• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Driver (Multiple Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joliver

Hi all,

I have my assessment day on the 30th of this month. In the email there are 4 tests which they recommend practicing for as these will come up on the day (TRP Part 1 & 2, Group Bourdon, DFFT, TEA OCC). However, in the practice pack there are a lot more tests mentioned and also an MMI.

Can anybody clarify which tests exactly we will be required to do and if there will be an MMI? We'll be there from 9-5 so I cant imagine how it can only be 4 tests for the entire day...
MMI is at the end of stage two. I wouldn't worry about that yet. Allow all day, you have to wait while they mark your tests. If you pass the tests you sit in the morning then you move onto the afternoon session etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emma99

Hi all,

I have my assessment day on the 30th of this month. In the email there are 4 tests which they recommend practicing for as these will come up on the day (TRP Part 1 & 2, Group Bourdon, DFFT, TEA OCC). However, in the practice pack there are a lot more tests mentioned and also an MMI.

Can anybody clarify which tests exactly we will be required to do and if there will be an MMI? We'll be there from 9-5 so I cant imagine how it can only be 4 tests for the entire day...

The pack contains practice material for Stage 1 and Stage 2. You only need to practice for the tests they have told you about (that you’ve outlined above). The other tests are for Stage 2.

Kalbo

Hey all.

I have my assessment with First SWT this Wednesday. Can anyone please tell me if the GLOP test is still used? Also, any tips for the day will be greatly received. I've been practising hard with the bourdon test as I've been told it's a bit of a bugger and I've improved on that. I now understand what's involved with the dials test. My main concern is the GLOP test and the best way to research it's processes to get a clearer picture. There has been some great threads on this forum but at times a little contradicting. Not sure how il do with the 2hand coordination test or the flashing rectangle so will have to rely on fate for that. Any help would be fantastic and very good luck to anybody who's preparing for their assessments/interviews etc :)

Joliver

Hello Mabs I am new to this forum and I am exactly in the same position as you. I have been following a few of these threads.

Basically I applied with MTR Crossrail recently and I passed the SJT test and failed the VSE test. I know this has been mentioned somewhere before but there is still mixed answers from different people.

I spoke to the OPC they have advised any TOC's that require the enhanced pass mark for the VSE that will be your one life and also you need to wait for 6 months before reapplying. I wanted to apply for Arriva who are just currently recruiting and I spoke to their HR team over the phone who have advised that they will require the enhanced pass mark for the VSE and it will be tested in house so basically there is no point for me to apply for Arriva as I have too wait 6 months.

Now the confusing thing is i also applied for Great anglia and passed the initial online test and waiting like everyone else for the next stage. I spoke to Great anglia they have advised me they also do the VSE test and if I have failed previously then I need to wait 6 months but on previous threads people are saying Great anglia dont require VSE test please can someone clarify this because there is a lot of conflicting answers I actually spoke to Great Anglia over the phone I managed to find thier number which unfortunately I cant give out here and the person on the phone advised that the VSE test is required.

Lastly can someone please tell me how can I private message people on this forum I am new to this forum and I cant see any option? Mabs I am trying to Private message you so maybe we can swap some notes but there is no option to do this can you maybee message me? thanks
If you've spoken to Greater Anglia and they have confirmed they use the VSE, surely that's your answer?

ruby

Hi Folks,

Quick question, I didn't get past the questionnaire stage for MTR Crossrail and my email says I can't apply to MTR for another 6 months, do you think this affects my application with any other rail company.

Thanks

LM888

Hi Folks,

Quick question, I didn't get past the questionnaire stage for MTR Crossrail and my email says I can't apply to MTR for another 6 months, do you think this affects my application with any other rail company.

Thanks
That 6 month wait will only be for MTR

Kalbo

Hey all.

I have my assessment with First SWT this Wednesday. Can anyone please tell me if the GLOP test is still used? Also, any tips for the day will be greatly received. I've been practising hard with the bourdon test as I've been told it's a bit of a bugger and I've improved on that. I now understand what's involved with the dials test. My main concern is the GLOP test and the best way to research it's processes to get a clearer picture. There has been some great threads on this forum but at times a little contradicting. Not sure how il do with the 2hand coordination test or the flashing rectangle so will have to rely on fate for that. Any help would be fantastic and very good luck to anybody who's preparing for their assessments/interviews etc :)
Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it!!

Mabs

Yes I have spoken to them over the phone and previously via chat. I have had two different answers. Over chat they tell me it won't effect my application and they dont use the VSE test over the phone they told me something different. I am 100% if I call or chat to them again they will give me a different answer. Thats why I joined this forum to see what others are saying.

