• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Crossrail Trainee Train Driver Old Oak Common

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiberiu

Hello all. I m waiting for my manager interview on 24 October. Can anyone tell me what questions they ask, and some hints on what is good to say? Thanks

tai

Hello all. I m waiting for my manager interview on 24 October. Can anyone tell me what questions they ask, and some hints on what is good to say? Thanks

Hello mate,

I did my Driver manager interview a few months ago and I’m happy to say I have successfully passed.

The questions that I can remember being asked were :

similar competency based questions asked as you did in your MMI interview.

Questions around MTR corporation and the history of MTR.

Questions around crossrail and the different stages of crossrail.

Learn about the new 345 cross rail Trains

The driver managers were really nice, it was a really informal interview, then trying to get to know you as a person. Just be yourself and be confident.

Good luck

Tai

tiberiu

Hello mate,

I did my Driver manager interview a few months ago and I’m happy to say I have successfully passed.

The questions that I can remember being asked were :

similar competency based questions asked as you did in your MMI interview.

Questions around MTR corporation and the history of MTR.

Questions around crossrail and the different stages of crossrail.

Learn about the new 345 cross rail Trains

The driver managers were really nice, it was a really informal interview, then trying to get to know you as a person. Just be yourself and be confident.

Good luck

Tai
Thanks a lot mate for your help!

niahay1985

How did your interview go? I have got mine next month, any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Siobhan

Hello, is anyone still waiting for their line manager interview outcome?!
My partner had his interview at end of November, and still hasn’t been told! I know we’ve had Christmas and New Year in the middle but they said he’d hear in 2 weeks!!

He’s contacted them a few times now and they said they were running behind the first time and then no reply the 2nd time. Is there still hope?!

niahay1985

Hi Niahay how did it go? Have you had your outcome from your interview now too?
Hi Siobhan,

It went ok i think, but was very difficult to tell how I did. I'm also still waiting for the outcome. I'm guessing they've just been inundated and extremely busy so tell don't lose heart just yet!

Best of luck

Siobhan

Hi Siobhan,

It went ok i think, but was very difficult to tell how I did. I'm also still waiting for the outcome. I'm guessing they've just been inundated and extremely busy so tell don't lose heart just yet!

Best of luck

Thanks for the reply!! Hopefully the old ‘no news is good news’ approach then!! Best of luck to you too!!

Shylem

Hi Guys

I rang Toni Honiton to ask as she did my interview with another driver manager. I dont feel confident as she more or less told me to speak to HR/Recruitment whom then said they are waiting for results from the DM's.

So I basically got caught in a loop backed with the typical template of numerous interviews and it being Christmas.

Sylvester

Hi Siobhan,

Like your partner, I had my DM interview at the beginning of December and was told that they'd get back to me within 10 - 14 days.

I emailed Toni for an update after 3 weeks; but got no response.

I finally received a phone call from them yesterday stating that my application had been successful but at present, there are no available training places; as soon as a space should become available, they'll contact me.

So my point is: if you haven't heard anything as yet, don't give up hope. They're most probably really busy.

Shylem

I got a call yesterday too and have been told I am on standby.

I have a friend that passed his early November and got a date for his classes to start September. So unless there are going tl be drop outs I wont be starting before September

tommmy387

Hi guys,

A quick question on behalf of my better half... can anyone who has already started the course please shed some light on the structure of the course?

1. How long is the theory classroom based part? Avarage start and finishing times ? Assesments every Friday?

2. Do you get any AL in between theory and driving with your DI?How many hours/how long “on avarage” till you are ready for your partC?

3. Do you follow DI’s roster i.e. holidays (two weeks every 5th week?)

Any replies much appreciated.

Last edited:

mike345

Hi guys,

A quick question on behalf of my better half... can anyone who has already started the course please shed some light on the structure of the course?

1. How long is the theory classroom based part? Avarage start and finishing times ? Assesments every Friday?

2. Do you get any AL in between theory and driving with your DI?How many hours/how long “on avarage” till you are ready for your partC?

3. Do you follow DI’s roster i.e. holidays (two weeks every 5th week?)

Any replies much appreciated.

Hello mate,

1), The theory based stuff is generally Mon to Fri, 9am sharp start till about 3.30pm. Training lasts an average of 9 months, a mixture of classroom based rules work, learning traction at a depot, and driving hours. You get assessed after you’ve finished each module, roughly every 3-4 weeks depending on the size of the module.

2), You are not allowed to take A/L whilst training, and they are strict on this. Any accrued A/L can be taken once you have passed out. You will get time off over Xmas, however you can’t book days off until you’ve qualified.

3), You will follow a DI/DTLs roster, however if they go on holiday or free days, you will be allocated to another DI/DTL. You won’t get any time off (other than your DI/DTLs rostered rest days) whilst doing your driving. At this point you won’t want time off as you’ll want to accumulate your driving hours ASAP.

Mike.

tommmy387

Hello mate,

1), The theory based stuff is generally Mon to Fri, 9am sharp start till about 3.30pm. Training lasts an average of 9 months, a mixture of classroom based rules work, learning traction at a depot, and driving hours. You get assessed after you’ve finished each module, roughly every 3-4 weeks depending on the size of the module.

2), You are not allowed to take A/L whilst training, and they are strict on this. Any accrued A/L can be taken once you have passed out. You will get time off over Xmas, however you can’t book days off until you’ve qualified.

