• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motspur Park to Norbiton Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasher11

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I am looking to buy an Annual Season ticket from Motspur Park (Z4) to Norbiton (Z5), but information from SWT website indicates that due to Major Upgrade work at Waterloo next year, that no trains will call at Norbiton pretty much the whole of August 2017. It suggests that you plan your holidays around these dates!

It says that further info will be available nearer the time.

When I enquired at Norbiton ticket office, the member of staff said he hadn't heard of the work, but that didn't mean it wouldn't happen.

In previous instances of this type of thing, is there a general rule of thumb? Am I doomed to a month of Replacement Bus services, or would the ticket's validity be extended to Kingston (Z6), which is a 10-minute walk away from work.

One of the reasons that I am interested in an annual season ticket is for the associated Gold Card benefits, (which I have only just discovered). I know that there are cheaper season tickets that would still provide the benefits, but when I do the sums it actually makes more sense to get one that I will use.

Perhaps I should add that I work a 4-day week as I actually live in Cornwall, spend far too much time and money on GWR trains, route home is always change at Exeter ST David’s for SWT as it is so much cheaper. At least my Local Devon and Cornwall railcard gets me that far…

Thanks for any advice or help (apart from suggestions to move closer to work!)
Steve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
There's not much information yet on the Waterloo upgrade in Summer 2017, nothing on ticket validity yet. I suspect SWT will be pretty flexible regarding the validity of tickets though. However, no trains calling at Norbiton suggests all the Kingston services will be running the longer route via Twickenham, so you would have a significantly longer journey between Motspur Park and Kingston, you'd have to travel via Clapham Junction.

clagmonster

Established Member
If easements aren't introduced for you to do what you intend, then you could always do a changeover to something that would be valid at the start of that month and then change back when the works are over.

duncanp

Established Member
If there are no trains running via Norbiton you could

(a) Take the train from Motspur Park to New Malden and then get bus 213, which passes close to Norbiton Station.

(b) Take bus route K5 direct from Motspur Park to Norbiton. Althougn only every 30 minutes, which is low by London standards (cue gales of laughter from the rest of the country :lol:) a running time of 22 minutes from Motspur Park to Norbiton is probably just as quick as the train anyway, given that you have to change trains at Raynes Park.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/K05.htm

Gnasher11

Thanks for the replies, the K5 Bus is my current route to work, but it can be very erractic, the time that it arrives at Motspur Park can vary by 10-15 minutes each day, and sometimes it jsut doesn't turn up at all, which means a walk to alternative bus stops some distance away. (I know that I can monitor it's progress via various Bus Apps, but the other day it just dissapeared off the listings some distance from my stop, resulting in me being late for work, and it's not the first time this has happened)

As I do frequent journeys to and from Cornwall as well, I thought that the Gold Card season ticket with associated benefits was a good idea.

Can I ask, is the Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St. Johns Road still a 'valid' Season ticket, or would I get laughed out of the ticket office because the Staff 'know' what I am trying to achieve? Need to book at SWT Office as the 6 'free' tickets would be very useful, I assume that these turn up by post once the ticket has been issued.

Thanks again.
Steve

duncanp

Established Member
Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St. Johns Road is a valid season ticket, and I am sure the ticket office at Waterloo would be able to issue one for you.

Regarding the reliability of the K5 bus, each bus stop in London has a 5 digit number. If you text that number to 87287 it will give you real time information on the arrival of the next bus.

So if the K5 is shown as being late, a viable alternative is to walk South West from Motspur Park along West Barnes Lane and Motspur Park to Malden Road (about 20 minutes)

From there you can get bus 213 to Norbiton.

If there are replacement buses during the closure, you would have to get a train from Motspur Park to Raynes Park, another train to New Malden, and then a bus, which would take a long time.

John @ home

Established Member
I am looking to buy an Annual Season ticket from Motspur Park (Z4) to Norbiton (Z5)
That costs £660.
K5 Bus is my current route to work
Do you actually use a bus in your journey to and from work? If so, consider an Annual Travelcard Motspur Park - London Zones 4-5. That costs £972, but includes unlimited rail and tube travel in Zones 4+5, together with unlimited travel throughout Greater London on buses, Tramlink and Docklands Light Railway and discounted travel on Thames river services.
One of the reasons that I am interested in an annual season ticket is for the associated Gold Card benefits
is the Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St. Johns Road still a 'valid' Season ticket ... Need to book at SWT Office as the 6 'free' tickets would be very useful
Members of this forum have had contradictory experiences in attempting to purchase a £172 Annual Season ticket Ryde Esplanade - Ryde St. Johns Road and have the ticket issued on Gold Card stock. See Has the Ryde gold card been axed? from August 2015 and Ryde Gold Card from May 2016.

greaterwest

Established Member
The Ryde Pier Head to Ryde St John's Road isn't the cheapest way of doing it, the cheapest currently on the SWT network is Exeter Central to Exeter St David''s at about £140

People purchase these tickets with the exact intention; you shouldn't be laughed out of a ticket office.

Gnasher11

Sadly the price of the Exeter St David's to Exeter Central Annual season ticket is now £228, unless one of the versions that are only valid certain days of the week would still count, they are still £140, but wasn't sure whether they would still be issued as a Gold Card and if so, would the day(s) restrictions printed on it?

The Colonel

Gnasher,

I am breaking my self imposed exile of this forum to answer your questions.

Full details of the altered services during the Aug 2017 works have not been made available to staff yet, so the chap at NBT may not have known too much. I cannot yet say what alternative ticketing arrangements are in place as these have not been sent out to staff (or public) yet. I am aware of some of the intended train services during the works ;)

TEW is correct about Kingston trains – they will go via Twickenham. There is NO SERVICE on the Chessington line for the duration of the works – replacement buses will operate to Worcester Park, I understand.

As you have found out
a) Motspur Park is in a desert as regards buses and
b) the K5 is worse than useless, and often runs early, late or not at all.

The Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St. Johns Road still a 'valid' Season ticket afaik and is available on all SWT systems, and it would prompt the clerk to issue it on Gold Card stock, as for any Annual season.

Sadly the price of the Exeter St David's to Exeter Central Annual season ticket is now £228, unless one of the versions that are only valid certain days of the week would still count, they are still £140, but wasn't sure whether they would still be issued as a Gold Card and if so, would the day(s) restrictions printed on it?

It would be issued as a Gold Card, and it does have days of the week on it. I wasn’t aware of this season, but checked it today.

I suggest you go to Motspur Park station sometime.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.