• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multiple breaks of journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

janecr

Are multiple breaks of journey on an Anytime Return? Can I use my ticket to Padstow to do this?

Day 1 Portsmouth to Exeter
Day 2 Exeter to Liskeard
Day 3 Liskeard to Padstow

And can I do multiple stops on way back with longer gaps in between?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Are multiple breaks of journey [allowed] on an Anytime Return?
Yes. As long as you aren't doubling back and are on a permitted route you can break your journey as many times as you wish. Your final leg must commence within the ticket's validity period.

Last edited:

janecr

Does the same apply to an Off Peak Return? Website (see below) says break of journey is allowed but no time restriction given - and does it literally mean one break of journey? And second question - is the bus from Bodmin Parkway to Padstow the standard bus or is there a special rail one? Was thinking about getting bus from Liskeard to save long wait at Bodmin if standard bus but not sure if this allowed.

Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.
You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel on Off-Peak tickets unless the ticket restriction for the journey you are making does not allow it. If you intend to start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station, please call 03457 48 49 50 to check if it is available on your specific journ

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is no limit to the number of times you can break your journey (other than practical limits imposed by the times of trains) within the validity period.

sheff1

Established Member
And second question - is the bus from Bodmin Parkway to Padstow the standard bus or is there a special rail one?

It is a standard bus (and a not particularly comfortable one in my experience !). Most journeys operate through from Plymouth via Liskeard.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Buses from Bodmin Parkway are listed in the National Rail Timetable, but without local knowledge I would say they are just ordinary local buses that through rail tickets to PADSTOW BUS are accepted on.

greatkingrat

Established Member
You can't split your journey over 3 days on the outward portion of an Off Peak return, you can break your journey overnight but must complete it on the 2nd day.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
On an Off Peak Return you may break your journey as many times as you like, unless it is restricted by the particular restriction for that journey (which can only apply for the outward). Any travel on the outbound must be completed by 0429 the day following start of validity (unless an overnight break of journey is "necessary" - some complication here), and any travel on the return by one calendar month after start of validity.

Buses from Bodmin Parkway are listed in the National Rail Timetable, but without local knowledge I would say they are just ordinary local buses that through rail tickets to PADSTOW BUS are accepted on.

Correct, it's the standard Western Greyhound service (550 or something I think) which is a high-floor minibus of the kind only seen in Cornwall :) The stop is outside the station, to the right as you have your back to the station. Departures are shown on the station departures board and the signal box cafe is a good place to wait if you need to!

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
Correct, it's the standard Western Greyhound service (550 or something I think) which is a high-floor minibus of the kind only seen in Cornwall :) The stop is outside the station, to the right as you have your back to the station. Departures are shown on the station departures board and the signal box cafe is a good place to wait if you need to!

Worsten Greyhound went bust about 18 months ago thankfully. The worst run bus company on the face of the planet in my opinion. It is now route numbers 11 and 11a run by Plymouth Citybus and called GoCornwall to avoid confusion I suppose. One point is when you are at Parkway don't make the mistake in getting on the Liskeard Plymouth direction buses.

Last edited by a moderator:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the clarification. Hope it's not changed too much as WG was one of the friendliest and most helpful bus companies I've travelled with! I assume this was a result of the arson attack?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Worsten Greyhound went bust about 18 months ago thankfully. The worst run bus company on the face of the planet in my opinion.

Seems that most industry insiders disagree with you.

janecr

Thanks all - there are two different answers re the break of journey - one that I can split it as many times as like and one that it has to be completed on the second day - any views on which is correct as I was planning to have two overnight stops?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The outward journey on an off peak return, that is.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks all - there are two different answers re the break of journey - one that I can split it as many times as like and one that it has to be completed on the second day - any views on which is correct as I was planning to have two overnight stops?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The outward journey on an off peak return, that is.

Only one overnight break is permitted on the outward journey of an Off-Peak return, which has a validity of 1 (+1) day. Multiple breaks of journey would be permitted on the outward journey of an Anytime return, which has a validity of 5 days.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Only one overnight break is permitted on the outward journey of an Off-Peak return, which has a validity of 1 (+1) day. Multiple breaks of journey would be permitted on the outward journey of an Anytime return, which has a validity of 5 days.

...and only if it "is not reasonable to complete the journey that day".

Status
Not open for further replies.