• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multi TOC Smart-card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcm_

Hello, I regularly commute between Sandal & Agbrigg (SNA) to Barnsley (BNY). There are multiple different different routes you can take (i.e. change at Wakefield Wgt, for Kgt, change at Leeds, change at Doncaster, Meadowhall, Sheffield) and there are multiple different TOC’s I can use.

I usually travel on a weekly/monthly season ticket, and I recently I picked up a XC smart-card, and their website let me buy my season ticket, so I bought it, knowing that there is a smart-card validations on the Northern TVM at SNA but then when I read properly over the information, it said I had to touch one of the specific yellow pad, which I only recall seeing at Sheffield (as well as Leeds, but Sheffield is easier to get to for me).

In fact now I look at it, I cannot find any information on the XC website about weather it is valid on any other operators services, i.e. NR, TPE, GN, as well as XC, which I feel stupid for now, and I haven’t managed to contact XC all day, via numerous different numerous phone numbers, however all the smart-card posters, promotional materials I have seen, all seem to suggest it’s the same as my normal season ticket, but I can’t actually confirm that it will work.

I have looked through all the RUKForum Threads I can find, but there hasn’t actually been a direct addressing of this issue.

I would like to know if anyone has tried loading a XC or other smart-card at a NR TMV, and whether the ticket can be accepted and scanned by a NR conductor, on a XC smart-card, as well as whether you can BoJ is valid in the same way as is normally is on my paper season ticket.

Thanks in advance.
P C-M

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)

Season tickets issued between BNY <> SNA are valid on any operator on any permitted route

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=SNA&dest=BNY&tkt=7DS

This applies regardless of the medium in which that Season is held.

It is the responsibility of the train company to be able to inspect your ticket; it's not your problem if they can't :)

jamiearmley

Based on what I see on a day to day basis, any season can be loaded into any smart card at any smart enabled tvm. I have come across one "customer" who was having difficulty, incidentally on the leeds Doncaster route, but further investigation revealed she had claimed a refund on the season and was trying to travel for a month on her confirmation email. I would advise loading the ticket prior to travel rather than waiting till just before you board the train : they can be loaded as soon as purchased. Whilst Machine problems are the operators, not yours, a successful loading of your season will certainly make your life easier, and help you avoid a penalty fare and subsequent appeal. Best of luck!

jamiearmley

Interestingly, a little digging on national rail enquiries shows that for journeys sandal to Barnsley, multiple tickets are required for routes changing at Doncaster, Sheffield, meadowhall and Leeds. This would suggest that the only permitted route is that via wakefield westgate and kirkgate, and that journeys made on this season via Leeds, meadowhall, Sheffield and Doncaster are not valid, unless two season tickets are held to split the journey. I don't pretend to be an expert, but is there anyone about who may know more?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I haven’t looked up the routings but I am sure that via Leeds would not be on a permitted route, and via Doncaster or Sheffield sound rather dubious as well.

pcm_

...I am sure that via Leeds would not be on a permitted route...

The main reason I usually do this route, is mainly because a NR Guard told me it was a better permitted route, because it was throwing it down, and since there is only 1TpH from Wgt to Kgt, you normally end up doing the 15 minute walk, and this guard told me it was fine, and furthermore, the gates at Leeds have always accepted my ticket, I had assumed it was fine.

As for via Meadowhall, I was told when a train from BNY to LDS, was cancelled, that my ticket was perfectly valid via Meadowhall or Sheffield, however, that advice was from a fellow commuter, who lived near Fitzwilliam (FZW) station, in West Yorkshire.

Thank-you all, for your help and advice!
P C-M

pcm_

It isn’t, particularly. I was just wondering what TOC’s do accept smart-cards, with valid tickets loaded

jamiearmley

I think that sometimes there is a trade off between rule and actual experience. Whilst via wakefield may perhaps be the only permitted route I know I would certainly allow via Leeds on my train. I would advise against leaving Leeds station as this may be the point at which the lack of validity is discovered and dealt with. In the absence of any easement I would always stress however that the route I am advising is not permitted, the reason why I am advising the route, and the mitigation the passenger needs to take in order not to fall foul of the rules, eg . Not leaving Leeds station en route. For example, there is a negative easement prohibiting journeys from brighouse to dewsbury via huddersfield unless separate tickets are bought. In practice, as long as you don't leave the station at huddersfield, this is not enforced.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Our staff brief states something to the effect of " A Railway smartcard is a Railway smartcard no matter which TOC it's issued by, the ticket that's on it is the important thing"

Status
Not open for further replies.