• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most powerful UK passenger / test consist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
I was browsing the internet and found a news article announcing Trenitalia had been testing a consist comprising of two Class E464 4,693hp locomotives with a pair of UIC coaches in between.

http://www.ferrovie.it/portale/articoli/8673

So with 9,386hp for a total consist weight of 230tons - and a power to weigh ratio of almost 41hp/ton.
Has there ever been a more powerful UK test/passenger consist?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Depends how you define consist. A light engine Class 92 works out at about 53bhp/ton!

Railperf

Established Member
2 x IC125 power cars .. So 1770 rail horsepower per power car = 3540hp and 68 tons per power car = 136tons = 26hp/ton. Not bad - but way off 40hp/ ton

Railperf

Established Member
I'd be intrigued to know as well, purely because i'm unsure what a 'solitary' pair is. Solitary is single isn't it, so cannot be two?
Sorry ..yes, poor use of the English language there on my part

Railperf

Established Member
Depends how you define consist. A light engine Class 92 works out at about 53bhp/ton!
At least one loco and enough vehicles to run at the loco's maximum service speed - or if under test the test maximum speed if it is greater than the design operating speed.
In that case a light loco would not count as it is limited to 60mph.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Love that Italian set. Northern Fail could learn a thing or two from the Italians :D didn't Virgin test a 15-car Voyager when they were new?

JohnMcL7

The 68's running top and tail with three carriages for some of the passenger services must have a fairly high power to weight ratio for diesel power. I don't know how heavy the flask trucks are but there's been a pair of 88's pulling a single flask truck which means just shy of 11,000bhp although I realise in both cases both locos are not being used for power at the same time. I've seen a pair of 66's hauling a single flask and it looks quite bizarre having the two massive locomotives and one little truck.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I once had a cab ride in a light 92 and the driver used full power and the boost button to pull away from a signal check. It was like being in a plane taking off, very impressive.

Railperf

Established Member
A class 90 light engine - 7860hp and weighs 80 tonnes - about 96hp per tonne
I would love to record that 0 to 60mph time - though a Class 87 could be quicker still depending on how quick the driver could work the tap changer!

alangla

In terms of actual services, the Class 90 + Mk3 sets that ran to North Berwick in the mid 2000s must be up there for passenger stock. Pretty sure Virgin XC subbed a 158 with a 2+2 HST on a few occasions, not sure if FGW ever ran a 2+1 HST.

TheEdge

Established Member
I've seen a pair of 66's hauling a single flask and it looks quite bizarre having the two massive locomotives and one little truck.

It's all a matter of making sure the contents of that "one little truck" don't get stuck somewhere without adequate protection.

A GA Ilford trip with a 37/57/90 and a single Mk3 must be fairly high.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yes, APT-P was 4,000hp per power car so for DTS+M+M+DTS that would be about 39hp per tonne.
Although you couldn't run an APT-P with just driving trailers and motor cars due to the articulated passenger trailers. As noted by dubscottie the minimum train length would include four passenger trailers, and I'm unsure that such a short formation every operated.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Although you couldn't run an APT-P with just driving trailers and motor cars due to the articulated passenger trailers. As noted by dubscottie the minimum train length would include four passenger trailers, and I'm unsure that such a short formation every operated.

Good point, totally forgot that. In which case DTS+TBF+M times two would be 29.5hp per tonne.

I know a passenger half-set operated with a short half-set like that but not if two short half-sets did.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Good point, totally forgot that. In which case DTS+TBF+M times two would be 29.5hp per tonne.

I know a passenger half-set operated with a short half-set like that but not if two short half-sets did.
Yeah they definitely operated with just two passenger vehicles at one end of the train towards the end of their short lives, but I don't think both.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yeah they definitely operated with just two passenger vehicles at one end of the train towards the end of their short lives, but I don't think both.

It appears a test rake of DTS-TS-TBF-M-M-TBF-DTS operated but I can't find anything shorter.

notadriver

Established Member
In terms of EMUs (fixed formation) I believe the class 345 has the honour.

Railperf

Established Member
In terms of EMUs (fixed formation) I believe the class 345 has the honour.
Do we know what power and weight they are? Acceleration wise 0 to 80 mph around 1 minute is is one of the fastest in the UK

JohnMcL7

It's all a matter of making sure the contents of that "one little truck" don't get stuck somewhere without adequate protection.

I do appreciate the need for two locos for redundancy but still a 66 is a little overpowered for the job although I guess its reliability counts in its favour.

Grannyjoans

I do appreciate the need for two locos for redundancy but still a 66 is a little overpowered for the job although I guess its reliability counts in its favour.
Two of anything is overpowered for that job - apart from 20's - which don't do it anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.