• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi-Modal Interview Autism Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I've recently been invited to a Stage 2 assessment for a driver role which I'm aware includes a Multi-Modal Interview with a psychologist. A couple of years back I was diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism and I disclosed this to the TOC/OPC at the start of my application. I have not to date asked for any reasonable adjustments.

I imagine that the psychologist will be made aware of my condition but I'm concerned that if they are not, there is a possibility that they may misinterpret one or two things (body language/slightly monotone voice etc.) and this may affect my score.

I'm thinking of contacting them to ask about it but I don't want to patronise them or be seen to milk it. Can I please ask for advice on this one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
Hmmm...good question. Not knowing much about the condition I couldn't really suggest what (if any) adjustments could/would be made or how this would impact this particular part of the assessment process.

However this should not be a barrier to you getting the job anyway. I imagine you would end up being assessed similarly to everyone else. They would still require the appropriate evidence/attributes and examples of dealing with emergency situations, being alone for long periods, dealing with pressures etc just like everyone else. As long as you have the evidence and can deliver it in a calm manner then you should be fine.

Good luck! :)

SPADTrap

Established Member
I've recently been invited to a Stage 2 assessment for a driver role which I'm aware includes a Multi-Modal Interview with a psychologist. A couple of years back I was diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism and I disclosed this to the TOC/OPC at the start of my application. I have not to date asked for any reasonable adjustments.

I imagine that the psychologist will be made aware of my condition but I'm concerned that if they are not, there is a possibility that they may misinterpret one or two things (body language/slightly monotone voice etc.) and this may affect my score.

I'm thinking of contacting them to ask about it but I don't want to patronise them or be seen to milk it. Can I please ask for advice on this one?

If my memory serves correct there wasn't actually psychologist present in my MMI, unless the interviewer themselves did that part, so try not to worry too much. Be yourself :)

Best of luck!

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
All interviewers go on a stringent course on interview techniques and this includes reading body language etc. I have never known a Psychologist to be present at an MMI unless this is an isolated case just for your interview.

Mumbo

I'd imagine every TOC has their own way of doing things but there was not psychologist at the GTR MMI I had recently, just the one chap and I.

leaffall

I'd imagine every TOC has their own way of doing things but there was not psychologist at the GTR MMI I had recently, just the one chap and I.

Yeah, but isn't that chap from the OPC - The Occupational Psychology Centre ?

Although I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they are all bona fide psychologists.

As to the OP; there's nothing to stop you mentioning it, but regardless of whether the interviewer is a qualified psychologist or not they are highly qualified and adept at understanding people so I wouldn't concern yourself at the thought you might not get a fair trial, so to speak.

on track

Was the chap carrying out the MMI from the OPC ?, My understanding is that all of the consultants employed by the OPC are Chartered Psychologists or business psychologists

Economist

Thanks for the advice everyone, I thought I had read somewhere that the interview was with a psychologist, though I must be mistaken. I probably won't mention the autism diagnosis explicitly unless they ask me about it. Since it is on my application form and at Stage 1 we completed forms with personal details they should know already.

As W230 has said, there aren't really any tangible adjustments for the MMI, it just seems to be a case of having the experience and being prepared, so the competency examples are what I'll focus on.

Edit: I've passed, thanks for the advice folks!

Last edited:

Economist

Whilst I managed to pass Stage 2 (including the MMI) with a TOC which requires Enhanced Passes, I didn't get past the Driver Manager Interview. Feedback was that I was great at everything except the "working with others" bit. I should add that this was a TOC which uses the OTDPQ questionnaire from the OPC.

I will likely have another DM interview coming up and will keep applying to TOCs when suitable vacancies arise. I've never failed a technical interview but I do find that, despite significant improvements, people skills is my weakest area.

When I apply for trainee driver roles, I always mention my condition on the application form though I don't usually ask for reasonable adjustments, since despite the legislation against discrimination etc. humans are humans and whilst they may not consciously discriminate the thoughts (and sometimes, doubts) about autism will often be in their minds.

Can I please ask whether most of the TOCs are really big on the people-skills side these days (I appreciate that some will be more than others)?

redbutton

IIRC I read somewhere (possibly the Group Standards) that in order to be qualified to administer the MMI one has to have a basic psychology qualification. That's not to say that the person would be a "psychologist" in the common sense of the word, just that the MMI assessor's qualification has a psychology element.

Status
Not open for further replies.