• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mudchute to Heathrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it OK to ask a London Tube question here? If so, the map would seem to show numerous options for getting from Mudchute on the DLR line to Heathrow, but we are making this trip on a Sunday morning with wheeled luggage, so minimizing long walks and stairs would obviously be helpful. I came up with these two, but I'm sure the advisors here may have better ideas: 1) Mudchute-Canary Wharf on the DLR, Canary Wharf-Green Park on the Jubilee, Green Park-Heathrow on Piccadilly. 2) Mudchute to Bank on the DLR, walk to Monument, Monument to Paddington on the Circle Line, and Paddington to Heathrow on Heathrow Express or Connect. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Changing at Canary Wharf is not such a good move: it's quite a walk between the DLR and tube (which are at entirely separate stations): there are lifts at both however. If you do go that way, I'd advise getting off the DLR at Heron Quays instead - it's slightly nearer to Canary Wharf tube station (lifts there too).

It's also a pretty mammoth walk, by tube standards, between the Jubilee and Piccadilly lines at Green Park. (A long tunnel, with white, Jubilee silver and Piccadilly blue tiles: when you start at the Piccadilly end the tiles are mostly blue, but silver takes over as you get closer to the Jubilee...which at least gives you some idea of how far you have left to go). There ARE lifts at the Jubilee end, but I'm not that there are at the Piccadilly end. Anyway,I always used to make a point of avoiding that change when I lived in London and had luggage (there was an easy and obvious alternative for my usual journey there).

And the District/Circle platforms at Paddington are not so close to the Heathrow ones there, either (some narrow passageways too)....

Of course making plans for weekend, and especially Sunday travel in London is difficult when one doesn't know exactly which lines are closed on a given date for engineering works (although this information should be available, somewhere, on the TfL website)...

Your 2nd route (Mudchute-Bank/Monument-Paddington) sounds much preferable to the first: you'd have two short flights of steps to go up between Monument and Bank, and an escalator, but nothing too challenging, hopefully.

Alternatively you could get the District line from Monument to Hammersmith, where there is a cross-platform interchange for the Piccadilly line to Heathrow. (Barons Court too). That would almost certainly work out as the most luggage-friendly route.

causton

Established Member
Personally I would be lazy and go for the one with the least difficult changes!
I would go to Tower Gateway/Bank on the DLR (Tower Gateway may be closer?) then get a District line train to Ealing Broadway (changing to Piccadilly at Barons Court/Hammersmith is cross-platform and may be quicker?) and then getting the Connect from Ealing Broadway. Of course if you do that you may wish to save money and just get the Piccadilly from Barons Court/Hammersmith all the way to the airport!

MCR247

Established Member
Pretty sure all Lewishan DLR trains go to Bank?

AndyLandy

Established Member
What about heading South to Greenwich or Lewisham and getting a suburban rail service into London? Not sure if that'll actually help, but it's easy to look at a tube map and forget that there are plenty of National Rail routes that might help you out.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What about heading South to Greenwich or Lewisham and getting a suburban rail service into London? Not sure if that'll actually help, but it's easy to look at a tube map and forget that there are plenty of National Rail routes that might help you out.

This wouldn't be particularly straightforward unfortunately, you'd end up on the tube regardless, the frequencies on National Rail are pretty poor in comparison, and it'd be more expensive.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm a bit worried about giving advice here, because I'm the kind of person who enjoys taking very convoluted routes across London just for the sake of it, but my advice for a simple and pretty easy journey would have to be:

-Head for the District Line (but not a Wimbledon bound train)
-Use the cross platform interchange at Hammersmith to the Piccadilly Line.
-All the way to Heathrow on the Picc.

Your easiest access to the District line is probably at Bank/Monument by DLR.

This advice is pretty useless if there are any Engineering Works, and be aware that on Sunday morning service doesn't start quite as early as on other days. With a date/time we could probably be more useful.

JGR

There aren't any engineering works scheduled on lines that you'll want to use this upcoming weekend.

Going via Lewisham or Grenwich will involve even more stairs/walking, so I wouldn't bother personally.

The change at Bank-Monument is easy, Tower Hill/Gateway slightly less so but still not difficult.

AndrewP

This is not a simple journey and I would most likely get DLR to Heron Quays, Jubilee to Westminster, District to Barons Court and then Piccadilly to Heathrow

or

DLR to Heron Quays, Jubilee to Baker Street, Bakerloo to Paddington and then HEX to Heathrow

A lot would depend on my mood.

Remember if there are problems on the Jubilee - common - you can get DLR to Stratford and Central to Holborn (for Piccadilly) or Ealing Broadway (for Connect)

Clip

Established Member
Pretty sure all Lewishan DLR trains go to Bank?

They do but its an easy change at Shadwell for a TOG train - normally about 5 mins behind it on a sunday IIRC.

IMO stay clear of the Jubilee - its again down right now so Id go to TOG and the to tower hill - only a 5 min walk then the rest of the route explained above.

LE Greys

Established Member
IMO, a wait at Paddington (where you can get some tea) and an air-conditioned Heathrow Connect (cheaper than HEX and passes Old Oak, then runs at high level) would be a lot better than miles and miles of Piccadilly (which is almost entirely in a cutting where you can't see anything). If you do that, you can get as far as Hayes & Harlington on a Travelcard/Oyster before having to buy the ticket through to the airport. If you're in a tearing hurry, go for HEX though.

So to get to Paddington to pick up Heathrow Connect or Express, maybe take the DLR to Tower Gateway and then the Circle Line to Paddington? This will be Sunday morning, July 22, with luggage. Thank you.

LE Greys

Established Member
So to get to Paddington to pick up Heathrow Connect or Express, maybe take the DLR to Tower Gateway and then the Circle Line to Paddington? This will be Sunday morning, July 22, with luggage. Thank you.

Well, I'd advise you to take the clockwise version of the Circle if you're going via Paddington (from Tower Hill, it makes little difference in time). That leads to a nice-flat passageway and a short escalator. The anti-clockwise version leaves you in the main-line section of the station with a long flight of steps up to the footbridge and usually an awkward climb on the way down. It'll probably be marked as 'westbound' at Tower Hill.

If you're coming back at any point, it really makes no difference as there's an awkward climb either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.