• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motorway services

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesT

Established Member
My 3 litre Toyota pick up if fuelled up at my local garage on Romney Marsh will be half way up Loch Lomond before the little yellow light comes on, why on earth would anybody buy fuel on the motorway in 2020?

Assuming you mean a Hilux, that appears to have an 80 litre tank. My Yaris only has a 36 litre tank. Fuel economy on the Yaris will be better, but it's still likely to get thirsty somewhere near Carlisle doing that trip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Always amuses me to see the signs asking you to pay for parking if staying longer than 2 hours. As anybody wants to spend a minute longer than necessary in one of those hellholes.
Maybe if the loos have such a long queue that a toilet break takes that long:p

I notice they don't have parking metres, and instead expect you to go into WHSmith to pay!

Crossover

Established Member
The 'overpriced' element is the business model: for the traditional service area which you can only access from the motorway, then pretty well by definition there's no alternative trader you can go to, so high prices can be charged for distress purchases.

I’ve also heard it mentioned that prices are higher in part to offset the costs of running at quieter times (ie. overnight, primarily)

One chain I wish we saw more often at motorway services is Subway, as a quick but decent quality sandwich is usually exactly what I want on a long journey. As an aside I absolutely hate most pre packed sandwiches.

Subway is one that I’ve started to see appear at Welcome Break’s (Hartshead EB had one when I went the other week, as does LFE). I still kinda mourn the loss of ‘Eat In’ there though, as I used to quite like it and they’ve been replaced by an assortment of chains, but I may be in the minority on that one!

timothyw9

I was in Lancaster M6 Services the other day and it was mandatory to wear a face mask to enter (which to be fair they were handing out), I was only going to the toilets, so was in and out in 3-5 minutes. Complete waste of a mask, surely there needs to be some exception(s) to the legislation?

Established Member
I was in Lancaster M6 Services the other day and it was mandatory to wear a face mask to enter (which to be fair they were handing out), I was only going to the toilets, so was in and out in 3-5 minutes. Complete waste of a mask, surely there needs to be some exception(s) to the legislation?
Let's be fair. Something that restricts your breathing in a public bog is no bad thing..

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Some people aren't as organised and forget to fuel up before their journey, basically.

But if they price it reasonably, then there's no reason not to get it there, and if you're going to need to stop for a wee anyway... :) (You don't need to do a double stop, most of them have toilets in the garage bit as well as the main services bit, and usually a Costabucks machine these days too)

Soome motorists genuinely don't care what price they pay for fuel.

Incidentally, Irish motorway service fuel is priced very competitively, I found to my surprise last year.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Let's be fair. Something that restricts your breathing in a public bog is no bad thing..

:)

When I stopped at one with masks required for the first time, I was going to remove it once I got into the toilet cubicle, but left it on because it indeed made the stink less unpleasant.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I carry a fabric one which can be washed and reused to avoid waste. If you don't fancy making one yourself there's a wealth of options available to purchase. Maybe you might like to look into that.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No it's not. Neither is something that restricts your breathing at the entrance to a service station, where there inevitably seem to be a few people smoking.

Which brings me on to another thing which all MSAs need - designated smoking areas, so that the rest of the public don't have to breathe in second hand smoke.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which brings me on to another thing which all MSAs need - designated smoking areas, so that the rest of the public don't have to breathe in second hand smoke.

Yes, that would be good. Most have an outside picnic type area which is barely used, so they could designate part of that and move the other tables away from it.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Always amuses me to see the signs asking you to pay for parking if staying longer than 2 hours. As anybody wants to spend a minute longer than necessary in one of those hellholes.

That is to stop people meeting up with friends, parking some of the cars and then all going off in one car. Quite a few business trips were done this way.

paul1609

Established Member
Assuming you mean a Hilux, that appears to have an 80 litre tank. My Yaris only has a 36 litre tank. Fuel economy on the Yaris will be better, but it's still likely to get thirsty somewhere near Carlisle doing that trip.
How often do you go from Kent to Scotland in a Yaris though?
If you seriously do; Boroughbridge Junct 48 of the A1(M) has a Morrisons within 1/2 mile with a nice cafe.
Carlisle M6 Junction 43 has a Tesco petrol station next to it, Junction 44 has an Asda next to it.
Junction 10 of the M74 has a Tescos next to it.
Personally I tend to stop somewhere in the North Pennines so I can do a short hike en-route.
Somehow I find it amusing that Rail Enthusiasts seem to like stopping on MSAs!

Established Member
:)

When I stopped at one with masks required for the first time, I was going to remove it once I got into the toilet cubicle, but left it on because it indeed made the stink less unpleasant.
I've done similar on an XC Voyager.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you seriously do; Boroughbridge Junct 48 of the A1(M) has a Morrisons within 1/2 mile with a nice cafe.
Carlisle M6 Junction 43 has a Tesco petrol station next to it, Junction 44 has an Asda next to it.
Personally I tend to stop somewhere in the North Pennines so I can do a short hike en-route.

I feel that a motorway journey is incomplete without a stop at a service station.

JamesT

Established Member

I've only just got the Yaris so haven't done the trip in that yet. But with my previous Corolla I'd do it occasionally (Oxford to Scotland rather than Kent, but still a bit of a hike).
I know about the supermarkets near the junctions at Carlisle, I've used them often.
But my point was more that for many vehicles doing a long trip you're going to need a stop along the way to fill up, unlike the example vehicle that has a larger than average tank.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have a two year old Yaris and when it was still brand new I was returning from a trip to Beamish on the A1(M) when I realised that my gauge was showing empty. Panic! I was still new to hybrid and hoped that I could continue on electric if necessary. Pulled off at the next junction. Do I go left or right? Went left and found a petrol station within 1/2 mile. Because of lockdown I filled my tank last week for the first time since before Christmas.

