• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most reversals in a single booked passenger working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
After being on a service earlier, it gave me an idea for which trains do the most reversals in a single passenger journey (please move if best elsewhere)

I put forward the "West Yorkshire Grand Tour" - Wakefield Westgate to Leeds via Huddersfield/Bradford.

This train reverses direction at Wakefield Kirkgate, Huddersfield and Bradford Interchange, so 3 times in a relatively short space of time (I think it spends more time hanging around at the points it turns round at than actually on the move!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
It's going to be hard to beat this, that's for sure. In the past three reversals was more common, such as Aberdeen > Penzance which reversed at Edinburgh, Carstairs and Birmingham New St (and each was a loco change to boot, meaning four locos in one journey).

Crossover

Established Member
It's going to be hard to beat this, that's for sure. In the past three reversals was more common, such as Aberdeen > Penzance which reversed at Edinburgh, Carstairs and Birmingham New St (and each was a loco change to boot, meaning four locos in one journey).

I thought it may be to be honest. It just got me thinking as I saw the crew change (safely!) at Kirkgate, then had to change less than 20 mins later at Huddersfield. Can't spend longer than about 30 mins in one driving seat really!

Capybara

You can probably find a few good ones in Germany as a number of the stations handling through trains in larger cities are termini - Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Leipzig and Munchen immediately spring to mind. I managed a 'three' last year travelling from St Anton (in Austria) to Koblenz with reversals in Lindau, Friedrichshaven and Stuttgart but I don't think that particular train is running this year.

dzug2

Did that not call at Gloucester as well? (Ignorant question maybe)

richw

Veteran Member
Did that not call at Gloucester as well? (Ignorant question maybe)

i went from penzance to scotland, had a nap was facing forward, woke up going backwards, i woke up about 15 mins before birmingham so must of reversed at some point before there!

4SRKT

Established Member
i went from penzance to scotland, had a nap was facing forward, woke up going backwards, i woke up about 15 mins before birmingham so must of reversed at some point before there!

<gets out 1985 book>

The Aberdeen > Penzance didn't call at Gloucester, but there was an Edinburgh > Plymouth that did. However that would still only have 3 reversals.

Also, some NESW workings used the line from Kings Norton into Birmingham the other way, so didn't reverse at New St. You can't tell this from the public timetable tho.

Established Member
1P01 York - Castleford - Leeds (R) Leeds - Huddersfied (R) Hebden Bridge - Salford Cres (R) Man Picc & Air

Made matters worse one night, with a points failure at Castleford, did a 3 point turn also via Alltofts which was a fourth (R)

Status
Not open for further replies.