• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Underrated Lines for Scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwos

I think Leeds - Knaresborough is stunningly beautiful most of the way, and criminally overlooked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sbt

Guildford to Havant has been mentioned. I will put in a second vote for this stretch of the Portsmouth Direct line. I am lucky enough to have it as my daily commute - in fact I am passing Godalming as I type, running along the embankment across the Lamas Lands.

Rick

Cletus

Established Member
Yes, you don't need the query (?) (or is that just the music in your voice?). Yes, yes, yes, it's MY LINE! The Copy Pit route. In the 40s our family lived just one field away from Kitson Wood signal box, and I can hear NOW the sound of the 8F coming up the hill, and the interleaved yet more distant sound of the 8F banker - "one TWO three four one TWO three four" becoming "One-a Two-a three-a four-a" as the banking engine emerged from the cutting above our house. The line is SPECTACULAR, passing through short tunnel (Harley Wood), then high on stone viaduct (Doliker), then on a shelf opposite the rocky cliffs in the cleft of Cliviger Gorge, and finally out onto the moors above Cornholm (the site, incidentally, of my little story "Popping" in another thread). Then through calmer country as it descends, now on the west side of the valley, to Towneley and on through urban Burnley to Rose Grove. At one time it was almost disused, but with the rail renaissance it carried the experimental Leeds-Preston service, now well established. And with Todmorden West Curve, and all that, in the offing it will be a busy route in the future.

Went this way for the 1st time yesterday.
From the approaches to Halifax to Burnley Manchester Road station I think are as picturesque a route as I've been on. (my route coverage map will tell you that's not saying a lot!).

Also went along the Harrogate line - the view into the river valley at Knaresborough was the highlight of that line.

Established Member
The Croydon Tramlink from Sandilands to New Addington proved to be a lot nicer than I had expected.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Guildford to Havant has been mentioned. I will put in a second vote for this stretch of the Portsmouth Direct line. I am lucky enough to have it as my daily commute - in fact I am passing Godalming as I type, running along the embankment across the Lamas Lands.

Rick

That's some compensation for 450s, then.

6Gman

Established Member
The Lake District would be on the WCML from Carlisle downwards. North of Carlisle on the WCML lies the Lowther Hills in the Scottish Borders.

Both are excellent stretches of line for scenery though.

No, travelling UP from Carlisle is to travel southbound.

Lancaster - Carlisle is DOWN; Carlisle - Lancaster is UP.

This is a railway forum! :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
No, travelling UP from Carlisle is to travel southbound.

Lancaster - Carlisle is DOWN; Carlisle - Lancaster is UP.

This is a railway forum! :)
That's true! Although are the UP and DOWN directions in railway parlance ever referred to as upwards and downwards? I've never heard it said quite like that.

4SRKT

Established Member
I think Leeds - Knaresborough is stunningly beautiful most of the way, and criminally overlooked.

Given that Armley jail is on a hill above the line at the Leeds end, it is without doubt criminally overlooked.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
My choice would be the North London Line from Richmond to Stratford. Whilst the introduction of the Class 378's has made it harder to admire the views the needs of the commuter should always come before anything else.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Tonbridge - Hastings is very attractive countryside - best experienced from 1957 slimline thumper stock obviously :D

The Whitby branch runs through some lovely scenery - not spectacular, just some very gentle rolling hills - at least until you get to the estuary which is rather marvellous.

One route which I think is particularly good for railway enthusiasts is Leeds - Hull. The countryside itself is rather flat for most of the way, although not without it's charms with nice views of the Wolds in the distance. However, there are a myriad of interesting yards and spurs to keep one interested, not to mention Selby swing bridge, the trainshed at Paragon and of course, the splendid view of the Humber bridge and estuary.

TSR :D

Snow Hill line, at between Bordseley station to Moor Street, you get to see whole of Birmingham including the line approaching to New Street and city centre.

Genocide

Inverness - Aberdeen.

Because it's very non-UK scenery - you could be anywhere in the world in places. Blatting across that with a pair of 31's was one of the most surreal UK experiences I've ever done.

Liam

Established Member
Stirling-Dundee.

