• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mr Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
In the film "Mr Turner" (well worth a visit, though not Leigh's best) there is a scene where he watches an early steam locomotive thundering along and is inspired to paint "Rain Steam and Speed". I realise it was not the actual subject of the painting (nor was it claimed to be), but which locomotive was used, and where?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
From the following site:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2473794/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
The working replica of Robert Stephenson's 1830 Planet locomotive is from the Manchester Museum Of Science And Industry. It ran on an old railway track in North Wales, which, crucially, ran east-west. They wanted the sun setting behind the train - the conditions Turner had painted and had only one chance to get the shot right, because the train had to be returned the next day. That night there was a glowing sunset.
After a little more digging, the “old railway” in question is the Llangollen Railway, and the sequence was filmed in August last year.

Last edited:

Oxfordblues

It was a stirring scene for an old spotter like me. Sadly the bull-head track was slightly anachronistic for the period!

Wolfie

Established Member
It was a stirring scene for an old spotter like me. Sadly the bull-head track was slightly anachronistic for the period!

Good god, don't tell me you have been spotting long enough to remember the original....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.