• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving to the UK and driving trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
This country’s crap and getting worse... Stay in Oz

I'm very proud of my country obviously those who slag it off didnt have the opportunity like I have to compare it to other countries.

As somebody who has travelled round the world twice, I can tell you without a shadow of doubt, this country compares well even against America for living standard, security, stability, welfare state and the NHS.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I'm very proud of my country obviously those who slag it off didnt have the opportunity like I have to compare it to other countries.

As somebody who has travelled round the world twice, I can tell you without a shadow of doubt, this country compares well even against America for living standard, security, stability, welfare state and the NHS.
Look up, not down

2L70

On Moderation

That’s one of the things wrong with this country.

Look at me, I’ve travelled the world, so have I.

Next, look at me I’ve got this car.
Look at me, I’ve got this house.

Vespa

Established Member
That’s one of the things wrong with this country.

Look at me, I’ve travelled the world, so have I.

Next, look at me I’ve got this car.
Look at me, I’ve got this house.

Have you ?
If you haven't then you cannot possibly make an objective observation.
Your views are your own, I know what I know and that's enough for me.
Enjoy your life

irish_rail

Established Member
The UK probably fares well alongside third world countries, but when viewed alongside comparable nations I dont think it really competes anymore. And I am only really referring to past 5 years or so since the Brexit vote began to begin the rot. It has since spread, like a cancer , turning friend against friend and father against son. We have become a laughing stock, elected a prime minister who is Trumps poodle , and by the looks of it fallen victim to the Russians. Not to mention the worst covid death rate in Europe.
Given the choice I'd choose Australia all day long, if only for the weather lol

SlimJim1694

"Compares well even against America"... well that's absolutely nothing to be proud of! The USA (which I assume you mean by "America") is widely known for its vast inequality, ludicrous gun laws, mental president, lack of free universal healthcare, poor employment conditions, institutional racism, police brutality and lack of a social security safety net for those falling on hard times. If you were talking about football it would be the equivalent of saying Chelsea compare well against a load of fat alkies from the Nags Head.

I also fail to see how someone travelling around the world (however many times) qualifies them as an expert on anything. That statement gives the impression you only did it so you could brag about it. As someone who completed Panini Espana '82, I could tell you that there were far more stickers printed of Austria's Hans Krankl than there were of Italy's Bruno Conti because I had about 8 swapsies of Krankl, but it would just be my own personal experience. Somewhere in Lancashire there was probably another kid with a big pile of Contis just begging for one Krankl to complete his album...

2L70

On Moderation
That’s the priority for a lot of people in the UK @SlimJim1694, I must have something better than the next person. The impending recession could see to that.

Had to laugh at the NHS being mentioned, which is gradually being sold off?

Robcuk

Time to lock this thread its served its purpose.

Agree - But in summary you’ll have to start as a trainee but both getting the job and the training will be significantly easier.

As for moving back you have your reasons and after ten years living in sydney I had mine. Australia has its problems like the Uk.

2L70 i see your profile picture is of a Tangara at sydenham - Have you been to australia? people are far more vain and showy over there especially in the eastern suburbs.

Good luck - what’s the worst that can happen if it doesn’t work out just head back.

2L70

On Moderation
2L70 i see your profile picture is of a Tangara at sydenham - Have you been to australia? people are far more vain and showy over there especially in the eastern suburbs.

Yes I took the pic... having lived in Holywood Northern Ireland for a time I thought there’s another Sydenham..

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Agree - But in summary you’ll have to start as a trainee but both getting the job and the training will be significantly easier.
That's debatable - having to unlearn a full rule book and relearn how to do everything again can be quite a challenge. Especially if there are things allowed over there that aren't over here.

Robcuk

That's debatable - having to unlearn a full rule book and relearn how to do everything again can be quite a challenge. Especially if there are things allowed over there that aren't over here.
I can only base it on my experience

Ackers91

I see your from Esperance, so you must of work for ARG????.

You must know John, I think hes a driver manager now, but came from the UK around 8 or 9 years ago.

I would try the freight, if you are a freight driver.

I'm not saying you would get something, but your trains are not much different to ours really and if you can drive a freight train, you can drive any freight train...lol.

i'm not on the freight now, I moved to a TOC after 30 years, but have a look at Freightliner....It's worth a punt.

Yeah mate I'm in Esperance, working for Aurizon, have worked for them in Perth and Geraldton also. Do you mean John Cassidy? He's a good friend of mine and a bloody top bloke! Met him up in Geraldton and worked with him in Perth also. Hes a head trainer now from memory.

Crazyb

Yeah mate I'm in Esperance, working for Aurizon, have worked for them in Perth and Geraldton also. Do you mean John Cassidy? He's a good friend of mine and a bloody top bloke! Met him up in Geraldton and worked with him in Perth also. Hes a head trainer now from memory.

Small world..

We were on the freight together...I can't remember what actually and why he moved, but it was when ARG came over looking for freight drivers.
Not my cup of tea, but good luck to him for doing that move, has his kids stayed in the UK.
Lovely bloke. He was on my FB, but I closed that down years ago.

Head of training!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.