Along Strathallan and Strathearn, between the Ochils and the Southern edge of the Highands. Then along the rooftops of Perth City Centre and across the Tay, then the Carse of Gowrie with views down the Firth of Tay to the Tay Bridges and across into Fife.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A few more from me that I've done recently for the first time:
- Dockyard-Gunnislake. An absolute stunner, horrendously underrated and I think the best 'short' line in the country (yes, better than the Sea Wall and St Ives line). Sticking by the Tamar is nice in itself, but north of Bere Alston is something else altogether, the spectacular rolling hills and valleys to the east and the absolute gem of a viaduct at Calstock. I only had the time to do it once, I would happily have done it three or four times.
- Oxted-Uckfield. I did it in the late evening as the sun was setting, and the glow it cast over the fields and woods the line passes through was at times breathtaking. I don't think it's quite so special during the day, but still a little beauty of a line, and fully worth the run out.
- Bath-Trowbridge. Not amazing, but still as very pleasant and a good indicator of the stunning natural beauty that part of the world has on offer.
Westbury-Weymouth (though I only needed to Yeovil). Gives an excellent feeling of being in the back of beyond in farmland terms.

Statto

Established Member
Deffo agree with whoever mentioned the North Wales Coast Chester to Holyhead, i've done this journey quite a few times, although mainly Holyhead to Chester on the North & Mid Wales Rover[or whatever that's called now], even leaving Holyhead you see the Mountains of Snowdonia aproaching as you head towards Bangor, then from Bangor most of the route is near the Irish Sea & River Dee, a great route to do on a Loco haulled Pendo on a Sunny Day[the one that connects with the midday Ferries from Ireland.:D

fairliered

Stevenston - Largs. Views of the Firth of Clyde as far as Kintyre, plus traction (even 37s & 47s on Hunterston flask trains if you are lucky).

redthunder

North Wales Mainline between Chester & Holyhead I agree with Statto is stunning

Going under the Britannia Bridge between Llanfairpwll & Bangor, the views either side are breathtaking, between Bangor & Llandudno Junction you got the brilliant coast & of course Conwy Castle, the Llandudno branch off near Deganwy is fantastic too, as well as the Conwy Valley line to Blaenau Ffestiniog, you got the coasts, valleys & mountains all in one 30 mile stretch!!!!! Back on the mainline as well as some great coast views round Colwyn Bay - Rhyl too as well as another castle in the mountains too in that stretch, you have it all round there!!!!!!

Another line (which I dont think has been mentioned) is the Riviera Line (Exeter - Paignton), the views especially round the coastline at Dawlish & Teignmouth are fantastic, and even round Starcross you got the views of Exmouth too!!!!!! The only problem with that line is its too short & fast lol!!!!!!

SprinterMan

Established Member
North Wales Mainline between Chester & Holyhead I agree with Statto is stunning

Going under the Britannia Bridge between Llanfairpwll & Bangor, the views either side are breathtaking, between Bangor & Llandudno Junction you got the brilliant coast & of course Conwy Castle, the Llandudno branch off near Deganwy is fantastic too, as well as the Conwy Valley line to Blaenau Ffestiniog, you got the coasts, valleys & mountains all in one 30 mile stretch!!!!! Back on the mainline as well as some great coast views round Colwyn Bay - Rhyl too as well as another castle in the mountains too in that stretch, you have it all round there!!!!!!

Another line (which I dont think has been mentioned) is the Riviera Line (Exeter - Paignton), the views especially round the coastline at Dawlish & Teignmouth are fantastic, and even round Starcross you got the views of Exmouth too!!!!!! The only problem with that line is its too short & fast lol!!!!!!

Completely agree with both of these. They are the 2 best stretches of coastal railway I have ever done (although I haven't done the EMCL). I am very lucky having the North Wales Coast Line as my local line.
Adam :D

D6975

Established Member
I did the Weymss Bay and Gourock lines last week on a beautifully sunny day.
Lovely views along the Firth of Clyde.

redthunder

Oh 1 other line thats got some amazing views (especially if its had snow in winter)
And that is the Hope Valley Line which runs between Sheffield & Manchester, amazing Peak District views especially from Grindleford - Chinley

Oh 1 other line thats got some amazing views (especially if its had snow in winter)
And that is the Hope Valley Line which runs between Sheffield & Manchester, amazing Peak District views especially from Grindleford - Chinley

I second that. Fabulous views on a sunny day too:D

Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury line
There are some beautiful parts of that line

Lickley Incline
Bromsgrove to Droitwich Spa is a particularly beautiful part of this line

Birmingham to Worcester Line
Between Kidderminster and Stourbridge Junction, you can see fields of green and a few farms

aylesbury

My line through the Chilterns Amesham to Wendover lovely scenery and a good service as well.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.