• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most used livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR165022

What I mean by this is, the livery that has been used over the highest number of operators

From memory I think it could be the virgin east coast livery as it's been used on/will be used on:
Virgin
EMT
LNER
Cross Country
EMR
Transport for Wales
Network Rail

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
People will no doubt say Dynamic Lines but I should just clarify the versions seen on Hull Trains, First Great Western and First Capital Connect were all different

ash39

Established Member
Intercity Swallow immediately after privatisation:
Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
GNER
Great Western
Midland Mainline
Anglia

Regional Railways livery probably spread even further wide but my memory of all the post privatisation TOCs is a bit hazy

USRailFan

Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
GNER
Great Western
Midland Mainline
Anglia

Regional Railways livery probably spread even further wide but my memory of all the post privatisation TOCs is a bit hazy
Had all Freight allocated Class 90s received triple grey at this point, or is there a chance Freightliner and/or EWS should be added to the list as well?

ash39

Established Member
Virgin Trains silver also has has 6

Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
Cross Country
Abellio Greater Anglia
Northern Rail (Tour de France weekend)
TransPennine Express (1 service!)

Had all Freight allocated Class 90s received triple grey at this point, or is there a chance Freightliner and/or EWS should be added to the list as well?
Yes all the ones that moved into freight use (016-050) were either RES red or triple grey I believe

On Moderation

Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
Cross Country
Abellio Greater Anglia
Make it 7... you can add the DATS/ROG electrification test train

adc82140

Established Member
Network Southeast:

Used on:

Thames Trains
Chiltern
Silverlink
WAGN
First Great Eastern
LTS Rail
Connex South Eastern
Thameslink
Connex South Central
South West Trains
London Underground (Waterloo & City)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
Cross Country
Abellio Greater Anglia

Yes all the ones that moved into freight use (016-050) were either RES red or triple grey I believe
Make it 7... you can add the DATS/ROG electrification test train
Make it 8, because Avanti West Coast still use it on the Voyagers, although they’re applying blue vinyls now

SteveyBee131

Regional Railways lingered on until 2008, and has been the subject of a recent heritage repaint, so the livery found it's way into at least the following fleets...

Northern Spirit
Arriva Trains Northern
First North Western
Northern Rail
Wessex Trains
Wales and Borders
Valley Lines
Central Trains
Scotrail
EWS
DRS

EDIT to add
Anglia Railways
East Midlands Trains

EDIT again to add
Wales and West
Cross Country

There may well be others that my forgetterry didn't remember!

Last edited:
Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
GNER
Great Western
Midland Mainline
Anglia

You could also add GWR and EMR with one HST power car each

Established Member
Regional Railways lingered on until 2008, and has been the subject of a recent heritage repaint, so the livery found it's way into at least the following fleets...

Northern Spirit
Arriva Trains Northern
First North Western
Northern Rail
Wessex Trains
Wales and Borders
Valley Lines
Central Trains
Scotrail
EWS
DRS

You can add Anglia Railways, and I'm also fairly sure a 153 made it into the EMT era still in Regional Railways livery!

First capital connect was also used by Thameslink when First group took it over. (Which got the nick name "Worst Capital Connect")

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Network Southeast:

Used on:

Thames Trains
Chiltern
Silverlink
WAGN
First Great Eastern
LTS Rail
Connex South Eastern
Thameslink
Connex South Central
South West Trains
London Underground (Waterloo & City)
Island Line could also be counted in this as that was originally its own franchise separate to South West Trains, and I think it was a few years before the dinosaur livery arrived.

I also seem to recall there were a couple of NSE-liveried 101s knocking around Manchester in the early days of privatisation, until around 2000ish? I think they were Longsight based, so First North Western?

This final one might be a bit cheeky, but GBRf operated 87012 in NSE livery (and for a while a regular performer on Virgin WC services), albeit a later repaint and with London 2012 'Back the Bid' wording.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Virgin West Coast
Virgin Cross Country
GNER
Great Western
Midland Mainline
Anglia
You can also add National Express Scotrail to that list, in the form of the mark 2 and mark 3 sleeper stock that remained in Intercity Swallow livery until refurbishment in 2000.
Although there were a couple of Intercity Swallow liveried no-heat 37s that lasted long enough to operate for EWS, following the cessation of their days working the Inverness and Aberdeen sleepers.

sd0733

Established Member
Maybe not quite as widespread as some of the other examples but another couple of widely spread liveries were

Central Trains Used by:
Central
Wessex
Wales and Borders
NXEA
One
EMT
ATW
Scotrail
TPE
Possibly Northern

Stagecoach blue livery
EMT
EMR
SWT
SWR
TfW
Colas
DATS
Anglia (on hire)
LSL
VTEC
East Coast
LSL
Cross Country (on hire)

Last edited:

On Moderation
Stagecoach blue livery
EMT
EMR
SWT
SWR
TfW
Colas
DATS
Anglia (on hire)
You could add LSL, East Coast, VTEC and LNER to that list, and there was also a hire to CrossCountry as well.

