• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MTR Trainee Driver - Old Oak Common (14/05/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LouG

If you fail the VSE or M7SJT, does that mean you can't apply for 6 months? Does it count as 1 life?

Chuchu

If you fail the VSE or M7SJT, does that mean you can't apply for 6 months? Does it count as 1 life?
From what I know, the online tests do not count towards your two lives, but you will not be able to retake them with the same company for 6 months. I know someone who failed an online test with one TOC and then passed that same test after 1 month with another TOC so it does not look like it will keep you from going ahead with others. Then again, I'm not working for OPC so this is just what I know from other people's experience.

RobP1

I just got the invite to the next stage from the opc
  • Visual Search Exercise – 60 mins
  • · M7 Situational Judgement Test – 60 mins
Has anyone had any experience with these before this is my first time
There is a thread on here about the VSE https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/virgin-train-test-opc-visual-search-exercise.161844/

That seems very similar to a practice tool I purchased https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/product/dynamic-visual-search-test/.

Seems a bit of a beast but going to be practicing the next couple of days to get my speeds up, I have to do mine by the 2nd of June. My advice, don't rush into the tests, lots of practice before doing the VSE. As for the SJT cant help there but its more of the same from the first SJT, think safety rules and Customer and the job spec.

Good luck

There is a thread on here about the VSE https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/virgin-train-test-opc-visual-search-exercise.161844/

That seems very similar to a practice tool I purchased https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/product/dynamic-visual-search-test/.

Seems a bit of a beast but going to be practicing the next couple of days to get my speeds up, I have to do mine by the 2nd of June. My advice, don't rush into the tests, lots of practice before doing the VSE. As for the SJT cant help there but its more of the same from the first SJT, think safety rules and Customer and the job spec.

Good luck
Thanks mate for the advice, that looks like a good plan. I was always sceptical about buying these products but if it gives me that extra 5-10% then it’s worth it’s weight in gold I suppose. good luck to all as I think these tests sift through a lot of applications

Chuchu

It does look like they're doing dmi before assessments :

"Selection Process:
Following on from an application, providing you meet the requirements you will then be invited to complete a series of online assessments, interviews and in house assessments with The OPC who MTR Elizabeth line work in partnership with for Trainee Driver Recruitment."

Gs1

Had to withdraw my application. Was not allowed to do vse twice for different toc within 6 months.

CamdenDave

Had to withdraw my application. Was not allowed to do vse twice for different toc within 6 months.
That's a shame. Can they not just use your results from the VSE you have done in the last 6 months though?

EvoUK

Just been invited for dmi, they said its over a video call. If I pass that then I will be invited for assessment centre.
I guess they changed the assessment format this time round. Previously DMI would be the final after assessment centres 1 & 2.

Time to start doing my research for what to expect and try to smash it. Good luck everyone else! I really thought I was gonna fall at that vse hurdle.

Is MTR advanced level or national standard? Just out of curiosity

Chuchu

Time to start doing my research for what to expect and try to smash it. Good luck everyone else! I really thought I was gonna fall at that vse hurdle.

I've found this on another thread :

" MTR has the highest enhanced standards followed by ARL. The OPC confirmed this few weeks ago. "

This was posted last year.

Celrocks

Hi have you finished your other assessment?

You have to pass at advanced level.

CamdenDave

I got a pass from my vse and m7 sjt. They seem to be moving to dmi next before the assessment centre stages.
Got the same email. Video DMI this week followed by OPC assessment day if successful. Time to get studying the info they highlighted in the email!

Suley91

Has any 1 did their video DMI? Can any one help with what question are asked.
Looking to do it tomorrow, probably ask, why MTR?, why you want to be a train driver? questions on what ETCS is and what you know about it, and then the rest is a mystery.

Chuchu

Looking to do it tomorrow, probably ask, why MTR?, why you want to be a train driver? questions on what ETCS is and what you know about it, and then the rest is a mystery.
Maybe a "tell me about yourself" question to start with. Also, look up crossrail stages ( maybe an updated version with all the delays ). Good luck everyone ! ;)

Last edited:

CamdenDave

Is there anyone on here due to start training for the July 2021 batch?
In the DMI invite email received for this particular job posting, it states: "Due to recent updates, the initial start date that was planned for September has now changed, instead we will be entering all successful candidates from the process into a holding pool pending the next available course".

I'm not sure what recent updates they mean, but it's a shame it's being pushed back.

EvoUK

In the DMI invite email received for this particular job posting, it states: "Due to recent updates, the initial start date that was planned for September has now changed, instead we will be entering all successful candidates from the process into a holding pool pending the next available course".

I'm not sure what recent updates they mean, but it's a shame it's being pushed back.
From what I have heard (current driver), another training group is due to start next month (ppl have also been selected).
My guess would be that additional training groups were planned but delayed for whatever reason. However, its still a positive sign that they are continuing with recruitment as this hopefully means just a temp delay of plans rather than cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.