• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving Season ticket to a smartcard, what details are shown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mork74

just about to move to card. only reason be easier to get my next months ticket as local office is always closed.

but I was just wondering what sort of info is displayed to barriers and staff who scan my ticket?

just thinking of data protection etc

think its southeastern but also thameslink on the line

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
On barriers very little except an error code if it doesn't work.

To staff checking the ticket no more than a season ticket. Depending on the ticket type and checking device your name (to ensure it's not being passed around), the price of the ticket and it's validity details. No addresses, contact details etc.

mork74

ok ty, so likely just initial and surname like a paper ticket and then use photocard or driving license if need to prove its you etc

Alex365Dash

use photocard or driving license if need to prove its you etc

Well, just the photocard. Whether staff actually ask for it is another matter, but you should have it with you at all times in case any staff do ask, as you might get a Penalty Fare without it - as per NRCoT 38.1:
National Rail Conditions of Travel said:
If you are unable to present a Season Ticket, or any photocard required with a Season Ticket, when asked by the staff or authorised agents of a Train Company, you will be treated as having joined a train without a valid Ticket

Haywain

Veteran Member
Assuming we're talking about seasons on smartcard, then it is the card and not the season ticket that carries the name. For identification a driving licence will be adequate unless the TOC has specified that a photocard must be carried - certainly not all TOCs take that approach as the smartcard number can be used in lieu of a photocard number.

alistairlees

Established Member
Well, just the photocard. Whether staff actually ask for it is another matter, but you should have it with you at all times in case any staff do ask, as you might get a Penalty Fare without it - as per NRCoT 38.1:
If you have a season ticket on a smartcard there is no requirement to have a photo card or to present any form of ID such as a driving licence. The smartcard by itself is fine.

robbeech

Established Member
If you have a season ticket on a smartcard there is no requirement to have a photo card or to present any form of ID such as a driving licence. The smartcard by itself is fine.
This is all well and good until staff request either a Photocard or form of ID.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Not always, the thinking at RDG is changing and LNER who are just introducing smartcards are doing so with a traditional photocard.

alistairlees

Established Member
Not always, the thinking at RDG is changing and LNER who are just introducing smartcards are doing so with a traditional photocard.
Sure, but on the active big schemes like Southeastern, Southern / Thameslink, and (I think) SWR, GA and c2c, you don't need a photocard.

LowLevel

Established Member

EMR also require a photo card.

Every time the simpletons at RDG try and relax the requirement (the last time was with 7 day seasons) they end up putting it back again owing to misuse that was totally foreseeable.

Howardh

Established Member
When I lost my senior railcard I was so glad it only had my name on it and no other details.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If you've got an Android phone with NFC functionality, you should be able to install the Rambus Smart Ticket Checker app from the Play Store. It displays broadly the same information as staff apps, though (obviously) doesn't have a link with TOC season ticket databases.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Is the traditional photo card on paper or a plastic card? Could it be added to the season ticket card itself.

Saperstein

Last edited:

smsm1

Scotrail are able to supply smartcards that include a photo. Should other TOCs have this option so that a separate photo card or ID is not required?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Scotrail are able to supply smartcards that include a photo. Should other TOCs have this option so that a separate photo card or ID is not required?
That's the ideal solution but delays initial takeup of the smartcards themselves as there is a couple of days lead time in getting the card to the customer. Our current plan is to get smartcards out there issued by our Travel Centres, this means no photos on the smartcards.

kieron

Established Member
Is there space to have them on the card as data? I was thinking that the ideal solution would be that a member of staff scans the smartcard and the photo comes up on the screen along with the ticket details.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
EMR also require a photo card.

Every time the simpletons at RDG try and relax the requirement (the last time was with 7 day seasons) they end up putting it back again owing to misuse that was totally foreseeable.

For the West Yorkshire MCard a photo is only required for the annual card. For all others, transferability is one of the benefits of the card. The Metrocards that they replaced all had photocards (though many years ago they sold a more expensive transferable version).

https://m-card.co.uk/about-mcard/ (Pink MCards are used for day tickets (bus only), weekly and monthly tickets).

The card for an annual MCard has to be ordered in advance.

pdq

I have a Northern smart card with my annual season ticket. When I applied I had to upload a photo so I was quite surprised when the card arrived to find it was just a branded card. I had assumed it would be like my MCard which had the photo printed on the card. Does anyone know if that uploaded photo is viewable anywhere?

mmh

Established Member
Is there space to have them on the card as data? I was thinking that the ideal solution would be that a member of staff scans the smartcard and the photo comes up on the screen along with the ticket details.

The issuing ticket office would need to be able to scan photographs, and portable readers would need to be more sophisticated - it sounds quite costly.

We should just make all non-discounted (i.e. with a railcard etc) tickets transferable an v do away with photocards, it'd make things a lot easier.

infobleep

Veteran Member
That's the ideal solution but delays initial takeup of the smartcards themselves as there is a couple of days lead time in getting the card to the customer. Our current plan is to get smartcards out there issued by our Travel Centres, this means no photos on the smartcards.
Would it be possible to have a passenger apply online but collect from a travel centre / ticket office, where the travel centre / ticket ofdixd does the printing of the card?

In this case there would be an online account where staff would see details of all new travel cards that need printing and passengers would supply some ID and reference number for collection.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Would it be possible to have a passenger apply online but collect from a travel centre / ticket office, where the travel centre / ticket ofdixd does the printing of the card?

In this case there would be an online account where staff would see details of all new travel cards that need printing and passengers would supply some ID and reference number for collection.
One of the options we are looking at is a Kiosk, GTR have some. This processes everything and hands out the card already registered.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There’s no reason why a camera couldn’t be built into these kiosks or a web camera installed at travel centres LinkedIn to the ticket issuing system.

Go to many corporate office in central London and a photo of all visitors is taken by the receptionist using a web camera linked to the access control system.

Some buildings have self service kiosks not unlike TVMs that take your photo and print it on to a pass.

This would be relatively simple for the railway to do if there was a will....

Wallsendmag

Established Member
There’s no reason why a camera couldn’t be built into these kiosks or a web camera installed at travel centres LinkedIn to the ticket issuing system.

Go to many corporate office in central London and a photo of all visitors is taken by the receptionist using a web camera linked to the access control system.

Some buildings have self service kiosks not unlike TVMs that take your photo and print it on to a pass.

This would be relatively simple for the railway to do if there was a will....
We have specified a camera in our requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.