• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most-loved English classic narrow-gauge line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Cliff Railway and the old L&B station were on opposite sides of Lynton. I've walked down from Lynton to Lynmouth (never walked the opposite direction; I'm not that silly) and it takes less time than it does to walk out to the old L&B station.

Although the Cliff Railway has a gradient of 1 in 1 (well it feels like it - someone will be along soon to give the actual gradient to two decimal places), the upper terminus at Lynton is by no means at the hilltop, once you walk through the couple of central streets it's still a long uphill plod to the old L&B site, which is why the railway never managed to make it closer to the town.

Bear in mind that the previous L&B station, Woody Bay, was the highest in southern England at nearly 1,000 feet, the L&B just wasn't able to make the complete drop down to Lynton town. The fact that Woody Bay was named after a hamlet down on the seashore when it had this highest elevation gives you some idea of how the L&B stations missed their targets !

Thanks. As they like to say on another board which I frequent, "ignorance fought". Hmm -- much though one may love narrow-gauge railways, one pretty well has to admit that very many n/g lines' no longer being with us, is for somewhat valid reasons :( .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

R4_GRN

Sorry to be so ignorant what effect would throwing water onto the fire and opening the regulator have?

Calthrop

Established Member
Assuming that the question is serious: as I understand it, throwing water (or something less wholesome) into the firebox, while suddenly opening the regulator; causes a suddenly increased draught in the smokebox, which quickly drags a mixture of "wet stuff" and coal / soot gunk through, and sends it out of the chimney. In the confined situation of a tunnel, as in the story, the mixture splatters the vehicles following -- including occupants in an exposed position, such as the balcony of a coach.

DerekC

Established Member
Thanks. As they like to say on another board which I frequent, "ignorance fought". Hmm -- much though one may love narrow-gauge railways, one pretty well has to admit that very many n/g lines' no longer being with us, is for somewhat valid reasons :( .

Doesn't alter the fact that had the L&B survived, it would have been a great tourist attraction now.

R4_GRN

Thanks Calthorp for answer, yes I was serious, I thought a bucket of water would be evaporated by the heat in the firebox so would not have any effect. I did guess from the post that it does have a detrimental affect but was unsure of how large that effect would be.

Veteran Member
Assuming that the question is serious: as I understand it, throwing water (or something less wholesome) into the firebox, while suddenly opening the regulator; causes a suddenly increased draught in the smokebox, which quickly drags a mixture of "wet stuff" and coal / soot gunk through, and sends it out of the chimney. In the confined situation of a tunnel, as in the story, the mixture splatters the vehicles following -- including occupants in an exposed position, such as the balcony of a coach.

Did not Henry the Green Engine once do something similar to youths dropping stones from a bridge?

Calthrop

Established Member
Hmm -- much though one may love narrow-gauge railways, one pretty well has to admit that very many n/g lines' no longer being with us, is for somewhat valid reasons :( .

Doesn't alter the fact that had the L&B survived, it would have been a great tourist attraction now.

For sure; and if that had, against the odds, happened -- with the L & B in its entirety, surviving throughout -- I'd find that a reason for rejoicing. Nonetheless, I can't help feeling a bit wistful for the times now departed, when railways' to me most engaging features, were basically about commerce, and providing service which people needed (incidentally, giving delight to gricers); whereas nowadays such features are pretty much all on the "entertainment" scene -- not to be despised, but for such as me, not the same.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did not Henry the Green Engine once do something similar to youths dropping stones from a bridge?

With the author being a clergyman -- various stuff from Holy Writ, no doubt applicable to the situation: my biblical knowledge is poor, but "sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind", dimly comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.