Mother is locked up for speeding (for 2 days)

Not open for further replies.


Established Member
9 Jul 2005
A businesswoman is considering legal action after she spent two nights in police cells after being arrested over a 14-month-old speeding offence.
The case against mother-of-four Michele Keating, from Daviot in Aberdeenshire, was later thrown out by a court in England.

She had to make a 450-mile journey to Scunthorpe in the back of a police car with just one 15-minute break.

A Grampian Police spokesman said they had acted "empathetically".
Mrs Keating, 43, was stopped by police on the A90 near Stonehaven.

She was told there was an outstanding warrant for her arrest issued by magistrates in Scunthorpe, was detained and held in police cells in Aberdeen overnight.

She was transferred to Scunthorpe the next day and spent a second night in solitary confinement.

Mrs Keating said on Wednesday that she had admitted speeding at 100mph in North Lincolnshire in September last year.

After hearing nothing more, however, she assumed the charge had been dropped.

She appeared in court after 48 hours in police custody and the case was immediately thrown out because it was decided it was "not in the public interest" to prosecute.

Ms Keating - who said she blamed the court system rather than the police - said: "I didn't have a clue what was happening.

"I was in a dreadful state when I was released. I hadn't eaten and I hadn't slept.

"I have never had any dealings with the police in my life and have certainly never heard of this happening to anyone else."

She continued: "I didn't even know there was a speeding fine. We moved house three months after the letter arrived.

"It couldn't have been that hard for them to find us."

Husband Christopher said: "My wife was left languishing in a cell with no information and her kids at home not knowing what was going to happen to her.

"It should not have happened."

Mrs Keating's solicitor, Stuart Cranidge, said: "It is one of the most outrageous cases I have dealt with in 35 years."

A force spokesman said: "Grampian Police acted both professionally and empathetically throughout."

Humberside Police said they had received no complaint but, if they did, it would be investigated.
Not open for further replies.