• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Ludicrous Attempted Closure Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Reopening Blackpool South to Central, even if just as a single line and single platform, really ought to be a priority

I'm surprised this has never been more of a priority. Should be a pretty cheap and easy re-opening, and much more convenient for Blackpool than south, which essential serves a very specific part of Blackpool - South Shore.

Having said that, South still manages to offer a more pleasant and welcoming travel experience than North!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Furrball

Not a bad idea, seeing how crowded the W&C line gets at rush hour. Perhaps there could be some tip-up seats that could be used at off-peak times.
Just need to find somewhere to put all the equipment that is under the seats....

Deepgreen

Established Member
It'd clearly be possible, you just need more buses. However, it's a stupid idea.
Weeell, don't knock it - all you'd need would be enough buses to move the numbers carried by railway. Then it might make sense to join a number, say eight or twelve, together to save space and improve safety, which could then further be improved by having the vehicles run on some sort of railed system to avoid crashes...hang on a moment!

Gloster

Established Member
Nah, that will be where the city folk will polish their shoes!!

View attachment 92121
(Image shows shoe shine machine as found in hotels etc)
Off subject, but I have long wondered why these machines have two wheels/brushes. If you have one foot under a brush you need the other to stand on, although I suppose you could pull up a chair. Why not have just one brush and move a few inches to one side when you want the second shoe polished?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Looking at the Beeching report and maps, Poulton to Blackpool North would close, but the direct line from Kirkham to Central would stay open. The line to Fleetwood would stay open, but (seemingly) only as far as Wyre Dock.

Isn't the story that Blackpool Council preferred the Central Station site for car parking, hence why North ended up surviving instead?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Isn't the story that Blackpool Council preferred the Central Station site for car parking, hence why North ended up surviving instead?
Of the original three routes, the North (Poulton) and South (Lytham) routes served intermediate stations and the former also the Fleetwood branch. The Central (Marton) route had no intermediate stations so was only ever about providing extra capacity into Blackpool. So when that capacity was no longer needed it made sense to close that one, and I'd guess Beeching's preference was based on some spurious analysis (such as the line with no stations having less costs - please note this is speculation on my part). So this was probably the best outcome for rail passengers, although some ended up a bit further from their destinations in Blackpool. I agree it would have been desirable to retain the short extension from South and a much slimmed-down Central though.

From the council's point of view they wanted to provide for tourists arriving by car, which was done by converting Central station and final approaches to parking and the line that served it into a motorway continuing into the town as a grade-separated highway (it now seems to be unclassified). They couldn't really have done this with North, as the railway was still needed as far as Poulton at the time to connect to the Fleetwood branch.

tbwbear

It is a story that will run and run I think. I always thought it was the council's idea to use it for development (who owned it?- did BR just sell it to the council cheap in 1964?) The buidling was used for bingo for a while (my grandmother used to go !), wasn't Coral Island built on a small part of the site in the 70s ? My memory is a little hazy. I know most of it ended up as car park as did all of the station approach land.

The interesting bit for me is the decision to keep South as the main station for London and Manchester until 1970. In a 1970 issue of Modern Railways the main reason for the final decision to switch to North is quoted as better car parking at North (the irony) and a shift in commuter numbers (particularly Manchester) from South Fylde to North Fylde via new housing developments.

Calthrop

Established Member
It may not have helped that two branch lines were extended for tourist traffic to Tollesbury Pier in the middle of nowhere and Aldeburgh which opened on the day WW1 started.

My bolding above; annoying nitpicking here, maybe, on my part -- but by my understanding, the Aldeburgh branch itself opened long before World War I: viz. in 1859 - 60. Thorpeness station, between Leiston and Aldeburgh, opened in 1914.

Mikey C

Established Member
Of the original three routes, the North (Poulton) and South (Lytham) routes served intermediate stations and the former also the Fleetwood branch. The Central (Marton) route had no intermediate stations so was only ever about providing extra capacity into Blackpool. So when that capacity was no longer needed it made sense to close that one, and I'd guess Beeching's preference was based on some spurious analysis (such as the line with no stations having less costs - please note this is speculation on my part). So this was probably the best outcome for rail passengers, although some ended up a bit further from their destinations in Blackpool. I agree it would have been desirable to retain the short extension from South and a much slimmed-down Central though.

