• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Driver (Multiple Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mekiz79

I think the service stops running at around 1am and restarts at 4.30am. So I doubt you'll be doing night shifts as such

RailGuy111

Does anyone know if you have to do any night driving?

You follow your instructors rota line, so depending on which depot you go to for training, you may end up doing nights (as in night shift).

In terms of night hours, you have do a certain amount of your training driving hours during darkness (around 30-40 hours I think).

TONE.84

Does anyone know if you have to do any night driving?

Doesn’t currently run as a night tube but could obviously change in the future. I’ve seen an old work colleagues rota, you seem to get 6 months in advance and he does have a few 22:00-07:00 shifts and just said it was working in the yard where the trains are kept over night but didn’t doing what I’m afraid! Shifts and hours seemed pretty decent from what he showed me.

KikoMatsing

They offered me June first of all, but I called up told them that I was meant to be offered August.
I was told not to accept the June offer, so I’m guessing if you’ve accepted the June date that when you’ll start. Call them if you can’t before spaces are filled!

I was offered August straight away so that what my email offer stated mate! Like @AMtrain101 said, maybe call and enquire what date you’re down for and change if you would prefer August! What depot did you apply for out of curiosity?

I don't mind starting June, just happy that they offered me one. I'll be going head office next week after my medical so will ask HR. Originally I applied for Gidea Park.

simonw22

Hi Guys anyone starting 1st April yet or am i a lone ranger lol. Im maidenhead depot most ppl on here seem to get start dates for the east.

Iceberg1

How long do you normally wait to give references, book a date for medical and be told to take your id etc after accepting a start date?

Last edited:

Pumpkin79

Hi all, first time posting here. Applied for Gidea Park / Ilford, waiting for my DMI date currently . From what I’ve read in previous threads people are offered start dates and given contracts before a medical is done , is this correct ? The medical is the part I’m worried about because I wear glasses, does anyone know of anyone that has failed a medical ?

simonw22

Hi all, first time posting here. Applied for Gidea Park / Ilford, waiting for my DMI date currently . From what I’ve read in previous threads people are offered start dates and given contracts before a medical is done , is this correct ? The medical is the part I’m worried about because I wear glasses, does anyone know of anyone that has failed a medical ?
You are correct, dont worry about the glasses you are asked to bring them to the medical. Worry about the medical after the DMI no point worrying yet just concentrate on the interview is my advise

simonw22

How long do you normally wait to give references, book a date for medical and be told to take your id etc after accepting a start date?
I was offered the job Jan 15th i think it took til march to get my ref, background checks etc done. I think it was 5 weeks to medical. I think it depends how close your start date is.

Wizkid1010

Hi simon22,

Congratulations on getting through, I have successfully made it through and will be starting on 1st April, I’m for Old Oak Common.

Hi Guys anyone starting 1st April yet or am i a lone ranger lol. Im maidenhead depot most ppl on here seem to get start dates for the east.

Wizkid1010

Hi all, first time poster and a long time lurker, I stumbled across this forum several years ago, when I was first looking into the role of a trainee train driver. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has contributed to this forum, all of the information that anyone could need is here, it has been an eye opener reading posts regarding the application process, through to peoples careers and the reason for wanting to be an Train driver.
Thanks to this forum and the contributors and after 2yrs of going through the process, I have successfully made it through and will be starting my training.

simonw22

Hi simon22,

Congratulations on getting through, I have successfully made it through and will be starting on 1st April, I’m for Old Oak Common.

Brilliant news mate, ur the 1st person to say ur starting same day as me i was getting worried for a minute lol. Well done on getting through.

How you feeling, as it gets closer im getting abit nervous but i think its because ive worked in the same role for 15yrs and its all new to me.

Look forward to meeting you on the 1st.

Pumpkin79

You are correct, dont worry about the glasses you are asked to bring them to the medical. Worry about the medical after the DMI no point worrying yet just concentrate on the interview is my advise
Thanks.

I still don’t understand why they would offer you the contract and start date before the medical

Wizkid1010

Brilliant news mate, ur the 1st person to say ur starting same day as me i was getting worried for a minute lol. Well done on getting through.

How you feeling, as it gets closer im getting abit nervous but i think its because ive worked in the same role for 15yrs and its all new to me.

Look forward to meeting you on the 1st.

Thanks mate and likewise, I’ve been in my current role for 12yrs and yes I’m excited but definitely feeling the nerves a tad.
Looking forward to meeting you.

Iceberg1

I was offered the job Jan 15th i think it took til march to get my ref, background checks etc done. I think it was 5 weeks to medical. I think it depends how close your start date is.

Did they email you for the medical with a date or did you get to choose? And is the main contact for the rest via email or call? I got offered a start date for August and have accepted. :)

simonw22

Did they email you for the medical with a date or did you get to choose? And is the main contact for the rest via email or call? I got offered a start date for August and have accepted. :)
Well after about a month i emailed them to ask when i would start hearing about medicals etc. They replied saying they would be in touch the week after. I then had an email to do background checks and references. A few weeks went by then some1 from head office called to pick a date and time for medical. Then i received an email to arrange uniform so i did this on the same day i did the medical and produced all my documents at the same time. I had to call to do it all the same day otherwise it was costing £40 travel each trip

Iceberg1

Well after about a month i emailed them to ask when i would start hearing about medicals etc. They replied saying they would be in touch the week after. I then had an email to do background checks and references. A few weeks went by then some1 from head office called to pick a date and time for medical. Then i received an email to arrange uniform so i did this on the same day i did the medical and produced all my documents at the same time. I had to call to do it all the same day otherwise it was costing £40 travel each trip

Ok thanks fot the info ill just wait then I have a few months now to start!

TONE.84

Personal question I know but wondering if someone who is already training could answer? How much are you clearing each month salary wise? I’m starting in August and just want to start making plans etc as I’ll be taking a pay cut while training and worries me slightly!
Thanks in advance.

Anders99

Personal question I know but wondering if someone who is already training could answer? How much are you clearing each month salary wise? I’m starting in August and just want to start making plans etc as I’ll be taking a pay cut while training and worries me slightly!
Thanks in advance.

No probs, on a full 4 weeks (we get paid every 4 weeks) it's about £1725. Many are in the same boat, it's hard but a sacrifice only for a precise year

Status
Not open for further replies.