• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Msts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
Hello,

My brother stumbled apon some rather juicy information for all the MSTS out there.

What is it with the development of western train sims?

EA has hardly been chatty about its game and neither has Microsoft about a sequel to the rather impressive Train Simulator from several years ago.

Microsoft has now updated its Train Sim website to reflect the low-key announcement that a sequel is in development based in part of lessons learned during the development of Flight Simulator X.

It will also be an all-new product rather than an update of the previous game. This is due in part to the shift in developer as the previous Train Simulator was coded by Kuju, which is now working on Rail Simulator for EA.

"Following the successful release of Microsoft Flight Simulator X, the Aces Studio is using the same technology to develop a new version of Microsoft Train Simulator," says the official Microsoft website.

"Unrelated to our previous Train Simulator development efforts, this version will be an all-new product built on the Flight Simulator X platform, the culmination of 25 years of product development and technology. It’s too early to discuss the details of this product, but we look forward to sharing more information later this year. We know there are many avid users of the original Train Simulator and we want to hear your thoughts!"

Microsoft Aces Studio's Brett "Mavyryk" Schnepf has discussed the revelation on his blog.

"It has been a while since the clickity-clack and whistle of trains in the halls of the Microsoft Simulations group...till now," writes Brett. "A team has secretly been working on another version of Train Simulator...and our PR/Marketing folks are letting us tell the world."

"The goal of the Train Sim team is to solicit feedback as to features and functionality that our customers would like to see. Granted we are not going to be able to grant every wish...but we do want to get feedback and listen to our audience...so as best we can we can play to them!"

Choo Choo!

From http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=13270

Also see the updated MSTS at http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsimulator/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
Well i've already pre-ordered Kuju Rail Simulator.

Microsoft have a history of not repeating their mistakes, and I would think they will await the release of KRS and basiacally build on what Kuju have done - be one step better.

T

Tom

The engine is already built - so presumably they are just doing physics, etc.

Coxster

Established Member
I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, remember MSTS 2, the one that got scapped late on, and anyway, seems like KRS is going to be hard to beat
Was MSTS2 not caped because Kuju pulled out to make their own sim?

nutter

Didn;t they build the engine for the last MSTS 2 though, I seem to remember seeing some screenshots. I'd love to be proved wrong, but if I hold my breath, I'd die :roll:.

I can see this been a Direct X 10 game personnaly

nutter

Think so, I'd love to be proved wrong, But I was looking forward to MSTS 2 (a) so much that it was a massive dissapointment. Didn;t they even get to releasing some screenshots at one stage

LucaZone

Short History Lesson:

2000: MSTS1 = Developed by Kuju from scratch, Bills paid by M$
2002: MSTS2 = Developed by Kuju on updated MSTS1 from 2000, Bills paid by M$
2003: M$ pulled funding from MSTS2 project and took all code (after all they were paying for it)
2005: KRS = Developed by Kuju, Bills paid by F4G, Marketing by EA
2007: MSTS-X announced (not MSTS2, and unlikely to be built on code from 2003, which was built on code from the original MSTS project). Announcement consists of touched up night photograph and links to several 'blog' sites, all of which were setup and had one post and picture added to the day before. All blog sites are on new Windows Live Space blog system. All blog posts talk about each other and nothing more, and contain contradicting information about whether the game is new or built on MSFS-X.

Here endth the lesson.

devon_metro

Established Member
Well I suppose it's good news Trainsimming appears to have a future. At one stage things looked bleak. Nevertheless, I can't see how anyone can get too excited about a sim we have no detail on, sensible people will hold off all judgements until they've seen both KRS and MSTSx side-by-side.

There's a certain forum I've never seen so much hot air since Jade Goody making stupid remarks.

I imagine its very inpluencial.

GeoffM

No, it was MS who pulled the plug - they went to Kuju in Godalming one morning, cancelled the project, and took away all the files related to the project (which they were entitled to do, as MS "owned" it).

Geoff M.

Gareth Hale

Just get a Windows PC. I will get MSTS-X, from what ive seen, KUJU doesn't look too detailed compared to the FSX Graphics (MSTS-X will be based on the same engine as FSX)

T

Tom

First sign of MS fanboy appearing already in 10 posts.... :lol:

MSTSX physics won't be that good, either way, it'll be a simulator for USA, whereas KRS is UK really.

LondonBVE

Well if Kuju ever ship their Simulator to Singapore, I will be knocking at my game store for it. I simply don't like MSTS cause I hate Microsoft at the first place and secondly I don't find any relation link between our railway system with the US and our railway system is based on the UK ones. And was searching for some Kuju info and found a picture from Gamespot on Kuju Rail Simulator.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/railsimulator/screenindex.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage

The first picture which features a HST in First Electric Livery looks like real if you never click on the image.

Status
Not open for further replies.