• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Overrated Lines for Scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I know I might have some opposition on this one, but please bear with me. I love mountain scenery, moorland scenery, coastal scenery and forest scenery and I have spent a lot of time hiking, climbing, abseiling and canoeing around the UK and abroad, but there is also something to be said about iconic city scenery. I am not from London, but lived in London for seven years (it seemed much more than that - but I will do again one day!), and it is in this spirit that I submit the very humble (and at one time for me humdrum):

London Charing Cross to London Cannon Street - a view recognised the world over and which millions around the world would love to be lucky enough to see one day.

That's a good shout - I'd recommend the line from Crossgates into Leeds and westbound from Manchester Piccadilly to Deansgate for having a nice high view of the city centre for similar urban reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ng1980

I know I might have some opposition on this one, but please bear with me. I love mountain scenery, moorland scenery, coastal scenery and forest scenery and I have spent a lot of time hiking, climbing, abseiling and canoeing around the UK and abroad, but there is also something to be said about iconic city scenery. I am not from London, but lived in London for seven years (it seemed much more than that - but I will do again one day!), and it is in this spirit that I submit the very humble (and at one time for me humdrum):

London Charing Cross to London Cannon Street - a view recognised the world over and which millions around the world would love to be lucky enough to see one day.

I'm thinking of a four letter word meaning "oops" but it begins with 'f' and usually ends with an exclamation mark!

I meant to put this in the UNDERRATED lines, not overrated.

Sincere apologies for any inconvenience!

Now, what's that 'f' word I was thinking of - let's reach for the dictionary ...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder BUT Bristol-Taunton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Somerset is far and away by quite a distance my favourite British county for countryside etc, the last time I did the line between the two (northbound) the sun was just setting over the level, bathing everything in a reddy-orange glow. It was really nice - that's my kind of scenery usually, Carlisle-Carstairs / Barrhead and the Berk & Hants are more examples.

ng1980

That's a good shout - I'd recommend the line from Crossgates into Leeds and westbound from Manchester Piccadilly to Deansgate for having a nice high view of the city centre for similar urban reasons.

@tbtc,
Thank you very much for your support. Sincere apologies for luring you to the wrong topic!

Schnellzug

Established Member
I dunno - you'd get a better view out of the large windows of a Pacer than from any intercity stock :lol:

Actually, that's fair enough. the 142s were quite good on the Devon branches & coast in that respect. Probably better than an HST, in fact.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ever stopped to contemplate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I'm just saying I think it is very overrated, I'm not saying it's horrendously ugly, but I wouldn't put it in my Top 10 in the UK; I can't see why people think it's the best in the UK but there you go. It's an opinion. I prefer farmland and fields to hills, is that OK?

No it isnt ok :lol:

Have you been down the Tyne Valley line? A great deal of it is farm land & fields! (what do you think that green stuff out of the window is? )

On that score it should be your favorite! I know it isnt all massive boxes of agribusiness like some of the country but it is farmland!

4SRKT

Established Member
I am not saying it to be contrary, what on earth would be the point in that? Do you think I enjoy getting torn new ones over matters for the sake of it? I don't. Do you think this is flaming? Believe me, it is not. There's a million and one things I follow general consensus on among enthusiasts, a love of HSTs, a soft spot for Pacers, thinking McNulty needs to go away, the belief that the West Highland line is probably the best around, however I just cannot see the rave and belief that the S&C is the best around. North of KSW is really nice, however I tire of seeing just valleys and hills after a while, I prefer other types of scenery. Others AFAIAC can think it's the best around, ride it all day long, do whatever they like, however from a personal point of view I wouldn't, and I think a lot of claims that it is the best in England are questionable, as it is all a matter of taste.

You hate all sport don't you? Isn't that 'so out of kilter with the established view'. I think it is, however I can live with it and get over it, because you and I and every other person in the world will have a different point of view on everything. Is that so hard to accept?

I don't hate all sport. I'm not mad about it, but I can understand why others do like it. It's not a good analogy anyway as lots of people like lots of different sports in different ways, but the S&C is widely recognised as a very scenic journey, to the extent that it is almost axiomatic. To say it isn't suggests you have a completely different meaning of the word 'beauty'. Of course it's fine to hold such a view, but culturally it is more akin to saying "I think Shakespeare couldn't write" than "I don't like football". A valid opinion and it's fine to say and hold controversial views (goodness knows I hold enough of them myself), but to express something so contrary to both the eyes and experiences of [nearly] everyone else is inviting comment.

Anyway, I particularly don't like the phrase 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', because it is nearly always used by blokes to justify having an ugly wife or bird! It's the same as 'she's got a great personality' ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
@tbtc,
Thank you very much for your support. Sincere apologies for luring you to the wrong topic!