BayPaul

Established Member

Northern Spirit
Arriva Trains Northern
First North Western
Northern Rail
Wessex Trains
Wales and Borders
Valley Lines
Central Trains
Scotrail
EWS
DRS

EDIT to add
Anglia Railways
East Midlands Trains

You can also add Wales and West to that list

Doctor Fegg

Established Member

[...]

Also CrossCountry immediately post-privatisation - they ran a small number of services with 158s in their original RR Express livery.

Neptune

Established Member
Maybe not quite as widespread as some of the other examples but another couple of widely spread liveries were

Central Trains Used by:
Central
Wessex
Wales and Borders
NXEA
One
EMT
ATW
Scotrail
TPE
Possibly Northern

Stagecoach blue livery
EMT
EMR
SWT
SWR
TfW
Colas
DATS
Anglia (on hire)
LSL
VTEC
East Coast
LSL
Cross Country (on hire)
Definitely Northern with the 158’s which transferred in. Also 150’s were in the 2 local CT livery’s used on the Snow Hill lines.

SteveyBee131

You can also add Wales and West to that list

Also CrossCountry immediately post-privatisation - they ran a small number of services with 158s in their original RR Express livery.

Ah yes, of course! Will duly add... ;)

Doomotron

If we're going by sheer numbers of units (I know that's not what the OP said), BR Blue would be on top with the different divisions and sectors of BR, and in modern times I'd say that EWS was a widely used livery and can be seen to this day.
People will no doubt say Dynamic Lines but I should just clarify the versions seen on Hull Trains, First Great Western and First Capital Connect were all different
FCC ('Urban Lights') is pretty much a separate livery, having very little in common with Dynamic Lines other than the colour scheme. As for Hull Trains, it was the same livery as the Class 180s at First Great Western, which was a variant of Dynamic Lines but was different in a number of ways.

pieguyrob

To the Network South East list you can also add the Bulgarian Railway Company, who currently operate 87012.

fgwrich

Established Member
If we're going by sheer numbers of units (I know that's not what the OP said), BR Blue would be on top with the different divisions and sectors of BR, and in modern times I'd say that EWS was a widely used livery and can be seen to this day.

FCC ('Urban Lights') is pretty much a separate livery, having very little in common with Dynamic Lines other than the colour scheme. As for Hull Trains, it was the same livery as the Class 180s at First Great Western, which was a variant of Dynamic Lines but was different in a number of ways.
I've always loved the Dynamic Lines livery (Particularly the Local Lines version for the West Country), but by far the worst was the TPE Dynamic Lines on Steroids as used on the 350/3s. What were they thinking!

cj_1985

I've always loved the Dynamic Lines livery (Particularly the Local Lines version for the West Country), but by far the worst was the TPE Dynamic Lines on Steroids as used on the 350/3s. What were they thinking!
Would be the 350/4s...
FTPEx never operated 350/3s

py_megapixel

Established Member
What about First Barbie? I'm thinking it might just beat Dynamic Lines.

Officially
  • First Great Eastern
  • First North Western
  • First ScotRail
  • First Great Western
  • First Hull Trains
  • First Transpennine Express
and unofficially
  • Caledonian Sleeper
  • Serco-Abellio Northern (in the time taken to repaint FNW's stock)
  • Abellio Scotrail
  • Arriva Northern (in the time taken to repaint transfers from Scotrail)
  • National Express East Anglia (in the time taken to repaint FGE's stock)
and also, more tenuously, Abellio Greater Anglia - a sort-of-version was present on 360s until very recently, and possibly Arriva Trains Wales given they got some transfers of ScotRail 150s

On Moderation

Officially
  • First Great Eastern
  • First North Western
  • First ScotRail
  • First Great Western
  • First Hull Trains
and unofficially
  • Caledonian Sleeper
  • Abellio Scotrail
and also, more tenuously, Abellio Greater Anglia - a sort-of-version was present on 360s until very recently, and possibly Arriva Trains Wales given they got some transfers of ScotRail 150s
You can add in EWS / DB Cargo (the Barbie liveried locos for the sleeper) as a user, and also Virgin Trains, as they hired in at least one of said 90s.

fgwrich

Established Member
You can add in EWS / DB Cargo (the Barbie liveried locos for the sleeper) as a user, and also Virgin Trains, as they hired in at least one of said 90s.
Along with 'ONE' Anglia too. There was a reason why Virgin chose not to have a dedicated 90 repainted to match the Pretendolino, and this was it.

Though somewhat ironically you later had the situation where DRS liveried 90 (hired from DB to DRS to work the Pretendolino) ended up working for Greater Anglia instead.

ChrisMcBride

Officially
  • First Great Eastern
  • First North Western
  • First ScotRail
  • First Great Western
  • First Hull Trains
and unofficially
  • Caledonian Sleeper
  • Abellio Scotrail

ScotRail 150s never got First Barbie

Status
Not open for further replies.