usually terminate at Cardiff!), due to resignalling on the South Wales Main Line shutting it down every single Sunday for so many months I nearly fall to the floor following a fainting when the line opens to passenger traffic on Sundays!

Don't forget that Arriva haven't heard of anything near a reasonable service on Sundays, so double-check train times, and if you leave in the late afternoon or early evening, please do expect heavy loadings. It is one thing Arriva fail to do that, put the right amount of rolling stock out for a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.