• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multiple Leg Journey - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankmc

Hi.

I need to do the following journey at the end of June

Day 1
Downham Market - Southampton (4 hours in Southampton)
Southampton - Great Yarmouth

Day 2
Great Yarmouth - Downham Market

Is it possible to so this on the same ticket? Currently, I'm adding up it's going to cost me around £300.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

There are probably better ways of doing it, but a simple one is:
Great Yarmouth(GYM)-Southampton (SOU); Off Peak return (SVR): £81.50
Downham Market (DOW)-GYM; SVR: £25.40
Total=£106.90 (Assuming all off peak)

One would use:
DOW-Ely, Outward portion of DOW-GYM SVR
Ely-SOU, Outward portion of GYM-SOU SVR (This is part of an allowed route from GYM-SOU)
SOU-GYM, return portion of GYM-SOU SVR
GYM-DOW, return portion of DOW-GYM SVR

Hope you understand what I mean, and that it helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JB_B

Established Member
Hi.

I need to do the following journey at the end of June

Day 1
Downham Market - Southampton (4 hours in Southampton)
Southampton - Great Yarmouth

Day 2
Great Yarmouth - Downham Market

Is it possible to so this on the same ticket? Currently, I'm adding up it's going to cost me around £300.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

How many of you are travelling? Are you going 1st class? I'm struggling to get up to £300 for one person standard class. Hard to say with no info on times or day of week.

For one person, standard class (and if you're willing to go via Ely on the way from Southampton to Yarmouth), the upper-limit-worst-case is probably £88.20 anytime day return Downham Market to Southampton plus £25.40 offpeak return Downham Market - Great Yarmouth. (Only no good if you're leaving Yarmouth before 9am Mon-Fri on day 2 in which case maybe ~£11 extra).

Depending on times there probably will be cheaper flexible options and that's before looking at advances/splits/local rovers which will almost certainly get you a cheaper and/or quicker combination.

tankmc

How many of you are travelling? Are you going 1st class? I'm struggling to get up to £300 for one person standard class. Hard to say with no info on times or day of week.

For one person, standard class (and if you're willing to go via Ely on the way from Southampton to Yarmouth), the upper-limit-worst-case is probably £88.20 anytime day return Downham Market to Southampton plus £25.40 offpeak return Downham Market - Great Yarmouth. (Only no good if you're leaving Yarmouth before 9am Mon-Fri on day 2 in which case maybe ~£11 extra).

Depending on times there probably will be cheaper flexible options and that's before looking at advances/splits/local rovers which will almost certainly get you a cheaper and/or quicker combination.

There are two of us travelling. We have a two together railcard. The issue is we need to be in Southampton by 10:30 so that means we need to be on the peak 6:31 train from Downham. The other journeys are more flexible and all off-peak

Veteran Member
There are two of us travelling. We have a two together railcard. The issue is we need to be in Southampton by 10:30 so that means we need to be on the peak 6:31 train from Downham. The other journeys are more flexible and all off-peak

Now we know this information, someone might be able to find a better option.

The tickets JB_B has suggested wouldn't attract discount.

However, I can't quickly find a cheaper flexible option.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
For the part of your journey between London and Southampton, you can use the South West Trains promotional day return for £26. It doesn't attract a railcard discount, but has more lenient time restrictions than the Two Together Railcard in that you can use it on the 09:05 Waterloo to Southampton train, which will get you to Southampton at 10:22. For the part of your journey north of London then it might be worth looking into splitting tickets at places like Cambridge and Manningtree.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
£82.10 Anytime Day Return DOW-SOU. No card discounts. Must travel via Cambridge.
£16.75 Off Peak Return (SVR) GYM-DOW, with 2-Together discount. After 0900.
So £98.85 each all up, the only downside being the Cambridge routeing on the return.
There are no cheap options involving through tickets from Great Yarmouth or Norwich giving a return option via Ipswich, because they are not in the Network area (Downham Market is).
You also miss out on the Mk3 rolling stock and main line service on the Ipswich route, and the higher frequency.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How about:

Downham Market - Manningtree Anytime Day Return £29.80 (not via London)
Excess outward portion to (+Any Permitted) £17.30
Waterloo-Southampton Central SWT Promotional Day Return £26.00
Stowmarket - Great Yarmouth Anytime Day Single £15.10 (£9.95 railcard price)
Great Yarmouth - Downham Market Off Peak Day Single £24.90 (£16.45 railcard price)

You'd be able to use your Two Together Railcard on the Stowmarket-Great Yarmouth and Great Yarmouth-Downham Market tickets.

This would make the total £99.50 each if you use your Two Together Railcard. Note that the train between Liverpool Street and Norwich would need to call at Manningtree and Stowmarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.