Don't worry, I'm easily lured :lol:

You are right though - scenery isn't just about cliched views of rolling hills etc - the DLR has much more interesting views than 95% of the ECML south of Gateshead (which, apart from Durham, is a pretty boring line).

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I am going to agree with this one. In that short stretch, you get two views of the Thames and an intemate view of the London street scene of shops, pubs, offices and the Borough Market.

I would also extend this to London Bridge and beyond, including stunning views of Tower Bridge, the Gherkin, Canary Wharf, Southwark Cathedral and (for a few weeks at any rate) the trainshed at London Bridge.

4SRKT

Established Member

You are right though - scenery isn't just about cliched views of rolling hills etc - the DLR has much more interesting views than 95% of the ECML south of Gateshead (which, apart from Durham, is a pretty boring line).

I would say a VERY boring line. It's mercifully quick though!

sprinterguy

Established Member
One problem it has is that, erm, how can I put this, it's in the valley for too much of the eastern part of the journey - you've got very little in the way of scenery because you are so low down.

The good stuff happens west of Hexham where the line rises in line with the scenery
Surely not, I've always really enjoyed the leafy section alongside the river from Blaydon through Wylam, once the train clears the edge of industrial Tyneside. You can see up the northern valley side to Heddon on the Wall, and beyond Wylam there is the attractive former railway bridge adjacent to where the junction for the route along the north side of the Tyne used to diverge. Further on, there's the picturesque town of Corbridge visible on the right, and if you actually alight from the train at Wylam, there's the joys of the nearby Boathouse public house to be sampled <D Plus it's just generally nice to have the river winding its' way sedately along beside the train, which is something that is lacking from the western extremity of the route.

It's amazing how quickly the train leaves the urban environment of Newcastle and Gateshead and reaches open countryside (With Prudhoe being the only remarkable blot on this trend); it reminds me of the Leeds to Skipton route out from Shipley in that respect.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Best journey I had on the S&C was on a Pathfinder Tour hauled by a pair of DRS 20s in a snowstorm, just wonderful, but cold.
I had a similar experience, but on a Compass Tours run with a 20 and a 37 at the head, with the snow sparkling in the late winter sunlight all across the dales as we crossed Ribblehead Viaduct. Absolutely superb. Bottle of Old Peculier in hand as well, brilliant :D

ng1980

He he.

You are very right, the DLR has some amazing views, too! Good addition to the list!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am going to agree with this one. In that short stretch, you get two views of the Thames and an intemate view of the London street scene of shops, pubs, offices and the Borough Market.

I would also extend this to London Bridge and beyond, including stunning views of Tower Bridge, the Gherkin, Canary Wharf, Southwark Cathedral and (for a few weeks at any rate) the trainshed at London Bridge.

Thanks for the support.

And you are right, this should be extended out to just beyond the other end of London Bridge.

Thanks again!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Liskeard-Looe line figures in the Thomas Cook Timetable as a scenic rail route, but when I travelled on it one summer recently I found it rather tedious once you had reached the valley at Coombe.
Just hemmed in by trees all the way.
Didn't help that FGW cancelled one round trip and left me kicking my heels in Looe for an hour longer than planned (good local beer...).

Not too fussed by Truro-Falmouth either - no real views from the train.
Plymouth-Gunnislake on the the other hand - great.

4SRKT

Established Member
I did Looe on a clear frosty morning before breakfast early this spring straight off the sleeper. It was magic!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes, I'm sure scenic lines are at their best in March/April (and October) when there is less foliage and the sun is lower for good photos...

asylumxl

Established Member
The Devon seawall is over-rated in that it's much better to be on the seawall or the beach than on the train IMO. Dawlish especially. Get some icecream from Gay's Creamery and relax.

Established Member
I found the Cumbrian Coast and Esk Valley lines quite boring when I did them, particularly the Cumbrian. Three hours just looking at the sea does get rather boring.

Whoever told you the East Suffolk was interesting, let alone scenic, should be shouted at. Loudly.

I agree 101% with this point!

4SRKT

Established Member
The Devon seawall is over-rated in that it's much better to be on the seawall or the beach than on the train IMO. Dawlish especially. Get some icecream from Gay's Creamery and relax.

Unless you're on a HST and can get your head out of the window. This is fantastic and there's no shortage of suitable rolling stock for this purpose on this stretch :)

starrymarkb

Established Member
I'd have to say large chunks of the Glacier Express in Switzerland, Brig to Andermatt was very nice, but East of Andermatt was a bit meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.