3), You will follow a DI/DTLs roster, however if they go on holiday or free days, you will be allocated to another DI/DTL. You won’t get any time off (other than your DI/DTLs rostered rest days) whilst doing your driving. At this point you won’t want time off as you’ll want to accumulate your driving hours ASAP.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Very much appreciate your reply. Looks like it is a little bit different to what my training was with GTR, where we got one week AL break in between rules and traction. (it really came in handy)

Could you just clarify one more thing for me please? Your rules are done at Liverpool street and for your traction you go to your depot? is that correct? (side question: you do 315s and 345s?)

If that’s the case, how long are you at Liverpool Str for?

We are just trying to suss out best way to figure out childcare and etc.

Again, thank you very much for your reply.

mike345

Hi Tommy,

It’s quite a slog at times, other than a week off at Xmas there isn’t any opportunity to take a break.

You’re correct, rules are taught at Liverpool St and traction is done at Gidea or Old Oak depots.

Rules takes roughly 5 months in the classroom, traction at a depot lasts 3/4 weeks, handling takes 3 months. You’ve got to reach 175 hours with a DI/DTL before you can be assessed for competencey. If you’re already a qualified driver from another TOC you’ll just do a conversion course.

East based drivers are trained on 315’s and 345’s, West based drivers are trained on 360’s and 345’s.

Training can be quite rigid as regards to time off, however once you’ve finished you’ll have plenty of time on your hands!

Mike.

tommmy387

Hi Tommy,

It’s quite a slog at times, other than a week off at Xmas there isn’t any opportunity to take a break.

You’re correct, rules are taught at Liverpool St and traction is done at Gidea or Old Oak depots.

Rules takes roughly 5 months in the classroom, traction at a depot lasts 3/4 weeks, handling takes 3 months. You’ve got to reach 175 hours with a DI/DTL before you can be assessed for competencey. If you’re already a qualified driver from another TOC you’ll just do a conversion course.

East based drivers are trained on 315’s and 345’s, West based drivers are trained on 360’s and 345’s.

Training can be quite rigid as regards to time off, however once you’ve finished you’ll have plenty of time on your hands!

Mike.

Thanks a lot Mike. Really helped us a lot.

mrbubbles

Hi Tommy,

Mike.

Hello Mike

Would you please be able to confirm at what stage the pay increases from the starting point?

Thanks very much

mike345

Hello Mike

Would you please be able to confirm at what stage the pay increases from the starting point?

Thanks very much

Hello mate.

The training pay is just over 27k until you qualify (roughly 9 months). Once qualified the pay rises to just over 42k. Then 1 year after you’ve qualified the pay rises to 57k. All the pay brackets will increase in April.

Mike.

Shylem

I am in a serious dilema. Its slighrlt off topic.

I am on standby to until at least Sept 2018 for a trainning course. It may happen sooner or maybe not until 2019.

I have now been invited to a final interview for London Arriva. Both depots are in touching distance of each other. Benefits are identical more or less.

Now I really want to be part of MTR as thats where my heart is but if I pass Arriva Rail I can start as early as March or April. Thats over 6 months head start.

Dont really know what to do if I was to pass my final interview.

Anyone please give me sound advice.

mrbubbles

Hello mate.

The training pay is just over 27k until you qualify (roughly 9 months). Once qualified the pay rises to just over 42k. Then 1 year after you’ve qualified the pay rises to 57k. All the pay brackets will increase in April.

Mike.

Thanks very much mate, I appreciate it.

mrbubbles

I am in a serious dilema. Its slighrlt off topic.

I am on standby to until at least Sept 2018 for a trainning course. It may happen sooner or maybe not until 2019.

I have now been invited to a final interview for London Arriva. Both depots are in touching distance of each other. Benefits are identical more or less.

Now I really want to be part of MTR as thats where my heart is but if I pass Arriva Rail I can start as early as March or April. Thats over 6 months head start.

Dont really know what to do if I was to pass my final interview.

Anyone please give me sound advice.

If commuting distance and benefits are all the same, it just comes down to what's more important to you - starting sooner with Arriva or later with MTR.

niahay1985

Thanks for the reply!! Hopefully the old ‘no news is good news’ approach then!! Best of luck to you too!!
Hi Siobhan,

I got a phone call yesterday from MTR and thankfully I was successful at interview. Like the others above, I've not been given a date but been told to expect the later part of the year for a start date. They did say they've been extremely busy. Fingers crossed for your partner if they've not heard yet

Aspirin80

Hi Siobhan,

I got a phone call yesterday from MTR and thankfully I was successful at interview. Like the others above, I've not been given a date but been told to expect the later part of the year for a start date. They did say they've been extremely busy. Fingers crossed for your partner if they've not heard yet

Hi niahay
Do you mind telling me when you had your DM Interview.
Thanks

sharpinf

I had an interview at the end of November and got a call a couple of days ago from them - similar to niahay I fortunately was successful and was confirmed that it's a position and not any form of 'talent pool'. Again I've not been given a date but been told that they'll send something through the post in the next few weeks just as a confirmation of passing - the waiting begins and best of luck Aspirin!

Aspirin80

I had an interview at the end of November and got a call a couple of days ago from them - similar to niahay I fortunately was successful and was confirmed that it's a position and not any form of 'talent pool'. Again I've not been given a date but been told that they'll send something through the post in the next few weeks just as a confirmation of passing - the waiting begins and best of luck Aspirin!

Hi sharpinf
Congratulations, must be a good feeling succeeding in such a hard and challenging selection.
I have called HR and they said to expect an email sometime next week.
I just hope to receive a good news.
Congratulations to everyone who made it...

Ricardo44

Hi Guys
Has anyone who had an interview in December on January had a reply yet confirming you have or haven't got the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.