I am also waiting for an Assessment date with Greater Anglia and I have now also applied for the trainee train driver position with Arriva.

I have decided to keep my mouth shut and let them find out I didn't pass my VSE with MTR Crossrail.

If I tell them, They might just cancel my assesment when it doesn't have to be cancelled.

Joliver

Yes I have spoken to them over the phone and previously via chat. I have had two different answers. Over chat they tell me it won't effect my application and they dont use the VSE test over the phone they told me something different. I am 100% if I call or chat to them again they will give me a different answer. Thats why I joined this forum to see what others are saying.
Gotcha. Try looking in this thread, you may get your answer in here. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/greater-anglia-vacancies-trainee-mainline-driver.180683/

dan1985

Is this the opc VSE test? What was it like, has anyone found any practice material for it?

Micahxx

Thanks for the link I have seen this thread before its helpful.

On a diffrent note the VSE test which I failed with MTR I have asked the OPC for feedback they won't give any feedback. Please anyone that has done the test and most importantly passed it can they advise on the following:

1. Part 3 of the test sometimes you get semi circles on the track and also sometimes you get extra dot which is orange coloured, are you meant to click your mouse when you see this? are they faults basically?

2. from what I remember I think on part 2 (the shapes part) I got around 4-6 wrong and on part 3 I got approx 8 wrong 6 of which where for the left hand side the shape part can someone who has passed please advise or remember how many they got wrong so I can at least compare my results to understand roughly how many mistakes you can make before passing.

3. As I have one last try to do the VSE in the future is there anywhere I can practise this? any websites I'm even willing to pay. Im only talking about practising mainly part 3.

thanks all.
I passed it but no one can really tell you how many they get wrong, keeping tab on that means you are not fully concentrating on the tasks at hand. But what i noticed was that every one you get wrong always pop up again which i think its like a second chance i guess.
When the dot turns red or orange as you call it, it is a fault.

Itchy_Butt

Thank you for that what about when some circles change to half basically not the next circle the dot is going jump to next but sometimes the circles which the dot has already passed change in to half is this also a fault? thanks again

As far I'm aware, anytime the circle changes in any way (colour, shape etc.) its a fault. Basically, the circle should stay the exact same in appearance and only move forward one at a time. If either of these things changes in any way, it's a fault

Micahxx

Thank you for that what about when some circles change to half basically not the next circle the dot is going jump to next but sometimes the circles which the dot has already passed change in to half is this also a fault? thanks again
Everything is fine when the dot moves from one stop to the immediate next stop, but when it skips the stop, turns red and any other activity other than the normal routine of moving from one stop to next is classified as fault.

izik

Even if it stops for longer period of time at one spot its fault. I pass that test, you need to focus on left part (test3) you will make mistakes but the think is how fast you will recover when that dot and symbols will stary" playing ".

Wroyal

Hi thanks all for the responses.

Please can someone confirm this is correct if the dot stops at one spot for a long period of time and when it moves it does not skip a stop but moves normally to the next stop is this counted as an error?

if you guys watch this Youtube video:

on the comment section someone asked the same question he was told that this is not a fault? here is his reply:

"No, it is not an error when it stops for extra time. Think of it as a train stopping at stations. When it skips, it means the driver forgot to stop at a station, therefore it is an error"

Please can everyone confirm this as I really dont want to fail again I only have one last chance remaining. thanks all.
Once it skipes

izik

At the start of the test it mentioned that train its moving at a steady speed and any abnormal behaviour its an error. So i marked that and i passed. Maybe I'm wrong.

vantime

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone else still waiting for their results for the first online test?
I submitted mine 20 working days today and have still not heard anything back.
Called MTR Crossrail HR team who advised me to contact The OPC, spoke to them who in return asked me to email my enquiry.
Fingers crossed I get a response quickly.
For anyone else that needs to contact them the email address is [email protected].
Hi MayMay,
Did you hear back from the OPC?
No joy here yet.

Hi thanks all for the responses.

Please can someone confirm this is correct if the dot stops at one spot for a long period of time and when it moves it does not skip a stop but moves normally to the next stop is this counted as an error?

if you guys watch this Youtube video:

on the comment section someone asked the same question he was told that this is not a fault? here is his reply:

"No, it is not an error when it stops for extra time. Think of it as a train stopping at stations. When it skips, it means the driver forgot to stop at a station, therefore it is an error"

Please can everyone confirm this as I really dont want to fail again I only have one last chance remaining. thanks all.
Just focus on the skips, reversals and colour changes and you'll be fine. I didn't click when it was moving slow.

To everyone coming for their assessment on tuesday, remember not to be late and to bring all ID. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.