From the council's point of view they wanted to provide for tourists arriving by car, which was done by converting Central station and final approaches to parking and the line that served it into a motorway continuing into the town as a grade-separated highway (it now seems to be unclassified). They couldn't really have done this with North, as the railway was still needed as far as Poulton at the time to connect to the Fleetwood branch.
Yeadon Way (on the viaduct) is an enjoyable but unusual drive, it's rare for a viaduct to be converted into a road like that, as double tracked railway viaducts aren't very wide. As it is, it's a constricted S2

The line from South could easily have continued further northwards though, even if only to Bloomfield Road (near the football ground) as the sheer number of carparks provided was completely excessive, and it would have provided a more convenient South station

leytongabriel

If so, will no doubt have been costed like the one at Ribblehead. :rolleyes:
Wasn't that a bit of a common technique - lets find something on the line we can say is too costly to justify 'essential' repairs? The Goblin line nearly went that way in the 90's. Wasn't one of the IoW lines also in this category, and the otherwise viable Hayling Island branch?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Wasn't that a bit of a common technique - lets find something on the line we can say is too costly to justify 'essential' repairs? The Goblin line nearly went that way in the 90's. Wasn't one of the IoW lines also in this category, and the otherwise viable Hayling Island branch?
I think the more usual technique was to roll maintenance right back to save costs then 'discover' the cost to bring it up to grade. But the Hayling Island branch wasn't viable by any measure, bridge rotten to the core or not.

leytongabriel

That makes sense! But there's a strong idea still on the island that the 'Hayling Billy' didn't make an operating loss. (sub)urban myth?

zwk500

Veteran Member
That makes sense! But there's a strong idea still on the island that the 'Hayling Billy' didn't make an operating loss. (sub)urban myth?
Wikipedia claims it was in fact covering is costs, but it wasn't doing any more than that. When the bridge needed repair (and tbf it was more than 90 years old), it would never have returned that investment. The Terriers and coahces were totally life-expired, and with rising costs not being matched by fares additional capital investment was not justifiable.

I've not yet seen an authoritative source for the break-even claim, but then again I've seen nothing to claim the contrary. It was a short line, cheaply operated and probably got quite good weekend traffic to the beaches from Portsmouth and Havant. It's possible.

Lucan

Established Member
annoying nitpicking here, maybe, on my part -- but by my understanding, the Aldeburgh branch itself opened long before World War I: viz. in 1859 - 60.
Hardly nitpicking. The branch was instrumental in creating Aldeburgh as a fashionable Victorian seaside resort, one that was favoured in literary and artistic circles, and remains so. Thomas Hardy took holidays there, for instance, and would have come by train.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hardly nitpicking. The branch was instrumental in creating Aldeburgh as a fashionable Victorian seaside resort, one that was favoured in literary and artistic circles, and remains so. Thomas Hardy took holidays there, for instance, and would have come by train.

Initially, Hardy surprised me in this context, because of the part of the world concerned -- but one might easily enough envisage him occasionally getting a bit fed-up with Wessex; and, to make a change, fancying a spell in an area of England as different as possible, from his normal "patch" :smile:.

Lucan

Established Member
Hardy surprised me in this context, because of the part of the world concerned -- but one might easily enough envisage him occasionally getting a bit fed-up with Wessex; and, to make a change, fancying a spell in an area of England as different as possible
I knew there was a photo of Thomas Hardy on Aldeburgh beach. I have just done a Google search and found that by sheer co-incidence there is an article on Hardy today in the Mail Online which includes that photo. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...enuine-love-match-despite-age-difference.html (scroll down a bit). This was probably in the 1920s but the fact remains that Aldeburgh was established as a genteel resort in Victorian times, helped by the railway reaching it.

Perhaps Hardy also surprises us by his marriage in his old age to a much younger woman - but pehaps not, as a closer look at his books reveals a rather erotic view of women, within the constraints of acceptable writing at the time. But I'm getting off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.