• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Driver (Multiple Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin01

Hi Guys, 1st time posting. Ive been shortlisted for the assessment centre after passing SJT and VSE. I completed stage 1 written paper tests with sSWT in sept 2017. I understand there are a couple of extra tests which MTR ask u to completed but do u think i will skip stage 1 straight to computer test reaction (grey boxes). Also should i call them to tell them when i get an assessment date or will they know?

Thanks guys and all the best
Depends on if you passed to their standards. I've emailed them asking what I would have to do and they got back to me.

They put in the invite that if you fail it would turn current passes into fails also so be mindful of that too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigBus

Hello everyone,
First post :D
Just received the assessment date 11 October...anyone else with yhe same date?

simonw22

Depends on if you passed to their standards. I've emailed them asking what I would have to do and they got back to me.

They put in the invite that if you fail it would turn current passes into fails also so be mindful of that too.

Hi Colin, did they say you have to resit? Ive just got an email to assessment 3rd October and ive passes stage 1-2 and bourdon test

Lem

I’ve been told I have to resit bourdon even though I’ve passed all tests to their standards before.

Anders99

Do they ask you what your knowledge of MTR Crossrail is during the interview on the assessment day, or is more about your background and suitability as a train driver?
Not the first interview, no. The first interview as part of the 2nd assessment day is competency based. They even give you the questions they're going to ask at the beginning of the day, so you can think of some examples and write them down. Then if you get to the interview they'll ask you to elaborate on them. So you can't really prepare. If you pass this interview, then the following interview is where they ask you about MTR and crossrail.

Anders99

Hi all. Has anyone has been to the test centre in St Mary Axe, London? I've got an assessment there and was just wondering if there's any parking about? I know I'm probably looking at having to get the train anyway but just thought I'd check first.
There is paid parking around there, but I wouldn't advise driving. Parking will be very expensive, plus you have to get there for 9am I believe, so having to deal with peak time traffic isn't great when you're already stressed about an assessment day. Just get the train early and have time to chill before the day starts

Anders99

Hello everyone

This is my first post and i have recieved an assessment day one on 28th august.

Was wondering if anyone had attended and could give me an insight/tips as i am very nervous about the day as a whole.

Arch
Practise practise practise. Although the tests generally aren't the same as the practise ones, they are there to help you. Get there with plenty of time, and grab a coffee/tea and relax before the day starts. As long as you're practised, you'll have given yourself the best shot.

Mekiz79

Not the first interview, no. The first interview as part of the 2nd assessment day is competency based. They even give you the questions they're going to ask at the beginning of the day, so you can think of some examples and write them down. Then if you get to the interview they'll ask you to elaborate on them. So you can't really prepare. If you pass this interview, then the following interview is where they ask you about MTR and crossrail.

Cheers mate!

Mekiz79

Passed part 1 assessment today, was a rough day and quite brutal how people get binned throughout the day! You are constantly worrying if you've done well enough!

It went from 15 to 13 before we even started (2 people didn't make the start, 1 forgot their ID and the other was 3 minutes late).
We then went from 13 down to 4 after the first set of tests and after all the tests 3 of us passed and made it onto part 2 which is next month!

Mekiz79

3/15 is brutal, especially after passing the VSE.

Yeah. It's mainly due to the fact crossrail only pass at the enhanced grade instead of the national standard. I think everyone that failed today with crossrail met the national standard!

SAM2389

Passed part 1 assessment today, was a rough day and quite brutal how people get binned throughout the day! You are constantly worrying if you've done well enough!

It went from 15 to 13 before we even started (2 people didn't make the start, 1 forgot their ID and the other was 3 minutes late).
We then went from 13 down to 4 after the first set of tests and after all the tests 3 of us passed and made it onto part 2 which is next month!

What tips have you got for us? I’ve got my first assessment on 29th any advice would be great

Thanks and congratulations

Teddyward

Yeah. It's mainly due to the fact crossrail only pass at the enhanced grade instead of the national standard. I think everyone that failed today with crossrail met the national standard!
I did everything enhanced with arriva but failed the vse. They put it at the end instead of the beginning.

Mekiz79

What tips have you got for us? I’ve got my first assessment on 29th any advice would be great

Thanks and congratulations

Thanks mate.

Just practice the hell out of all the material you have been sent in the email and make sure you do the bourdon test alot. Try and get a good blend of speed and accuracy.

Triple check your invite letter, leave in plenty of time, get a good night's sleep before and don't forget to bring your ID stuff!!

