• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie19

Dear All

I am hoping to start at MTR Crossrail as a trainee driver in 2019. I am obviously very excited and nervous at the same time (a typically risk averse career changer). I would be very grateful if there is anyone out there who could share their experiences of being a trainee driver at MTR (how have you found the training, how long roughly did it last, how are the company, how does pay progress?)

Everything I have read seems really positive, but any additional information would be very much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crazyb

The training is behind at the moment, some trainees have moved from the first years training salary to the second stage. I'm not sure what it is, but it's around the 44k for the second year. I think the first year is about 29k. The 3rd year, you go on full pay.

Don't be in a rush with your training. Even though it's around 9 months, expect a min of a year to around 15 months.

Your training will be done on the East....Liverpool Street to Shenfield, or pending what depot, you could be on the West, which is Old Oak.

If you travelling in for your actual driving with a instructor, you either need to drive to the depot and park at your own expense. Ilford has a car park, Gidea Park I'm not sure and Shenfield has a car park, which only their drivers get keys for. £10 a day to park at Shenfield.

The driving Jobs can start as early as 4am and lates finish around 22:00 ish to 1am ish. They range from around 5hrs to a average of around 8:30...There are a couple of 9hrs, but not many.

They are advertising for more Driver Instructors to cope with the back log.

I can't comment on the company, but its seems to be ok, all companies have issue's even Eurostar etc etc...

The work is mundane, but not many people leave. Maybe because of the high salary of 60k and living on the doorstep.

Just to note, I've never been a trainee, they could give you more help about the actual in house training, I know they get 175 hours driving, 3 weeks rules and 2 weeks traction.

I hope this helps a little.

Newbie19

Hi Crazyb, thank you very much for coming back to me, very useful information. The year to 15 months of training is what I expected, and I wonder whether the new delays to the project will have any impact, will have to wait and see.

slidingdoors

Parking at the depot at your own expense? Does this apply to qualified drivers as well or just trainees?

Crazyb

Parking at the depot at your own expense? Does this apply to qualified drivers as well or just trainees?

Just trainees

Because there is no depot at Abbey Wood, the trainees will have to drive to Gidea, Ilford and Shenfield, for their driving instructing. This is at there own expense. There are Car parks and quite a big one at Ilford. I know the Old Oak guys were coming over as I had a couple of friends that were assigned for the East driver training, they were driving all the way round the M25 for 175 hours of training and were paying £10 per day to park at Shenfield.

Newbie 19

Not enough instructors, mate.

Last edited:

bionic

Just trainees

Because there is no depot at Abbey Wood, the trainees will have to drive to Gidea, Ilford and Shenfield, for their driving instructing. This is at there own expense. There are Car parks and quite a big one at Ilford. I know the Old Oak guys were coming over as I had a couple of friends that were assigned for the East driver training, they were driving all the way round the M25 for 175 hours of training and were paying £10 per day to park at Shenfield.

Newbie 19

Not enough instructors, mate.

That's shocking if true. I know a bloke who very nearly went over as a qualified driver but decided not to in the end. He's very relieved now. He's heard stories of people who went over there now leaving again for other companies before it's even opened!

Newbie19

That's shocking if true. I know a bloke who very nearly went over as a qualified driver but decided not to in the end. He's very relieved now. He's heard stories of people who went over there now leaving again for other companies before it's even opened!
Thanks for the input Bionic. Are they leaving because of bad experiences?

bionic

I don't know exactly why or how many are trying to leave to be honest mate. He just said in passing he'd heard of people going there then trying to leave again. He works for a well known local TOC and fancied the change. He was offered a start at Crossrail and ummed and ahhed and eventually didn't go.

I find it absolutely staggering they don't have enough instructors. A little while back they were turning decent qualified instructors from the same well known local TOC away!

greatkingrat

Established Member
Maybe it's just that now they know the opening is delayed, there is no great hurry to pass out the trainees they already have?

Newbie19

Thank Bionic, and yes good point Greatking rat - I suppose they have nothing to gain at the moment by passing out the trainees

iphone76

The plan is still going ahead as if the line was opening on schedule. (Within reason as to which routes - such as the COS are available). MTR still face fines if the planned number of drivers aren't passed out at each stage. They are quite considerable too.

They are also actively hiring instructors to get people through.

Training is also progressing with East drivers learning the route to Hayes and shortly Reading.

Newbie19

Thanks for the input iphone76, that's really helpful. How have you found the training (if you received it) / company?

Newbie19

One final question, do any of you see automation / driverless technology threatening drivers on the Elizabeth Line any time in the near future?

GDC

Hi All

I’m also awaiting a start date with Crossrail. I recently received an email saying all positions in the East were full and I have been placed in a holding pool. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of how long these things can usually take? I know every situation is unique but want to know if I should be thinking weeks, months or years!

Status
Not open for further replies.