• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mr. Bean train scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I watched the train scene of Mr. Bean as a child, with my autism I would be too focused on the details of what was outside the window. I have now identified it to be the Brighton mainline out of Victoria, so Mr. Bean is presumably catching a plane from Gatwick (the next scene is set on a plane).
15:04: Shaftesbury Park Primary School
15:14: Church of the Ascension, Lavender Hill
15:28: Latchmere Road
15:30: Former school at no. 101 Amies Street
Clapham Junction is omitted, presumably because the train stopped there (this does not appear to be the Gatwick Express)
15:55: Wandsworth Common, no. 151 Nighingale Lane
15:58: Nightingale Lane overbridge
16:00: Wandsworth Common station (buildings visible 16:03, footbridge visible 16:05), then Jaggard Way industrial estate
16:38: Balham (shot repeated at 16:49, buildings on Bedford Hill at 16:51)
17:17: It would make sense for this signal box to be at Balham junction, but looking at maps of the area there does not appear to be a signal box there. Afterwards the train goes over Tooting Bec.
18:18: Tooting Bec Road overbridge
18:51: the start of the rise of Streatham North Slow Spur, followed by its overbridge.

Also, did B.R. really used to have pictures hanging in compartments in the 1990s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's not a service train. It will be filmed at a preserved railway, with the scenery added later.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
No, BR didn’t have pictures in compartments in the 1990’s - it’s a studio addition to break up a blank area. The compartment is a studio mock up of a Mk 1 compartment, using real components.

The donor coach, iirc, was 18863, one of the few refurbished NSE Mk1 SK vehicles (ex Northampton cobbler sets) that ended their days at Old Oak Common. It had been stopped for a serious fault and was being used for spares. I was the one who flogged all the items from the compartment to the film company and we also got paid for removing them! A nice deal for us.

One of my fellow managers at OOC also won the chance to go and see the actual filming, which he rather enjoyed.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, that signalbox is Balham . The location is between the two lines as they separate immediately below Balham station; the Brighton line went the west side of the box and the Streatham Hill line the east side of it.

There were still pictures in compartments at the time, usually of the advertising sort, but I'm fairly sure that is a locomotive hauled Mk1 compartment rather than one in a VEP or CIG unit - with the background added in behind it. That doesn't mean it isn't one on a unit; there were still some unrefurbished ones around at that time, but they couldn't possibly have filmed it on the move with the camera where it is.

Edited to add: Ah... @Clarence Yard confirms that I have recognised a locomotive hauled version. just looked up my 1990 combined volume, and I find I have had that carriage... :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.