Don't be too scared the assessor is really nice and friendly!

BigBus

Congrats!!! Which assessment was the most challenging for you...and what are the first set of test?

Mekiz79

Congrats!!! Which assessment was the most challenging for you...and what are the first set of test?

For me it was probably the last few tests. The beeps test where you have to count the number of beeps of a certain tone as they are quick and can be alot of them to count. Also the fault finding one was pretty complex.

First test is bourdon dots, then memory test (answering questions relating to a passage of text you have had 5 mins to study), after that you have the memory trainability test (the one with the dials). Once you've done them you get an hour and a half to wait around while they mark the tests!

ESONEULB

That's why I pulled my application as I'm already in a tallent pool

TONE.84

For me it was probably the last few tests. The beeps test where you have to count the number of beeps of a certain tone as they are quick and can be alot of them to count. Also the fault finding one was pretty complex.

First test is bourdon dots, then memory test (answering questions relating to a passage of text you have had 5 mins to study), after that you have the memory trainability test (the one with the dials). Once you've done them you get an hour and a half to wait around while they mark the tests!

Cheers for this mate! Got my date today for 28th September.
So is it just the 4 tests on the day?
- Group bourdon
- Memory
- Memory trainability? How’s this one work?
- and then the beeps
Is this right?
Cheers

Elliott

I was one of the unsuccessful candidates from todays group, I passed all 3 assessments that i sat from the first half of the day, 2 i managed to pass at Crossrail's enhanced level, but unfortunately i passed the Group Bourdon at national level only and therefore was sent packing.

Two things to take away from today for anyone with an upcoming assessment date, dont be LATE, go in at half past, they have a lovely seating area with help yourself coffee and tea, relax and talk to people dont stress out as you will sit group bourdon first and you want to be relaxed and focused.

I can not stress enough for group bourdon to ensure accuracy just as much as speed, as its the only assessment of the day in which you are marked DOWN for not only incorrect dots identified but also for missing dots, my mistake was i missed afew in one row, so even if you dont make any mistakes the difference between national pass level and cross rails level could be missing one set of dots.

good luck to everyone with upcoming assessments for me its back to the Picadilly Line

Mekiz79

I was one of the unsuccessful candidates from todays group, I passed all 3 assessments that i sat from the first half of the day, 2 i managed to pass at Crossrail's enhanced level, but unfortunately i passed the Group Bourdon at national level only and therefore was sent packing.

Two things to take away from today for anyone with an upcoming assessment date, dont be LATE, go in at half past, they have a lovely seating area with help yourself coffee and tea, relax and talk to people dont stress out as you will sit group bourdon first and you want to be relaxed and focused.

I can not stress enough for group bourdon to ensure accuracy just as much as speed, as its the only assessment of the day in which you are marked DOWN for not only incorrect dots identified but also for missing dots, my mistake was i missed afew in one row, so even if you dont make any mistakes the difference between national pass level and cross rails level could be missing one set of dots.

good luck to everyone with upcoming assessments for me its back to the Picadilly Line

Hi Elliott, was a pleasure meeting you and chatting outside today. Gutted you didn't make it through, wish you all the best mate.

Elliott

Hi Elliott, was a pleasure meeting you and chatting outside today. Gutted you didn't make it through, wish you all the best mate.

Hey bud, congratulations, really hope you go all the way ! I have private messaged you.

SAM2389

Sorry to hear and many thanks for the tips!

In what order were the tests in and do you know what the enhanced mark to achieve is?

Thanks

Apex

Damn, this all sounds quite brutal but understandable given the job. Congrats to all that have passed and condolences to all that fell short, have got mine in a month... o_O

Quick question however. If you fail for crossrail's 'enhanced' mark but pass the national standard, does this take away from one of your "lives/oppurtunities" of becoming and driver or is it purely a case of failing at Crossrail's standards?

Great tips on here also, anymore would be much appreciated!

JayCeeOhh

Hi All,
Thought I'd say hello, having read through all these pages as I'm awaiting a date for my assessment centre day at St Mary's Axe (trying for Maidenhead). Currently working through one of the two booklets that were sent to me (all 82 pages o_O). Not certain if it's a good thing or not but I've just had a "discussion" with my wife who was helping me with the TEA-Occ ex 2 as I said the words "dog" and "dogs" were different and therefore had a different answer to the booklet. Not sure MTR are looking for pedantry as a major skill in their drivers :)
Good luck all,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.