• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mostly West Hampstead & Stratford

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've added a collection from various locations, mostly West Hampstead and Stratford.

MML HST at speed operating 1F16 10:25 St Pancras to Sheffield, through West Hampstead

A Thameslink City Metro service to Sutton

90001 arrives at Stratford from Norwich.

360104 calls at Stratford. It was getting quite dark by this point so we got a Class 90 that was following this train back to Liverpool Street.

Click here for more photos on this collection at yorkie.fotopic.net

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy

very nice pic's there. i also tought you were going to Newcastle, it seams that everybody has been to london in the past two months.

Julian G

Established Member
yorkie said:
I've added a collection from various locations, mostly West Hampstead and Stratford.

MML HST at speed operating 1F16 10:25 St Pancras to Sheffield, through West Hampstead
ah, my favourite service xx:25 :P

thinking of going back to West Hampstead again

Nick

Whats so special about the xx:25 service, whats wrong with xx:55 Nottingham HST's, there formed of different MU's* per day

*Or fixed formation HST's (DMUs with opening windows)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
But Nick has a fair point about the way HSTs are operated on the whole.
Not relevant. They simply are not DMUs.

We've had this discussion before.

Just because a train doesn't change formation every day doesn't mean it's a DMU/EMU.

As I said before, what about the Fragonset top n tail 31s, what about the fixed formation 87 + Mk3s + DVT on the West Coast? Does an 87 suddenly cease to be a loco just because it has a DVT on the end? no.

Class 91s + Mk 4s are similar operationally to HSTs, rarely changing formation, so are class 91s not a loco?

Class 43 is a loco, fact.

Tom C

Nice pics Yorkie

Re the 319, are you sure it is bound for Sutton?

a)the blinds says Luton (which isn't fool proof obviously, I have seen Dunstable on many a 319)
b)Something is very strange about the photo because it looks like it is on the down line but the train is coming towards you. If so it wouldn't be going to to Sutton..

More than likely I am totally wrong but I am confused so help me out :lol:

anyway nice photos

Kind Regards

Tom C

Met Driver

Established Member
Tom C said:
a)the blinds says Luton (which isn't fool proof obviously, I have seen Dunstable on many a 319)
b)Something is very strange about the photo because it looks like it is on the down line but the train is coming towards you. If so it wouldn't be going to to Sutton..

It's definitely travelling towards Blackfriars - the trail lights are illuminated. As for the blind - the driver probably forgot to change it at Luton.

The Gricer

yorkie said:
evil_hippo said:

Just because a train doesn't change formation every day doesn't mean it's a DMU/EMU.
Yes, indeed. How many DMUs can you think of that have a seperate non passenger carrying power vehicle? Also the term DMU in itself denotes a unit that can be used in multiple with other units of the same (or similar) type. How many times have you seen HSTs working in multiple?

Seth said:
Tom C said:

It's definitely travelling towards Blackfriars - the trail lights are illuminated. As for the blind - the driver probably forgot to change it at Luton.
Easy mistake to make. Red tail lights quite often come out looking white in photographs, especially when taken 'head on'. This seems particularly so with the brighter LED type lights. As for the blind, this being the back of the train, I guess it has just been left set for the last run in the other direction.

Frank

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, it's definitely bound for the loop.

I only had the chance to take a couple of pics at Farringdon but if the conditions are good I'll try to get some more when I'm next there.

Nick

The Gricer said:
yorkie said:
evil_hippo said:

Yes, indeed. How many DMUs can you think of that have a seperate non passenger carrying power vehicle? Also the term DMU in itself denotes a unit that can be used in multiple with other units of the same (or similar) type. How many times have you seen HSTs working in multiple?

I seen regualr HST's work in multiple in peaks there are often doubled up four car meridians in service. And the French couple up there HST's too, so I've seen a few ta!

Non-passenger carrying power cars-Thumpers to some extent, GEX and HEX units too. The point is Just because they don't have an enginer which isn't underfloor doesn't make them a loco, Class 43 power units can't run with passengers in because there is no subsequent fireproofing from the engine to the former Guards compartment at the rear of the cab. Therefore for safety it is moved to the MK3 coach. Bicycles and packages can still be carried in them rear of the power car, the Power Cars have a gangway connection to the Guards area on the MK3 coach, so it is possible for a driver to walk down to the other powwer car without getting off his train, it is just that the engines are loud and big that it is crampt to walk through and would take longer then walking down the platform.

Acording to your think a Pendolino is a hauled set of C4 Coaches? What aboiut the Blue Pullman which the HST was based on was the a Loco? The reason 43's don't have seats is the big engines, but they remain DMU's. What were there original numbers...Class 253 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.