• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi-stop routing tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen Mill

Is there such a beast ? Eg: I want to do a route for spotting purposes but I also regularly do such trips and a google-map type rail-route planner with on-board costing would be a real timesaver for planning.
Route :-
Yeovil Junction- Oxford-Banbury-Aylesbury-Marylebone-Clapham Junction-Yeovil Junction.
This would be a single day trip.
This is mainly a "Chiltern" trip but I wish to drop in on CLJ for Southern units.

Obviously I can do this as a series of single-trip look-ups but not only is it time consuming , the cost options are bewildering (for me at any rate).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The National Rail website lets you choose up to 3 via points for one journey and you can choose up to 2 hours extra to change trains. (Click "More options...")

Pen Mill

The National Rail website lets you choose up to 3 via points for one journey and you can choose up to 2 hours extra to change trains. (Click "More options...")

Really sorry , but I'm banging my head with this one !!
I put in YVJ to SHE via BAN , MYB & CLJ
and got the error , station already input (Banbury).
I substituted Oxford for BAN and got the same message.
I reset all and got the same.

I've run into this problem some months ago.

Pen Mill

Last edited:

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Another disadvantage of NRE's system is that the three via points also work as via X or via Y or via Z, not via X and via Y and via Z.

Pen Mill

You might find the various routeing tools available at www.trainscanbecheaper.info useful.

I did Yeovil to Sherborne (next station up the line because A to A seems to be a no-no.)
Via Banbury,Marylebone & Clapham Junction.
but as I'm way outside any permitted route , I'm getting this message:-

"There are no possible fares between these two stations on the trains you have selected. This could be a bug in this system or it could be that you can't actually buy a ticket to do the journey you want - this can happen sometimes."

EDIT : Forgot to thank yourself and Yorkie , I am grateful even though I'm not quite seeing the solution yet! Thank you !

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
National Rail Enquiries is usually very good at offering two tickets for one journey.

However it cannot cope with a journey that requires three (or more) tickets for one journey, which would be a very rare event for a "regular" customer ;)

Rather than look up Yeovil to Sherborne via all those places, you'll need to break it down into at least two, if not three, searches.

If a journey is available on one ticket, NRE will not offer two tickets. When it does offer two tickets, these may or may not be the cheapest combination of tickets.

There is a greater chance of Trainscanbecheaper.info finding the cheapest combination of tickets, than NRE.

Pen Mill

National Rail Enquiries is usually very good at offering two tickets for one journey.

However it cannot cope with a journey that requires three (or more) tickets for one journey, which would be a very rare event for a "regular" customer ;)

Rather than look up Yeovil to Sherborne via all those places, you'll need to break it down into at least two, if not three, searches.

If a journey is available on one ticket, NRE will not offer two tickets. When it does offer two tickets, these may or may not be the cheapest combination of tickets.

There is a greater chance of Trainscanbecheaper.info finding the cheapest combination of tickets, than NRE.

Thanks , I'll give them another try tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.