• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Driver (Multiple Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quin79

Just received the same online assessment. How did you find it?
I've just had the email too. Applied for Maidenhead. Have 5 days to complete. Is it any more that SJE and some personal questions about yourself or any questions where asks re company information. Sounds similar to the one I completed for Southern/GTR

UPS1550

I've just had the email too. Applied for Maidenhead. Have 5 days to complete. Is it any more that SJE and some personal questions about yourself or any questions where asks re company information. Sounds similar to the one I completed for Southern/GTR
Nothing about company information, 9 SJE questions to grade order of priority at the end

Quin79

You too, if successful it says will be invited to do a VSE also
I've read earlier in the thread re that VSE. Sounds difficult especially stage 3. Guess we shall see. I hope it doesn't affect my other TOC application if I did fail the VSE

UPS1550

I've read earlier in the thread re that VSE. Sounds difficult especially stage 3. Guess we shall see. I hope it doesn't affect my other TOC application if I did fail the VSE
THAT is what worried me too, as it's being run by OPC for MTR would that just be a pre- psychometric assessment screening or count as the real thing!?!

Stigy

Established Member
It’s easy enough, just remain focussed. It is like doing a mini-version of the stage 2 psychometric assessments though. I passed even after the screen disappeared when my phone started ringing on the computer!

You should check with the OPC or TOC (whoever is carrying out the assessments) as some say it’s part of the psychometric tests (and included in the 2 strike rules too) some it isn’t. My understanding is that it is separate as it’s done by yourself at home rather than under supervision. Unfortunately, the OPC seem somewhat inconsistent in their approach.

Good luck anyway!

Quin79

It’s easy enough, just remain focussed. It is like doing a mini-version of the stage 2 psychometric assessments though. I passed even after the screen disappeared when my phone started ringing on the computer!

You should check with the OPC or TOC (whoever is carrying out the assessments) as some say it’s part of the psychometric tests (and included in the 2 strike rules too) some it isn’t. My understanding is that it is separate as it’s done by yourself at home rather than under supervision. Unfortunately, the OPC seem somewhat inconsistent in their approach.

Good luck anyway!
Thanks Stigy. I have my assessment day next month with Southern, and this is my first time through an application/process. I will check as no way am I wanting to compromise this as I've been doing a lot of prep for the assessment day, last thing I want to do is muck up at home a VSE and that's me then out of the process for 6 months

Quin79

I know it only say 400 applications would be considered for MTR but surely by just submitting a CV without any competency questions pretty much everyone that applied for MTR has been invited to this first stage SJE? The Southern/GTR process was a bit different

UPS1550

Thanks Stigy. I have my assessment day next month with Southern, and this is my first time through an application/process. I will check as no way am I wanting to compromise this as I've been doing a lot of prep for the assessment day, last thing I want to do is muck up at home a VSE and that's me then out of the process for 6 months
If it's just TOC specific it wouldn't affect other applications just that one company

UPS1550

I know it only say 400 applications would be considered for MTR but surely by just submitting a CV without any competency questions pretty much everyone that applied for MTR has been invited to this first stage SJE? The Southern/GTR process was a bit different
300 per depot, but yes more than likely recruitments inbox just overflowed at an alarming rate:D:lol:

Stigy

Established Member
If it's just TOC specific it wouldn't affect other applications just that one company
The VSE isn’t TOC specific. It’s a process that not all TOCs use, but is the same when they do (I believe those who require enhanced passes use the VSE).

Quin79

The VSE isn’t TOC specific. It’s a process that not all TOCs use, but is the same when they do (I believe those who require enhanced passes use the VSE).
Thanks Stigy, you are ever helpful and a font of knowledge as always

UPS1550

But if being used outside of the OPC assessments surely that wouldn't count would it?

Stigy

Established Member
But if being used outside of the OPC assessments surely that wouldn't count would it?
As far as I’m aware the VSE works in conjunction with the enhanced testing and isn’t specific to the OPC, therefore it would be the same across the board. It’s a nationally recognised system, in the same way the psychometric assessments are. Other tests just as the verbal reasoning and TOC specific tests obviously only relate to that one TOC. I guess one explanation could be that those TOCs who test to the enhanced standard ALL use the OPC? In which case it’s the same as “what if I pass to national standard but not enhanced? Do I lose a life”.

As I said, the OPC themselves often can’t give a straight answer, so more than willing to be corrected.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy, you are ever helpful and a font of knowledge as always
Haha, thanks! Good luck with it. I’d be the same in your shoes, and had a similar issue with SWR. Certainly don’t want to be back at square one!

Sarriball29

Congratulations well done! Have they offered you a start date? What depot did you apply for

Thanks.

No start date as of yet. In my interview I was told training might start end of August/start of September. On the email I received about passing the interview, it mentioned that they are still trying to arrange course dates and they anticipate it to be in November. I hope its sooner rather than later :)

I applied to Old Oak Common.

Mabs

Haha, thanks! Good luck with it. I’d be the same in your shoes, and had a similar issue with SWR. Certainly don’t want to be back at square one!
I am currently waiting for assessment stage 1 with Greater Anglia when I am given the date. I have been waiting months.

I just done my first online assesment for MTR Crossrail and if I pass then I will be invited to do the VSE.

If I get the VSE and then fail, Could I still then go ahead with the assessment stage 1 with Greater Anglia?

Should I call each TOC and ask once I get the dates if i am moved to the next stage?

Stigy

Established Member
I am currently waiting for assessment stage 1 with Greater Anglia when I am given the date. I have been waiting months.

I just done my first online assesment for MTR Crossrail and if I pass then I will be invited to do the VSE.

If I get the VSE and then fail, Could I still then go ahead with the assessment stage 1 with Greater Anglia?

Should I call each TOC and ask once I get the dates if i am moved to the next stage?
Hi, good luck!

I would say to give them a call to find out, as it can often be unclear.

SGD5891

I've passed both stage 1 & 2 psychometrics, including VSE & MMI, so I'm assuming I won't have to re-sit any of these again?

Stigy

Established Member
I've passed both stage 1 & 2 psychometrics, including VSE & MMI, so I'm assuming I won't have to re-sit any of these again?
As long as the passes are within the time limits then you won’t need to do any resits. The VSE doesn’t typically last as long so I’m not sure if you’ll have to resist that? Depends I guess.

Micahxx

I have been invited to take the online assessment test after completing the online questionnaire yesterday..
  • Visual Search Exercise
  • M7 Situational Judgement Test. Does does any one have an idea of what to expect and how to practice for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.