Yes I am one of those who just uses service areas for a toilet break, check the newspaper headlines in WHS and only occasionally if I am on a long trip have a hamburger. I do however often stay in the lodges at a service area for convenience.

Of course some Motorway Services are now having to compete against the increasing number of unofficial services that seem to be springing up at Motorway Junctions, which frequently offer a Petrol Station, plus the usual suspects, Greggs, Subway, Mcdonalds, Costa, Starbucks etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course some Motorway Services are now having to compete against the increasing number of unofficial services that seem to be springing up at Motorway Junctions, which frequently offer a Petrol Station, plus the usual suspects, Greggs, Subway, Mcdonalds, Costa, Starbucks etc.

EuroGarages are the big organisation doing that. They do operate one (possibly more) actual services site on the M61, though.

py_megapixel

Established Member
EuroGarages are the big organisation doing that. They do operate one (possibly more) actual services site on the M61, though.
They took over Bolton West a while ago, which was famous for being an absolute s***hole, and demolished and rebuilt it. It's now very similar to a modern French or Belgian service station from the outside. Not been inside though since the redevelopment but it looks lovely.

Eurogarages operate quite a few of said continental service stations which probably explains the similarity.

One of the brands is also experimenting with selling fuel at a more reasonable price. As a result I filled up at one (rather than putting a tenner's worth in and finding an Asda via satnav) on Saturday. Indeed, I think that's why - the captive market is no longer captive, because satnav means you can easily find a large supermarket which basically offers the same sort of thing and typically has other eateries around it too.

Or do as I do. Ensure you have enough fuel for my journey at least one way before I get to the motorway.

Tom B

Established Member
Adding to the list, the ones at J17 of the M4 nr Chippenham are far superior to the 'official' services. Just thinking about their steak baguettes is making my stomach rumble and my wallet feel relaxed.

I amn't a great fan of the big services, but they are what they are. Some with e.g. greggs are better - although dearer than the high street, at least everything is fresh. I usually use alternatives - for example, at Peterborough there is a variety of cheap chain places (carvery, mmm) in a short distance from the A1, there's also a large Tesco for any snacks etc which has a PFS for cheap fuel.

As for the petrol stations on motorways - I'd wager that a decent %age of their business comes from fuel cards, where price isn't a concern to the driver!

BJames

Established Member
Fleet services southbound M3 is not bad - it was rebuilt after its fire a couple of years ago and looks decent, it's a Welcome Break so it's got all the usual at the usual prices but it's more bearable to spend time in. It's still got it's connecting bridge to the northbound services which are considerably older and much worse.

Northampton Services on the M1 isn't too bad either, I preferred it to Newport Pagnell to be honest.
Yes, that would be good. Most have an outside picnic type area which is barely used, so they could designate part of that and move the other tables away from it.
Agreed, this is much needed.

Butts

Veteran Member
There was a period about 20 years ago ? when the Motorway Service Fuel Prices were displayed on the Blue Motorway Signs advertising them.

I don't think it lasted long because it drew peoples attention to how extortionate the prices were !! Plus the physical intervention required to change them every time the prices went up.

Whatever happened to Little Chef ? - I used to love an Olympic Breakfast.

There was a period about 20 years ago ? when the Motorway Service Fuel Prices were displayed on the Blue Motorway Signs advertising them.

I don't think it lasted long because it drew peoples attention to how extortionate the prices were !! Plus the physical intervention required to change them every time the prices went up.

Whatever happened to Little Chef ? - I used to love an Olympic Breakfast.
They are still around but the number of outlets is much reduced, or at least they were before the virus.

Of course Motorway Services have vastly changed from when I was a kid in the 70's when used to be a single big Self Service Cafe, I think a few used to have Waiter Service Restaurants as well, now of course its mainly Fast Food and Coffee Shops of one sort or another.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I have a two year old Yaris and when it was still brand new I was returning from a trip to Beamish on the A1(M) when I realised that my gauge was showing empty. Panic! I was still new to hybrid and hoped that I could continue on electric if necessary. Pulled off at the next junction. Do I go left or right? Went left and found a petrol station within 1/2 mile. Because of lockdown I filled my tank last week for the first time since before Christmas.

Yes I am one of those who just uses service areas for a toilet break, check the newspaper headlines in WHS and only occasionally if I am on a long trip have a hamburger. I do however often stay in the lodges at a service area for convenience.

It's still got about 50 miles of fuel left in it when it shows empty.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've only just got the Yaris so haven't done the trip in that yet. But with my previous Corolla I'd do it occasionally (Oxford to Scotland rather than Kent, but still a bit of a hike).
I know about the supermarkets near the junctions at Carlisle, I've used them often.
But my point was more that for many vehicles doing a long trip you're going to need a stop along the way to fill up, unlike the example vehicle that has a larger than average tank.

Most cars do about 400 miles to a tank

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They are still around but the number of outlets is much reduced, or at least they were before the virus.

Gone completely now. EuroGarages have purchased the sites (with a view to turning them into Starbucks etc), they did keep the unconverted ones open for a while but have now closed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.