• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most pointless journey for which a fare is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I remember back when I had a PRIV I tried to buy a ticket from Mauldeth Road to Picadilly from the Guard.

He just said "Don't worry about it mate" and carried on down the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Exeter st David's to st Thomas likewise.
Are you saying that it's pointless there being any fares set for this short hop (simply because no one would bother buying a ticket unless they needed to use it to get through the barriers at St. David's)?

njamescouk

Are you saying that it's pointless there being any fares set for this short hop (simply because no one would bother buying a ticket unless they needed to use it to get through the barriers at St. David's)?
i wasn't actually saying it was pointless merely saying (as it happens, 20 years ago) that the trip was over before the guard could collect the fare.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I used to frequently cycle down the hill from the Uni, board a train to Central then use the ramp at the far end of the platform to cycle back up Pennsylvania Road to the Uni. This was in 2003 when there were no barriers. I think barriers must be fairly recent at Exeter.
Depends how you define recent. They’ve been there at least ten years that I know of.

riceuten

Well, walking from Oxford road to Picc is not as easy as it looks.
I’ve done once, must have took 15 mins.
I grew up in Manchester, and it would be a brisk 15 minute walk. It would certainly cost more than £2.40 in a taxi. Most fares from outside the centre are valid to Manchester Stations, so if Piccadilly or Oxford Road is where you want to go, you can change trains.

Chris217

A single from Maidstone East to Maidstone West is £2.10.
Although you won't get a train from East as you have to walk to Maidstone Barracks which takes around 10 minutes.
Or if you walk all the way from East to West via the town centre it takes around 15 minutes.

Another one could be Penarth to Dingle Road. 10min walk down hill for most of it. £2.90 by train or free if you are in the front coach of a 4 car train lol as the journey takes about a minute.
Not that I ever do that of course.

markem41

Whilst that's a steep fare for a distance walkable in 10 minutes (if you know where you're going), it would not be true to say it's totally pointless. There are even circumstances in which Oxford Road to Deansgate would not be a pointless journey (though I admit it would make little sense to pay for it specifically).
Deansgate to Oxford Road is handy in peak time to get a seat on the stopping service going back out again. ;)

BurtonM

Before the Ordsall Chord opened you could legitimately overtravel to Salford Crescent on a Stalybridge-Manchester Ctlz ticket as the mileage Stalybridge - Salford Crescent and doubling back to Piccadilly was fractionally shorter than Stalybridge-Manchester Piccadilly direct. Break of Journey was permitted on the outbound. The staff at Crescent really didn't like it though.
The price of a Stalybridge - Manchester Ctlz return was the same price as a return to the Crescent!

Stalybridge-Glossop is a bit of a pointless fare, at £6.50 return, it takes an hour and a half and you have to travel via Manchester Piccadilly because TPE don't serve Guide Bridge.
The 237 bus is half an hour faster and £1.50 cheaper with a Stagecoach Dayrider.

plugwash

Established Member
NRE still thinks stalybridge to Picadilly is valid via victoria and salford crescent.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Before the Ordsall Chord opened you could legitimately overtravel to Salford Crescent on a Stalybridge-Manchester Ctlz ticket as the mileage Stalybridge - Salford Crescent and doubling back to Piccadilly was fractionally shorter than Stalybridge-Manchester Piccadilly direct. Break of Journey was permitted on the outbound. The staff at Crescent really didn't like it though.
The price of a Stalybridge - Manchester Ctlz return was the same price as a return to the Crescent!

Stalybridge-Glossop is a bit of a pointless fare, at £6.50 return, it takes an hour and a half and you have to travel via Manchester Piccadilly because TPE don't serve Guide Bridge.
The 237 bus is half an hour faster and £1.50 cheaper with a Stagecoach Dayrider.
It's still permitted - both Salford stations are within the Manchester Stations group.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
NRE still thinks stalybridge to Picadilly is valid via victoria and salford crescent.

Give it a day or three and it may well not be, people do read here and close loopholes that are pointed out! :D

Deansgate to Oxford Road is handy in peak time to get a seat on the stopping service going back out again. ;)

It is, or Oxford Road to Picc, though I very much doubt anyone would actually pay for it as with a Manchester Stns/Ctlz ticket it's near-undetectable and rather de-minimis.

When the Southern service from MK to Croydon used to go to South Croydon and was 4-car so left East Croydon full and standing, sneaking to South Croydon and back was similarly useful.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Whitby to Scarborough £61.00 and takes just under 4 hours.

Bus takes 1 hr and costs around £8.
So the journey may be pointless - but is there a point to the fare? Specifically, is it pitched to deter people from buying that train ticket and then being disappointed by the journey time?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So the journey may be pointless - but is there a point to the fare? Specifically, is it pitched to deter people from buying that train ticket and then being disappointed by the journey time?
Yes, a fare exists in case anyone wants to travel between those two stations by train. Consider the possibility that you might not want to do it all in one go, and the ability to do break of journey (particularly on the return portion) could be useful.

I don't think it is deliberately intended to put people off taking the train, but simply priced that way because it can't undercut intermediate fares along the route you go by train. The fare is only slightly more than that from Scarborough to Darlington or Yarm, both of which are journeys which could quite reasonably be done by train.

Uk125

best of all, as few mentioned. rice lane to walton £25.10 takes 13 mins train journey with 1 change. walk takes 5 mins!

ServerHoster

best of all, as few mentioned. rice lane to walton £25.10 takes 13 mins train journey with 1 change. walk takes 5 mins!
Are you sure that's not a ranger or rover? I'm sure no-one would pay that much. A Merseyrail day saver costs £4.101611133968967.png

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It's actually £25.20 which is the price of a Lancashire Day Ranger.

(BR Fares has no fares available between Rice Lane and Walton (Merseyside).)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are you sure that's not a ranger or rover? I'm sure no-one would pay that much. A Merseyrail day saver costs £4.10View attachment 88973

It's a Day Ranger, which comes up in this sort of case. The Merseyrail Day Saver is in as an odd faux-point to point ticket so doesn't come up. There isn't an actual point-to-point fare for Walton <-> Rice Lane, so I think we established upthread that it didn't count?

Uk125

Strange, no fare available on br fares site but available for £20 when I added disabled adult card.

It's actually £25.20 which is the price of a Lancashire Day Ranger.

(BR Fares has no fares available between Rice Lane and Walton (Merseyside).)

Sorry Mr Pedantic :p yes I'm aware it's a day ranger that's why I said it's best of all.

Metrolink

I’m not to sure if this has been said but Wigan Wallgate to Wigan North Western is a mere few feet from each other and travelling by train between the two would mean joining on to the Manchester to Liverpool Main line at Newton le Willows, travelling to Oxford Rd or Piccadilly and back on the local lines through Westhoughton and Swinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.